What's new

Your Most Unpopular/Controversial Shaving Opinion(s)

Hi, guys!

So we all know the shaving world is extremely YMMV, and even choices that seem to work for 90% of people don't work well for the other 10% (or perhaps the situation is reversed!) This is the thread to talk about them (mostly :biggrin:) judgment-free regardless of whether it's a difference in technique or prep, product preference, or whatever else you think might leave others shocked.

I'll start with a bit of a grenade:

I think canned Barbasol produces a pretty decent shave as long as it's preceded by good prep. Maybe because I have oily skin and it's somewhat drying.

All cartridges are overpriced crap and can’t provide good results.

Nope, the Trac 2/GII/PII is a fine shaver!

84A7F451-7113-48D3-AACC-C9FD34508C3E.jpeg

BDFC8133-68FA-4C4F-88A9-8120335AD267.jpeg

6196C5FE-7884-4E4B-B8E2-7AFE6EF30EF5.jpeg

I think Pre-shave oil is a waste of money and does nothing to help the shave.
IMO there are two considerations that I think influence this. 1) Hard water makes it more difficult to make good lather. 2) Poor technique leads to irritation. I have only been using DE razors for about 6 months, but I found that Shave Secret oil* can be helpful to improve the shave in case of subpar lather and/or poor technique.

*Granted, Shave Secret isn't necessarily marketed as pre-shave oil, but it's the only shave oil I have tried, and I found it helpful.

After trying both mass market and inexpensive soaps and creams as well as a few ''artisan'' soaps, I came to the conclusion that the difference is very small and unless I use something that is absolutely terrible, I really don't feel how an ''artisan'' soap is going to make my shave much better than Arko for instance.

“Don’t chase BBS”, they say. But it’s precisely what I’m in this hobby for - to get long-lasting, totally smooth shaves, without irritation, consistently. If I wanted to settle for so-so shaves I wouldn’t bother trying different razors and soaps, or improving my technique, and I wouldn’t come here.
I want to get there unconsciously and without thinking. I set the stage wit good products and prep but then I let it go. If it works I’m happy but I don’t chase for the maximum each and every time.

DFS+ is where I end up mostly :)

Our ancestors would laugh their heads off at what we do and collect. All a guy needs is one razor, one brush, a few blades (all the same brand), and a puck of shaving soap. Mug is optional. Maybe a jar of Old Spice.

I can't believe I just said that out loud! Of course, in our hearts, we all know it's true but shaving has become a hobby for many of us, not just a daily task (for those who shave regularly).

OK, you asked... :p

1. Most people don't have sensitive skin and a coarse beard: their technique just sucks.

2. There is zero science to making a decent lather; those patented techniques are a circle jerk.

3. Shaving with a straight is primarily a demonstration of perserverance (or bloody-mindedness).

4. Synthetic brushes are indubitably superior.

5. "YMMV" is for the pusillanimous.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
On a thread discussing the merits of expensive versus inexpensive razors or brushes, within four posts someone will use a cheap versus expensive motor car analogy.

On a thread discussing how to extend blade life, within three posts someone will miss the point entirely and say "but life is too short' or 'but blades are so cheap'.

On a thread dicussing how to clean a brush, within two posts someone will come up with the witty and original line that they clean it with soap and water every time they use it. They may add 'lol' or 'just saying' at the end of their post in the style of a five year old.

On a thread asking for one single favourite of anything, witin a single post someone will choose more than one because they can't pick just one, they can't read the question, or they are just special.

But it’s precisely what I’m in this hobby for - to get long-lasting, totally smooth shaves, without irritation, consistently.
Same here.
I really don't feel how an ''artisan'' soap is going to make my shave much better than Arko for instance.
Yes, but Arko would be a great soap at any price.
There is zero science to making a decent lather; those patented techniques are a circle jerk.
Soap, water, and time. That's it. If you miss it on Monday, try something different on Tuesday.

1. Most people don't have sensitive skin and a coarse beard: their technique just sucks.

2. There is zero science to making a decent lather; those patented techniques are a circle jerk.

3. Shaving with a straight is primarily a demonstration of perserverance (or bloody-mindedness).

You betcha! Thanks

Funny stuff (except the synthetic brush; what are you thinking man??). :)

Top Bottom