What's new

Your Most Unpopular/Controversial Shaving Opinion(s)

G

Guest2023

According to straight razor aficionado's logic, Rolls razor is the best razor ever made.

It is basically a SR on a stick, can be resharpened by Jnat, made of superior Sheffield steel and more nimble. Plus, you dont need to learn to use your non dominant arm!

I've got one more unpopular opinion, if you're going to shave traditionally, use traditional gear and stay away from synthetic shaving brushes and get badger, boar, horse, or something real. I don't care how close they work to an organic brush, I ain't gonna use one. Blech!
Here’s another one…why do we call plastic fibre brushes ‘synthetic brushes’? Why is everyone always so embarrassed about calling plastic plastic? Plastics are the ideal material for so many uses.

Here’s another one…why do we call plastic fibre brushes ‘synthetic brushes’? Why is everyone always so embarrassed about calling plastic plastic? Plastics are the ideal material for so many uses.
Plastic connotes something cheap. Synthetic sounds modern and technically advanced. Synthetic also appeals to people that don't want to use animal products for whatever reason. That's Marketing 101.

However, there actually is some modern synthetic fiber technology being used. These synthetic brushes are not like nylon scrub brushes. They have more in common with makeup brushes.

Aren't synthetics petroleum based? If so, that's a big negative for the earth friendly crowd. Maybe we need an EV shaving brush... ;)

Dust will still collect due to electrostatic charges.
How lazy are we? I can't be the only one whose post-shave brush maintenance routine includes a few trigger-loads of static-zapping from Uncle Milty.
milty.jpeg

But for the truly lazy, simply install my soon-to-be-available ceiling-mounted artisanal electrostatic precipitators (to be available on initial release in Shabby Chic, Mid-Century Modern, and Colonial designs).

Everything is petroleum based since goods have to be transported to you somehow. BTW, where are the dilithium crystals, transporters and replicators we were supposed to have by now?
😁
We can do video calls. That’s something that we used to think would be pretty cool when we got to the future. And back then we didn’t imagine video calls would happen on hand held mobile devices or could be free of charge. Even Kirk couldn’t video call Scotty from the toilet.

Spending time inventorying shave supplies, weighing soap containers, recording the number of lathers per tub, shave journaling, hot toweling, measuring the water temp inside a scuttle, drying and flipping blades = weird. 🤣😂 But heck who likes being normal…keep it strange my fellow shavers and have fun doing whatever makes you happy.

I've never said it out loud so I'm not sure if it fits any title but;

I fell in the trap, and spent many dollars on artisan soaps that have amazing
healing properties and will make you smell like Cary Grant walking into an
Italian resturant or make you turn heads at the prom in 1986 etc,,,

Reality is, I'm spending the day working, or not, but sweating. And 90% of the contact
I'm going to have is in the company of working guys or Home Depot.

"Parfume" means nothing to me. MWF or Arko's performance and clean soapy
smell works for me and Proraso Green is the perfect aftershave.

If I need to smell pretty for something later that night I've got that too

There, I said it, you all smell great. :)

Spending time inventorying shave supplies, weighing soap containers, recording the number of lathers per tub, shave journaling, hot toweling, measuring the water temp inside a scuttle, drying and flipping blades = weird. 🤣😂 But heck who likes being normal…keep it strange my fellow shavers and have fun doing whatever makes you happy.
Hey @Possum092, I'm not sure that a shave journal is all that weird. I started making notes on my shaves about 2 years ago when I started Straight razor shaving. I do it in a Microsoft Word, calendar format. I've found it is a useful reference of what works and what doesn't for me; what to keep doing and what to never try again! It is also a good platform to keep track of the current edge that I may have on any given razor being used, etc.. It doesn't take much time, and I have found it to be worthwhile for me.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
If @T.Orso is the post above me we are all good. ^^^Otherwise I don't believe it's a controversial opinion that people like this have no business on B&B.^^^

Clear misunderstanding of physics. Once you dry your brush manually, further drying occurs via evaporation, not gravity.
That doesn't seem right. What principle of physics applies?

If the manual drying removes all the water / lather, then there can't be any further drying. If some water / lather remains, why can't gravity contribute to further drying?

Fact canned shaving foam works as good as or better than most traditional shaving soaps. Modern cartridge razors provide excellent shaves that can easily exceed most SR and DE shaves in terms of closeness, ease of use, with less irritation, and lastly their cheaper in the long run than maintaining a den full of TWS shaving items.
What are "TWS shaving items?"

Top Bottom