What's new

Buying mistakes, particularly new DE users

Newbie’s try too much stuff instead of just learning to shave with one soap one razor one brush and one blade. There really isn’t a spit and a hollers difference between one thing and the other.

+1. It's too easy to get caught up in changing equipment instead of perfecting technique. Granted there's some not-so-hot razors and blades out there, but most are good. For the last two days, I've used a rebranded Weishi and canned foam and it works. But the most telling is now I do a one-pass or one pass with a second pass on my neck, and getting DFS, with no special tricks. When I first went back to SE and tried DE, it was multi-pass for the same results.

I read the forums, saw that most people liked Astra's, even if it wasn't everyone's favorite so I ordered a box of 100. I used them up with no problem. Just for fun after I had used them up I got a sampler and found most of them about the same. People recommended Gillette Silver Blues and I ended up liking those just a little better as well and I got a box of 100 of those.

Had I done this, I would have 98 unused Astra blades in my inventory; it literally tore up my face leaving me with painful stipic pen and alum block memories. I've documented these results.. I believe I would also have 98 unused GSB blades, but I'll need to refer to my notes on the PC.

IIRC, Personna blue blades had the highest rate of success. Personna blue med prep blades was a step above; therefore, gained approval from some Personna blue failures.

I've tried nearly 10 different blades. Both Personna blades and Kai were my favorites. Even Feather blades didn't make the cut since the first three 4-pass shaves were terrible, but followed by three good shaves.
Buying soaps in multiple based only upon scent from one particular soap maker rather than one scent from several makers/bases. I fell into this long ago and had regret that I didn’t have a larger collection of brands rather than scents.
So true!! Wish I was given this advice when starting.

Thinking i actually might appreciate products touted for their scent appeal, buying into the hype, i should have known better. If i can detect a scent while i shave it's over-scented, if i can detect a scent after the shave even worse. I was smart enough to never sample aftershaves or colognes.
dave

If I could give advice to a noob it’d be find a shave guru buddy that’s made all the mistakes and ask him before you buy anything, also take his advice on pretty much everything.

Got one, can’t even imagine how much $ this guy has saved me lol

@guitarslinger

The only advice that I can offer new people to the hobby is to enjoy what you have if you like the stuff you have bought. Just because someone released a new soap base, new razor, new aftershave formulation doesn’t mean that your stuff is suddenly not good anymore.

As far as purchasing blades in quantities of 100...I don't know.

I first purchased 100 Voskhods when I started DE shaving and I don't remember having bad experiences with them. And I bought them because of their price.

Just recently, I bought another 100 Voskhods. And...man!

It's like between that 1st 100 and the 2nd 100 my facial hair went from the kind of stubble you might see on Legolas the Elf to the stubble of Lee Marvin from "The Dirty Dozen". Tough, grey stubble. Stubble that had "seen the elephant". Stubble that had shot a man in Memphis, just to see him die.

And all of a sudden, shaving with the Voskhods was like The Spanish Inquisition.

The gear stays the same. Most times, it's you that changes!

Buying unscented because I thought I had sensitive skin (which I do to tallow but not to any fragrances I've tried).

Buy a decent razor (ask around here or elsewhere for consensus)
Buy decent blades (see above)
Start with a mass market cream like Nivea or Proraso.

Learn technique through repetition of your shaves. As your results improve, you can be confident that you are actually learning "how" to shave, as opposed to just benefitting from "better gear". Golfers, too, are always chasing that miracle putter, or wedge. DON'T.
Six months to a year down the road, then you can look at splashing some $$$ on better gear, because you will understand how to get the most out of it. Add a decent brush, and start to consider soaps, too. But do not go crazy . . . find a scent you like or, more importantly, your partner likes. Rinse and repeat.

Mistakes I made were changing gear too often. A poor mechanic blames his tools and that's exactly what I did early on. Definitely too many different blades and too many different soaps to start off with. When I found something I liked I would stock up on it only to realize in time that I didn't like it as much as I though. Newer better products are always being introduced so you really don't need to stock up on anything. Lots of shaving soap got repurposed to shower duty and lots of blades were given away. I've tried about every blade and every soap out there at this point. I started out buying full tubs of everything and 100 packs of blades before I got smarter and started trading soap samples and blades with other members.

Razors and brushes I tried everything and anything to find my favorites that I use every day now. I'm happy I did that but it wasn't cheap to do. It would have been nice to know what to buy first but I guess that's how it works sometimes. I probably wouldn't have shelled out that kind of cash starting out but I've done so many times over since. I started this hobby after reading about saving money on shaving. All said and done that hasn't happened but I'm now enjoying and looking forward to the once mundane task of shaving.

Mine was buying a case of VDH soap a week into wet shaving. I ended up PIFing 10 of the 12.

LOL. Good travel puck.

I was not so new and bought a large pure badger brush that was really just a porcupine with a handle. And a puck of ivy scented artisan soap followed me home. Ugh! Smelled like Aunt Agatha's closet.

If you have a Dollar General or a Dollar store near by you, look for DE blades. Dollar General has QC and Customer service. 1$ for 5 blades beats any sampler pack. They literally compete with Feathers or my Astra SP. The DG blades were my first ever and to be honest they are better than my Astra SP just because they were my first and met Astra SP effectiveness.

A sampler pack is not worth it! Someone is literally making double profit off of you buying a sampler pack. If you have a friend, ask them for a pack. Otherwise, go to DG or Dollar Store.

CVS has 5 blades for 6$ which I personally could not justify when you can buy 50 blades for that price. the DG 1$ for 5 blades was more than I ever expected.

Last edited:
Had I done this, I would have 98 unused Astra blades in my inventory; it literally tore up my face leaving me with painful stipic pen and alum block memories. I've documented these results.. I believe I would also have 98 unused GSB blades, but I'll need to refer to my notes on the PC.

IIRC, Personna blue blades had the highest rate of success. Personna blue med prep blades was a step above; therefore, gained approval from some Personna blue failures.

I've tried nearly 10 different blades. Both Personna blades and Kai were my favorites. Even Feather blades didn't make the cut since the first three 4-pass shaves were terrible, but followed by three good shaves.

So true!! Wish I was given this advice when starting.

Sorry for your experience with Astra blades. I'd like to argue that maybe your prep isn't as well? They are super sharp blades for me. Maybe you are using an agressive shave? Remember, angle starts with the handle perpendicular to your skin, not the safety bar.

Lots of brilliant posts over here.

If I'm going to add a lesson learned based on experience; Overpaying or overstressing for limited anything. Many of my limited anything are just gathering dust.

Get the ones you like, the scents that intrigued you, and try your best not to be swayed by hype, there's always a next best thing.

Sorry for your experience with Astra blades. I'd like to argue that maybe your prep isn't as well? They are super sharp blades for me. Maybe you are using an agressive shave? Remember, angle starts with the handle perpendicular to your skin, not the safety bar.
Yes, I prefer Astra for sharpness and comfort over any brand.

Top Bottom