What's new

Your Most Unpopular/Controversial Shaving Opinion(s)

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That is correct. I would still be autistic even if @Mike M did like ARKO! shave soap

Every razor since I bought a RazoRock Hawk V3OC and every soap purchase since I bought a stick of ARKO! to qualify for “free” shipping (it was $2.99USD for the lonesome stick or $7.99USD for shipping back then…) has been a misallocation of time and munny, so totally agree.
I feel that way about the razors I've purchased since I bought my Claymore Evolution back in February. It's wonderful and I like the AC format.... however, I really wanted to try a couple Vintage Gillettes and I have two models now. I am enjoying them but they are a luxury... not a necessity... that's for sure.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
*taps mic and clears throat*

SHAVE BRUSHES WITH CHUBBY AND/OR RESIN HANDLES ARE UGLY. THAT IS ALL.

*puts on fire and tar resistant suit and drives away*
My wife hates the Butterscotch Semogue handles I have: Mistura and boar SOC brushes. She says... you can tell yourself they are Butterscotch if you want, but they are Home Depot Orange. I think she's either mocking me or scoffing at my purchases. I can never get those two straight. <eg>

My wife hates the Butterscotch Semogue handles I have: Mistura and boar SOC brushes. She says... you can tell yourself they are Butterscotch if you want, but they are Home Depot Orange. I think she's either mocking me or scoffing at my purchases. I can never get those two straight. <eg>
I have one of those handles :) my wife has never said anything :) took a long time to get her to use the purple henson :) so maybe a brush for her one day :) and I will let her pick that one out

She’s right, though, it’s orange. I don’t know why they all insist on calling orange butterscotch, but all the brush makers seem to do it.

Anyway, I’m just going to have a nice glass of butterscotch juice.

My opinion is that any brush should be stored bristles pointing down (I know this could start a world war). 😀
They have flat ends for a reason ;)

51C22FBE-A8C1-4B05-B779-C8C57B45CE49.jpeg

OK, you asked... :p

1. Most people don't have sensitive skin and a coarse beard: their technique just sucks.

2. There is zero science to making a decent lather; those patented techniques are a circle jerk.

3. Shaving with a straight is primarily a demonstration of perserverance (or bloody-mindedness).

4. Synthetic brushes are indubitably superior.

5. "YMMV" is for the pusillanimous.
1. Agree

2. Kind of agree

3. Disagree pretty strongly

4. Agree

5. Disagree. I think there truly are real differences among people and that some products (both software AND hardware) work much better for some than for others

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
She’s right, though, it’s orange. I don’t know why they all insist on calling orange butterscotch, but all the brush makers seem to do it.

Anyway, I’m just going to have a nice glass of butterscotch juice.
She has a bad habit of being right.... and I don't mean just thinking she's right. She actually is most of the time.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
They call it butterscotch because it is an attempt to mimic the butterscotch color of aged bakelite/catalin.
Orange is a very generic term for a wide variety of shades, whereas butterscotch is supposed to be the pale orange-yellow color of...
Butterscotch.
Some handle makers miss the mark when selecting the color needed to match butterscotch.

This may cause some controversy.

Simpson brushes are inconsistent. I have a few Simpson brushes that I still enjoy but don’t think I will buy another unless at a very deep discount. No other brush I own has the shedding problems I experienced with 5 Simpson brushes. Two were replaced and the other 3 began shedding badly beyond the warranty period. Particularly upsetting was my Major in Super. It had 30 to 35 uses but more than a year since purchase because it was only used for travel. Simpson flatly said it was out of warranty and my problem. Ultimately they offered to re-knot it but with shipping I could have bought a whole brush for less at one of the Major online retailers that typically run 10 to 20% off sales.

I suspect that it is nothing more than a quality control issue but the arrogance from the company is what really put me off to buying their products. It is truly sad because my Classic 2, Duke 3 both in Best and my Chubby 1 in Super are otherwise good brushes.

The flip side is that one of my Rudy Vey brushes with a Shavemac knot saw the knot break into two distinct pieces after several years. I contacted Rudy to repair the brush and he immediately said the knot had a defect and he repaired it for free. I believe Shavemac replaced the knot and both Rudy and Shavemac provide me with confidence that they stand behind their products and have earned my business.

I imagine that there are many good brush makers that stand behind what they sell and that is why the beloved by many Simpson brushes will not be purchased by me again.

Top Bottom