What's new

Your Most Unpopular/Controversial Shaving Opinion(s)

Traditional straight razors are obsolete and have been obsolete for longer than the horse and cart or horse-drawn ploughs. They are an anachronistic curiosity, and are still used today by a small number of people with an excess of free time, for primarily this reason.

Replaceable blade straight razors are not “shavettes”, they are modern straight razors and are superior technology, which is why they have replaced traditional straight razors for professional use. The blades are always sharp and consistent, they are more hygienic, there is no need for honing, stropping, lapping, oiling, or buying any of the associated clutter.

Safety razors of course superseded all kinds of straight razor for the home user, long ago, for reasons that are clearly stated in the name.

Is that controversial enough?

Traditional straight razors are obsolete and have been obsolete for longer than the horse and cart or horse-drawn ploughs. They are an anachronistic curiosity, and are still used today by a small number of people with an excess of free time, for primarily this reason.

Replaceable blade straight razors are not “shavettes”, they are modern straight razors and are superior technology, which is why they have replaced traditional straight razors for professional use. The blades are always sharp and consistent, they are more hygienic, there is no need for honing, stropping, lapping, oiling, or buying any of the associated clutter.

Safety razors of course superseded all kinds of straight razor for the home user, long ago, for reasons that are clearly stated in the name.

Where's the 'controversial' part?

Ah, here we go…. :D

I understand that as I wrote before I store them also on the side and up. Bristle down is a myth or … is it… ?? 😀

…but still hanging brush looks cool :) and keep the knot dust free 😎
Dust will still collect due to electrostatic charges. Physics is a beyotch, isn't it?

I love my replaceable blade straight razors. I have some real straights, but I never use them anymore. I need to put them on the BST.

Fact canned shaving foam works as good as or better than most traditional shaving soaps. Modern cartridge razors provide excellent shaves that can easily exceed most SR and DE shaves in terms of closeness, ease of use, with less irritation, and lastly their cheaper in the long run than maintaining a den full of TWS shaving items.

I only apply foam once per shave, a mix of WTG, XTG, ATG

No more foam back brushes easier to use for a similar result

Despite its price, the feather AS-D2 is superior to the tech

Feather blade is too sharp

The Merkur blade is excellent

I only apply foam once per shave, a mix of WTG, XTG, ATG

No more foam back brushes easier to use for a similar result

Despite its price, the feather AS-D2 is superior to the tech

Feather blade is too sharp

The Merkur blade is excellent
+1 on the last point, but they are pricey!

You're speaking truth to power brother re: all the Razor Totin' Jims out there (apologies to Koko Taylor).

Fact canned shaving foam works as good as or better than most traditional shaving soaps. Modern cartridge razors provide excellent shaves that can easily exceed most SR and DE shaves in terms of closeness, ease of use, with less irritation, and lastly their cheaper in the long run than maintaining a den full of TWS shaving items.
This very ymmv :) except for high-price Fusion cartridges I was always very unhappy with the results. Mainly with cheap disposables. In all terms, closeness, irritation free, no tugging, DE was much better.
Even with expensive top of the line carts I had to go ATG to get to closeness level of R41 shave which many times led to cuts etc. So yes top of the line carts are fine for quick shaving to a decent CCS level but cheap disposable razors are nowhere close to my DE.
About canned goo again expensive ”pro-glide“ gel was ok. Cheap noname goo not good. I tried recently low end goo with bad results so I still remember well.

I've got one more unpopular opinion, if you're going to shave traditionally, use traditional gear and stay away from synthetic shaving brushes and get badger, boar, horse, or something real. I don't care how close they work to an organic brush, I ain't gonna use one. Blech!

Top Bottom