What's new

Your favourite Bay Rum Aftershave

Dominica Bay Rum is/was the best. They stopped making it a few years ago. The recipe is just Bay and cane alcohol spirits. It was from the Caribbean island of Dominica and they used to use old Banks Beer bottles from Barbados as the containers and a cork stopper.

D.R. Harris is my favorite but the scent isn’t too strong or long lasting. If you like a stronger scent with some staying power, PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum would be my choice.

I'll second that. I'd love to try your recipe.

For longevity, my preference is Ogallala Bay Rum.

As requested!
2 parts Vodka
1 part Rum
1/2 part witch hazel
1/2 part water
(Then steep with the following for three days)
(Allspice berries, aka piminta berries)
(cinnamon sticks)
(just a couple black peppercorns)
(a couple cloves)

Then.. After about three days add orange rind (shave off the skin of a nice sized orange into small parts with a knife)

Go a about two more days (the orange oils get in there quickly and IMO this is the most important part)

Then strain it (I just used a clean cotton t-shirt into a mason jar.

Then.. Important part.. add drops of the following essential oils (Saldalwood and Pure Bay Essential Oil). You can find these on the bay or in the river.

Now for the moisturizing effect.. Squirt some Vitamin E oil and some vegetable glycerin.

And if you like some cooling effect (I do), add some menthol crystals (also found on the bay)..

Trust me on this... You will throw away the store bought stuff. I bought Pinaud Virgin Island Clubman to test it against, and, no offense to Pinaud because I love some of their other stuff, I ended up throwing it away because it just didn't cut it vs the natural DIY recipe. Make it in a big batch because it won't go bad!

And if anyone tries this (It takes about 1 week only), let me know YOUR thoughts.

Dominica Bay Rum is/was the best. They stopped making it a few years ago. The recipe is just Bay and cane alcohol spirits. It was from the Caribbean island of Dominica and they used to use old Banks Beer bottles from Barbados as the containers and a cork stopper.

I agree. The simpler, the better. Searching for "long lasting" or "no clove" is really veering away from what bay rum really is. Anyway, Dominica still lives on, at least in soaps and shaving soaps, and Grand Bay is a good substitute for the old Dominica, the REAL elixir...

Grand Bay Archives | Merrimack Trading

Don

I agree. The simpler, the better. Searching for "long lasting" or "no clove" is really veering away from what bay rum really is. Anyway, Dominica still lives on, at least in soaps and shaving soaps, and Grand Bay is a good substitute for the old Dominica, the REAL elixir...

Grand Bay Archives | Merrimack Trading

Don
Interesting. I used cloves but perhaps I shouldn't have? Next batch I'll go without and see what difference it makes. Is it like a "no ketchup in Chicago" thing for those in the West Indies? Or do the cloves not mesh with the other spices?

^^^
I think that the clove note is actually part of the bay tree "thing". Bay trees are part of the Myrtle family, which includes the Allspice tree, which has a cinnamon/nutmeg/clove air about it. Some members here have also been in the Virgin Islands, and they've smelled the real leaves. They do have a "clove-y" note. Some people don't like clove, which is okay. But to expect that bay oil not have a clove note is a little like wanting a lime aftershave, but not wanting that lime scent:001_huh:.

My personal take on bay rum is that it's a simple extract; almost like witch hazel. The Grand Bay stuff is on, it evaporates, and it's gone. Sterilizing, toned, and moisturized, with no shine.

Don

^^^
I think that the clove note is actually part of the bay tree "thing". Bay trees are part of the Myrtle family, which includes the Allspice tree, which has a cinnamon/nutmeg/clove air about it. Some members here have also been in the Virgin Islands, and they've smelled the real leaves. They do have a "clove-y" note. Some people don't like clove, which is okay. But to expect that bay oil not have a clove note is a little like wanting a lime aftershave, but not wanting that lime scent:001_huh:.

My personal take on bay rum is that it's a simple extract; almost like witch hazel. The Grand Bay stuff is on, it evaporates, and it's gone. Sterilizing, toned, and moisturized, with no shine.

Don

Hey Don, thanks for that response. This forum is a GREAT place to learn, and I've been really enjoying that. Those bottles I made, and posted pics of earlier smell nice for a while but they're not long lasting. If someone can come up with a solution for that, I'd like to hear it. But hey .. I spritz a little bit on whenever I get the chance and that's the solution IMO (for now). :)

Top Bottom