What's new

Your Morning Mug

Ah..... finally got my shipment in from Counter Culture after some credit card replacement drama.

Farmhouse (a seasonal SO featuring a signature farm... no idea which farm is currently up to bat)

Clever Coffee Dripper (question... who else pronounces this as Cleever?)
13 grams coffee (lock nut on the Hario is stuck! need to bring some pliers to work)
208 grams water (1:16 ratio) @ 205 degrees
3 minute immersion, 1 minute drawdown

It was a little over extracted. I'm attributing that to the fine grind from the stuck Hario. The coffee didn't drawdown as quickly as I would have liked. I really need to purchase the mod kit from Orphan Espresso to make this a better brewing grinder.

$20130602_193800.jpg
Last night my lady & I tried our hand at home roasting on the stove for the first time. Pictured is the result of our first attempt (half a pound of Rwanda AA). We aimed for a medium/light roast, although what we got was quite visibly uneven. It took about 7 minutes, which I gather is a little faster than it should take, so we'll start at a lower temperature next time.

It is most definitely drinkable though! I had a cup via the French press this morning and if this is what inexpertly home-roasted coffee tastes like, I can't wait to get good at this. I'd be drinking it now if it wasn't for that pesky "needing to sleep" thing.

Once this batch is over, I've got a half pound of Guatemalan begging to be roasted dark.

Final note- I wasn't in an hurry this morning so I ground it by hand, and it felt like a lot more effort than my evenly roasted stuff from the local market. Or maybe my arms were just tired from my first attempts at suspension training yesterday.

-John

Interesting looking roast, were you using a cast iron pan or a pot? There does look to be a lot of roast variation there, from scorched beans to lightly roasted, but all that matters is the taste. Sounds like you are a making a good start.

Grinding lightly roasted beans does take a lot more effort than the typical roast that is sold at retail. When I hand grind a light roast it sometimes feels like grinding rocks.

Yes! Another home roaster in the making! It's addicting. You might as well start clearing out space for a roaster now, it is an inevitable purchase.

Definitely good fun! No fire alarms went off either, which surprised me. I think our kitchen one is actually a heat detector rather than a smoke alarm.

I was using a saute pan with a fairly thick base. I'll stick to using it until I feel like it's holding me back more than my technique, then maybe I'll think about some kind of upgrade (can't think what other hobby started out that way....).
If I get really organised, I might even document the process a little better next time.

New discovery: this roast tastes better through a moka pot than my usual stuff. I think it's because moka pots get quite hot before they're done brewing, and burns the coffee a little. Since this roast is on the lighter side (the occasional scorched bean aside), it ends up working quite well.

-John

New discovery: this roast tastes better through a moka pot than my usual stuff. I think it's because moka pots get quite hot before they're done brewing, and burns the coffee a little. Since this roast is on the lighter side (the occasional scorched bean aside), it ends up working quite well.

-John

John, I've heard of some people using "just off boil" water in their Moka pot to decrease the amount of time needed on the stovetop, thus decreasing the exposure to heat for the beans. Also, pulling the pot from the heat while the brew is still gurgling out will help as well. I've only tested this twice, and didn't perfect it so of course... ymmv.

Finished up some two week old Ethiopia Sidamo Natural. It was my first time roasting this coffee and it went from 1st crack into the start of 2nd very quickly. It had a bit of a stinky fragrance about it as well, not overpowering but not welcomed. I hope to have better luck with it next time.

Just made some "cold press" poured some nasty yuban into a bottle of dasani let it sit for a few hours shaking once in a while, strained it into a washed out McDonalds soda cup with a coffee filter over top. Pretty strong. Yes this is legit, if you saw the coffee pot my co workers use you would do the exact same thing.

Top Bottom