What's new

Your Most Unpopular/Controversial Shaving Opinion(s)

When I was a young child and for years there was a smell I often encountered so often that thought it was natural to old men—to a boy every man is old. It was nose-wrinkling to me. I was born in 1963. Over the decades both the odor and my memory of it disappeared...until last Christmas. I put two all-time classic soaps on my list to try for the first time, products so well known (ymmv) I (ymmv) couldn’t (ymmv) go (ymmv) wrong! Wrong! I opened one and there it was, the odious odor…Tabac!

If you can shave with a cartridge you can shave with a de, se and ac razor it's basically the same thing, use a decent brush and cream/soap for the prep.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I can get a good shave with the cheapest products available, but the good stuff always works better. Percentage wise it is quite a small difference, but to the skilled shaver that difference is worth every penny.

I have absolutely no animus toward shavers who have yet to develop the skills to feel the difference, or who are too darn cheap to pay the difference. I value your opinion, even though it clearly must be incorrect if it conflicts in any way with my own.

The Merkur Futur is the worst razor ever!
And Voskhod blades are the worst!
Is that really a B&B belief- That Voskhod blades are the worst? I just tried one for the first time yesterday, from a sampler pack and thought it was a decent blade.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm really enjoying this thread but I have very little to contribute. I have some opinions, of course, we all do. But mine are based on such limited overall knowledge. As I've said many times, I have an extremely limited paradigm. I know what's working for me at the moment. I'm learning a lot but I only have 5 months of wet shaving experience.

I agree with many of the concepts in this thread!! Absolutely SHOCKING!!:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

I especially endorse the thought that more $ does not guarantee a better shave. For example, I find MdC is about as good a soap as Haslinger’s. LOTH prefers Pinaud clubman to many expensive splashes. Astra SP are more comfortable and longer lasting than Feather blades, etc! But what do I know?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Is that really a B&B belief- That Voskhod blades are the worst? I just tried one for the first time yesterday, from a sampler pack and thought it was a decent blade.
Yes, yes they are. It's even rumored in some parts around here that the blade is the devil incarnate. I should know, I started the rumor and perpetuate it.
giphy.gif

Maybe the wrong razor? A couple of less then stellar blades shine when I put them in my Progress on 3.5 and higher…
I don't believe so. I tried them on different razors and they didn't work. Maybe I got a bad batch, who knows!
And having a ton of blade options, I moved on to others that are stellar performers for me.

I don't believe so. I tried them on different razors and they didn't work. Maybe I got a bad batch, who knows!
And having a ton of blade options, I moved on to others that are stellar performers for me.
The Progress might be special in that regard…
My routine is now to try all meh blades at least once in the Progress again. Voskhods for instance work very well for me there :)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'll remind new members that nothing posted in this thread is factual truth, it's all the opinion of the guy making the post.
If you read something here, don't take it as gospel, it's just guys posting their own personal opinion.
If you have a question, don't be shy about asking and don't let any opinions in this thread derail your journey.
Don't be concerned about following any advice here, chances are you fit into the 90% that tried and true methods will work for, not the 10% that are posting.

To the guys posting in this thread, be careful about making statements that appear to represent factual accounts.
There are a few posts here that are couched in terms of absolutes rather than what works for YOU.
We want new guys to be successful and not get sidetracked by what a few outliers post in this thread in terms of what they prefer over what common experience has shown to be effective.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'll remind new members that nothing posted in this thread is factual truth, it's all the opinion of the guy making the post.
If you read something here, don't take it as gospel, it's just guys posting their own personal opinion.
If you have a question, don't be shy about asking and don't let any opinions in this thread derail your journey.
Don't be concerned about following any advice here, chances are you fit into the 90% that tried and true methods will work for, not the 10% that are posting.

To the guys posting in this thread, be careful about making statements that appear to represent factual accounts.
There are a few posts here that are couched in terms of absolutes rather than what works for YOU.
We want new guys to be successful and not get sidetracked by what a few outliers post in this thread in terms of what they prefer over what common experience has shown to be effective.
Well said Phil.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

I think that probably the most surprising thing for me about traditional wet shaving. I mean, I knew we all have different whiskers and the skin on our faces vary, but I had no idea shaving was this subjective. I expected a more commonality.... but that sure doesn't seem to be the case.

I think it was said here somewhere.. if you ask people to list their favorite and worst razor blade, for instance... there will be an equal number of votes for the best and worst. I find that odd. But that seems to be the norm... what works for one person might be horrible for someone else. That's why I try to determine what someone likes.... and if I'm looking for advice, get it from someone who has the same check boxes I have.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.

That is correct. I would still be autistic even if @Mike M did like ARKO! shave soap

Even if my kit was perfect I would still want to buy more!

Every razor since I bought a RazoRock Hawk V3OC and every soap purchase since I bought a stick of ARKO! to qualify for “free” shipping (it was $2.99USD for the lonesome stick or $7.99USD for shipping back then…) has been a misallocation of time and munny, so totally agree.

Top Bottom