What's new

Your favourite Bay Rum Aftershave

Professional courtesy prevents me from saying what my favorite bay rum is. (Cough, cough...) But I did think you all would enjoy this pic I took of some other bay rum. They were bought about six years ago I imagine. The one on the left is very nearly empty. The one in the middle is "Lime" as seen on the sticker on the neck of the bottle and is nearly full. I don't detect any "Lime" to it at all. The one on the right was purchased last from West Coast Shaving. They got a shipment of retro bottles in and I took one look and had to have one. It remains sealed and unopened. Lest my reputation be diminished, these were purchased in the interest of "research" shall we say! :001_smile

IMG_0051.jpeg

Last edited:
Well 4-5 years ago I probably would have said Kramperts, old formula “Masters” (maybe Dominica) and the balm from Gilbert Henry.
Now I’d add my vote to the PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum crowd.

Professional courtesy prevents me from saying what my favorite bay rum is. (Cough, cough...) But I did think you all would enjoy this pic I took of some other bay rum. They were bought about six years ago I imagine. The one on the left is very nearly empty. The one in the middle is "Lime" as seen on the sticker on the neck of the bottle and is nearly full. I don't detect any "Lime" to it at all. The one on the right was purchased last from West Coast Shaving. They got a shipment of retro bottles in and I took one look and had to have one. It remains sealed and unopened. Lest my reputation be diminished, these were purchased in the interest of "research" shall we say! :001_smile

View attachment 946279
I love the look of those bottles. How does the smell compare to say, VIBR?

I love the look of those bottles. How does the smell compare to say, VIBR?

It has been years since I tried VIBR but the scent from Dominica is more pure I would say, not as sharp a scent profile. Has the vibe of simplicity in a good way whereas to my nose VIBR has a more mass production vibe to it. Smell is a hard thing to describe... Dominica captures best the island life I'd say.

It has been years since I tried VIBR but the scent from Dominica is more pure I would say, not as sharp a scent profile. Has the vibe of simplicity in a good way whereas to my nose VIBR has a more mass production vibe to it. Smell is a hard thing to describe... Dominica captures best the island life I'd say.
That's a great way to describe scent. Island vibe.. Anyone ever experiment using coconut rum in order to achieve this??

Dominica Bay Rum is/was the best. They stopped making it a few years ago. The recipe is just Bay and cane alcohol spirits. It was from the Caribbean island of Dominica and they used to use old Banks Beer bottles from Barbados as the containers and a cork stopper.

I didn't know they stopped making Dominica Bay Rum, that sucks! They're just going to turn me into a hoarder, with my old school tastes. First they stop making Blue Floyd, now Dominica Bay Rum! True classics. I mean, wither goest thou, man?

Now that I'm over the shock, I will say that I alternate between mostly Ogallala Bay Rum Limes & Peppercorns for daily workday shaves, and Dominica Bay Rum for hardcore weekend man-pampering shaves.

I'll sometimes layer on a pretty neutral balm like Nivea afterwards in winter, but I have been 100% bay rum aftershaves for the past six months. After years of trying a lot of aftershaves, going back-and-forth among them and bay rum, I am a confirmed bay rum guy. I've even stopped using colognes and EDTs, just to have the full bay rum experience.

At least I have the consolation of some good bay rum suggestions on this thread that I've never tried or even heard of, thank you!

. . . I have been 100% bay rum aftershaves for the past six months. After years of trying a lot of aftershaves, going back-and-forth among them and bay rum, I am a confirmed bay rum guy.

Something similar seems to be happening to me. I got down to about 5 aftershaves I would use a couple years ago, now I find I’m just wanting to use the Bay Rum 90% of the time. This too shall pass, I imagine, but there’s something really essential about a good Bay Rum . . .

I actually liked the St. Lucia Bay Rum quite a bit more than the Dominca. ( I assume they were related given the label similarities) Sadly, this is also discontinued. FWIW, I love the Clubman VIBR. I just put some on for fun.

proxy.php

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Captain’s Choice Bay Rum is stellar. I feel like I’m out hunting ‘Jaws’ when I wear it, and I can almost hear Robert Shaw singing “Farewell and adieu, my fair Spanish ladies ...”

Captain’s Choice Bay Rum is stellar. I feel like I’m out hunting ‘Jaws’ when I wear it, and I can almost hear Robert Shaw singing “Farewell and adieu, my fair Spanish ladies ...”
Good enough to convince me! I'll try to find and try this one..

Good enough to convince me! I'll try to find and try this one..

Captain’s Choice is excellent! I’m also very fond of their Cat O Nine Tails, which is also bay rum, but with one hell of a kick. If you had a bad shave, CONT will make you pay for it, with interest!

Thanks for your recommendations and advice. It’s very difficult to define a fragrance by combining written emphasises of specific ingredients / descriptions of tones and characters, in all awareness that each individual has different faculties of perceiving « favourite » scents.
I remember ordering some time ago the Portland General Store Whiskey splash - without conscious reasoning, based on intuition - and it was the biggest disappointment. [emoji4] Ahwell.. it’s always a bet after all..
Hoping that I won’t fail again, I decided to start my journey in finding my personal favourite with St. Johns Bay Rum Splash.
I’m not sure yet what to choose for my 2nd order, so pls don’t hesitate to drop your thoughts here.

Cheers everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I haven't used bay rum in years but I added a bottle of Captain’s Choice Bay Rum to an Amazon order today.

I'm looking forward to it. :001_smile

Barberry Coast BR is my favorite but it’s pricey! I signed up for their e-mail discounts. Hopefully there are some good discounts coming!

Top Bottom