What's new

Buying mistakes, particularly new DE users

Two to three of each blade was all that I needed. Based on my notes, I've only tried 12 different DE blades leaving the other samplers unused.

With each blade lasting approximately three 4-pass shaves, you ought to discover enough to purchase a 5-pack for the next heat of competition if that floats your boat -- or purchase a 100-pack if confident. I've also tried only 3 SE blade types; a single blade of each gave me sufficient idea, but a second blade sealed the deal since each blade lasts 6-9 shaves.

My notes will provide reference if I stop SE and start DE again.

Doh! I read my notes incorrectly. My three top DE blades are blue Personna Med Prep, blue Personna lab, and Kai.

I now own too many items that I need to consciously gift/donate/dispose since I lack the real estate for my many hobbies. A future PIF seems inevitable.

There aren't really all that many mistakes to avoid for new users. I'm just having a little fun and playing the devil's advocate here but reading this forum for advice,while a great thing, could also be a bad idea for some new users.

It depends on the user. If you take the advice of wet shaving hobbyists too literally you could get the wrong impression, you could end up with too much gear and you could think there is always something better that you just haven't found yet.:)

I read the forums, saw that most people liked Astra's, even if it wasn't everyone's favorite so I ordered a box of 100. I used them up with no problem. Just for fun after I had used them up I got a sampler and found most of them about the same. People recommended Gillette Silver Blues and I ended up liking those just a little better as well and I got a box of 100 of those.

I still use a basic boar brush. I'm definitely not into multiply brushes or big floppy brushes. I tried a few of the commonly recommended soaps and they were all fine but I finally settled on just sticking to Stirling soaps.

There's not really any advice that works for all new wet shavers because not everyone agrees with any one piece of advice.

I broke most of the rules. I started out with a straight. I learned to hone from the beginning. I got a DE after that for everyday use. I bought a box of blades from the start. I only have one basic brush, one brand of soap, no aftershaves.

According to common advice,I should have a large DE razor collection, large DE blade collection, a large collection of brushes, soaps and aftershaves. I have 6 straights and 1 DE. I have a few, small hones.

The only advice I have would be do what you enjoy.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to stick with the name brands when starting out. EJ, Merkur, Parker, Muhle, etc. Omega, Yaqui, etc. brushes work well. Stirling, Tabac, Porasso, Arko, Taylor of Old Bond Street are well regarded soaps. Blades are more variable. Start with Astra, Derby Merkur, Derby, or other well recognized names.

Quite a different view here based on my own mistakes

1. Don't start with a boring mild razor like EJ, Merkur or Muhle, especially when they're zamak. Start with a nice open comb in brass like a Fatip Grande/Gentile or a Gillette Old Type. If you want to go more efficient get a Muhle R41. Or start with a Yintal Bronze SB off AliExpress since it's made of brass and is quite efficient. It also makes a good donor razor (top cap, handle) for DEs like Gillette Old Types, R41 or Fatips where you just use their open comb baseplates.

2. Don't ignore handles and top caps. A R41 is a killer razor with a brass top cap (e.g. Yintal Bronze) and a titanium handle from one of the Russian artisans on eBay. A titanium handle is a keeper and will fit on your other DE purchases.

3. Avoid mass-market soaps like the plague. Arko, Proraso, Cella and Tabac all have inferior synthetic scents and TOBS isn't much better. If you want a soap that smells nice start with a decent artisan. Much better scents include Klar Seifen, MWF, Truefitt and Hill 1805/Apsley. Get at least one really good soap like Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti, Stella, Manna or Tundra. If in the USA get a Grooming Dept. soap. These will show you how good soaps can be, and you need to know this for future purchases.

4. Agree with a Yaqi synthetic brush off AliExpress. As good as anything, in 24mm or 26mm.

5. Try out a sample pack of blades before purchasing 100. Include 7 o'clock Yellows, Astra SP and Nacet.

Last edited:
I'm sure I committed all of the aforementioned transgressions, and enjoyed every one of them. I will probably commit more of the same transgressions and enjoy them again.

I think the biggest mistake new guys make when starting out is not trying every razor, blade, soap, cream, brush and aftershave product available. It is tremendously good fun at a relatively small cost. Restraint is not all its cracked up to be. And then after you have accumulated a healthy stock of shaving gear you get a sense of what works for you and then you begin PIFing stuff and keeping your favourites. Life is short. Shaving is such a simple pleasure. Enjoy.

Buying soaps in multiple based only upon scent from one particular soap maker rather than one scent from several makers/bases. I fell into this long ago and had regret that I didn’t have a larger collection of brands rather than scents.

The main thing I learned is to be more patient!!

Try enough options to establish what works best. Then concentrate on fewer, high-quality items!!

Buying soaps in multiple based only upon scent from one particular soap maker rather than one scent from several makers/bases. I fell into this long ago and had regret that I didn’t have a larger collection of brands rather than scents.

Interesting observation. Certainly agree that new brands can give you a different perspective. For instance, Fitjar is sufficiently different to be - literally - a breath of fresh air.

I found buying more items helped me forget about the mistakes i made in the beginning. i also lost the piece of paper that listed the razors and their cost and put this down to a hobby. However I needed to make those mistakes and spend the money to get to where I am now. No regrets...

A lot of hyperboly spread by enthusiasts on forums is the norm in every hobby. I would also say try blade tucks of 5 before buying 100+ because they are very YMMV thing.

If you read the forums, you might think BIC Chrome Platinum is sharper than almost anything out there, or even harsh because it's so damn terribly scary sharp. Well I shaved with one today to refresh my memory and I didn't feel it sharper or smoother than Astra SP. I actually think Astra SS is slightly better than both of those. My face, my razor, my technique etc. etc.

I think the biggest mistake new guys make when starting out is not trying every razor, blade, soap, cream, brush and aftershave product available. It is tremendously good fun at a relatively small cost. Restraint is not all its cracked up to be. And then after you have accumulated a healthy stock of shaving gear you get a sense of what works for you and then you begin PIFing stuff and keeping your favourites. Life is short. Shaving is such a simple pleasure. Enjoy.

No regrets!! I’ve always been an accumulator.

3. Avoid mass-market soaps like the plague. Arko, Proraso, Cella and Tabac all have inferior synthetic scents and TOBS isn't much better. If you want a soap that smells nice start with a decent artisan. Much better scents include Klar Seifen, MWF, Truefitt and Hill 1805/Apsley. Get at least one really good soap like Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti, Stella, Manna or Tundra. If in the USA get a Grooming Dept. soap. These will show you how good soaps can be, and you need to know this for future purchases.

Those "inferior" mass market soaps all lather better than most of the fruity artisan stuff and are perfect for beginners. It seems like every post you make here is about how much you hate Arko. Soap scent doesn't even linger and really shouldn't be the first priority in buying one.

actually I'll give you that Proraso soap isn't great, but the cream is fine

Last edited:
I love Proraso, Cella, Arko, Tabac, but my best soap happens to be artisan - Pannacrema Pure2O (tallow) and MWF close 2nd.

Newbie’s try too much stuff instead of just learning to shave with one soap one razor one brush and one blade. There really isn’t a spit and a hollers difference between one thing and the other.

Top Bottom