What's new

Your Most Unpopular/Controversial Shaving Opinion(s)

That's exactly what Mr. Haney said but I made a quick escape.

Enjoy your Techmatic.
I have used mine in my rotation for decades. I got lucky and found almost a full case of refills for almost nothing when my local drug store closed. The trick with a Techmatic is angle. As long as you are careful with the angle, its a great shave with very little if any real effort. BUT!!!! If you hurry or treat it like say, a Trac II you are going to have a bad day. LOL!

I have used mine in my rotation for decades. I got lucky and found almost a full case of refills for almost nothing when my local drug store closed. The trick with a Techmatic is angle. As long as you are careful with the angle, its a great shave with very little if any real effort. BUT!!!! If you hurry or treat it like say, a Trac II you are going to have a bad day. LOL!

Isn't the Techmatic the one lovingly referred to as The World's Worst Razor and Gillettes Biggest Failure? Admittedly, I've never tried that razor and my Eb Dawson post was all in good fun.

It appears you're even more controversial than I am. :thumbup:

Isn't the Techmatic the one lovingly referred to as The World's Worst Razor and Gillettes Biggest Failure? Admittedly, I've never tried that razor and my Eb Dawson post was all in good fun.

It appears you're even more controversial than I am. :thumbup:
Yep, that is the razor. I think it is kinda like the Ford Pinto. A lot of negative hype for a not so bad product. :)

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I once lathered Nivea shaving cream in a can, and damn the lather was fantastic..I promptly disguarded the can of Nivea, and never tried that experiment again. I can't/won't accept that can of shaving cream may work better than a 30 dollar shave soap.
That's the least controversial statement I've seen in this entire thread.

We are prepared to pay any amount of money for soaps, razors, brushes and blades. We are prepared to engage in lengthy preparation routines. We are prepared to use elaborate methods for lathering and shaving and we'll go to any lengths post shave to give us a perfect finish and baby soft skin...

...Then someone comes along and says they get perfectly decent shaves with Dove bar soap and an old Mach 3 and we collectively lose it.

That's the least controversial statement I've seen in this entire thread.

We are prepared to pay any amount of money for soaps, razors, brushes and blades. We are prepared to engage in lengthy preparation routines. We are prepared to use elaborate methods for lathering and shaving and we'll go to any lengths post shave to give us a perfect finish and baby soft skin...

...Then someone comes along and says they get perfectly decent shaves with Dove bar soap and an old Mach 3 and we collectively lose it.
Some people have to justify the money they spend by knocking very simple and effective shaving routines, I mean some people not everyone!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
The "One Blade in February" or OBIF if you will is a terrible challenge. If you're still getting a DFS on day 29 of February why do you bother with more than a tuck of blades a year? (I respect you all, but I'm a bit dubious when I read your results) YMMV

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
As a one and done DE guy and a 3 and done with AC blades, One Blade in February wouldn't work too well for me..... I do like joining some of the monthly challenges/threads, but only a handful seem to be something I am motivated to do for a month.

I am still running a bunch of my own experiments since I'm still so new to wet shaving. I have to take a break from them as well, as they can take away some of the pleasure I get from the whole wet shaving experience if I let them.

As a one and done DE guy and a 3 and done with AC blades, One Blade in February wouldn't work too well for me..... I do like joining some of the monthly challenges/threads, but only a handful seem to be something I am motivated to do for a month.

I am still running a bunch of my own experiments since I'm still so new to wet shaving. I have to take a break from them as well, as they can take away some of the pleasure I get from the whole wet shaving experience if I let them.
The only problem with one and done is that with some blades it takes a shave or two to get the coatings on the blade to wear correctly for the best shave. Several brands can give a little bit of a rough shave for the 1st shave or two, then settle down to a nice comfortable shave. BUT as always YMMV.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The only problem with one and done is that with some blades it takes a shave or two to get the coatings on the blade to wear correctly for the best shave. Several brands can give a little bit of a rough shave for the 1st shave or two, then settle down to a nice comfortable shave. BUT as always YMMV.
I've read that... and I'm sure it's true because so many people have had that experience. I only have a handful of different blades and I've tried to push each DE blade through 3 shaves and none of them has made it. With each one, I'd had to bin it in the middle of the third shave so I went to two and done. With each of them, I could feel the blade losing its edge during the second shave, even though I made it through OK.. just not as nicely as the first shave.... Hence the current one and done status for me.

I do shave every other day at the most.. .and sometimes more days in between shaves. I have old man, coarse, grey whiskers. I also do 4 passes with every shave.... All contributing factors.... though my mind might be a culprit as well.

While I do admire those here who can get double or triple digit shaves out of a single DE blade, I have no plans to emulate them.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Phoenixkh some blades really only get good after 2-3 shaves, while others get worse. The Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum is so thickly coated that it needs a few shaves, while particularly Feather and BIC Platinum are sharp from the get go, with Feather also deteriorating after one shave. Except for the price they are the perfect one and done blade.

I recently also thought about joining thew one and done club, as I usually forget when I switched blades and so on...^^
But I also use my AC blades several times, they simply can do that and are also more expensive than DE blades which I have in abundance anyways.

I now shave daily to preserve my running caps. Why stubble kills fabric, no kidding.

Top Bottom