What's new

Your Advice: Feather AS-D2 vs Rockwell 6S

Feather AS-D2 vs Rockwell 6S

• Total voters
I have bought a boatload of razors this past year. Some good for my face, some not so good.
ATT, Blackbird, Barbaros, Mamba, Rockwell 6S, and the list goes on.
I went on a Tech kick for a while and can get BBS with various model techs. I kept hearing how the Feather was an "improved" tech. I just had to have one. I could not get a decent shave to save my life,
I have recently converted my brother to DE shaving. Started with a prewar tech and he tried a post war tech and liked it. I gave him the Feather to try. He thinks it is a "gift from the shaving gods." He loves the way it shaves. He even mentions the balance and weight are just perfect. From a newbie no less!
Same gene pool, different results.
This "hobby" is definitely a YMMV proposition.
Good luck with whatever you get.

Never tried the Rockwell but own the AS-D2. In my book it is an absolutely perfect shaver. Bar none. Love it. Mild yes, but truly efficient. Highly recommended.

I have both and think they are both good razors. As said above, the AS D2 with a Feather blade is excellent. With the correct angle, it can be very efficient.

Now you're considering a Timeless as well, good move. My current program of razors includes:

Feather AS-D2
Rockwell 6S
Timeless Bronze
Timeless .68 SB

There are so many combinations of razor and blade to try that I'm still working my way through which ones work better in which razors, for me. Here are my current favourite couplings:

Feather AS-D2 w/ Feather Hi-Stainless
Rockwell 6S w/ Rapira Platinum Lux @ plate #3
Timeless Bronze w/ Perma-Sharp Super
Timeless .68 SB w/ Perma-Sharp Super

Feather AS-D2
I believe the reason this razor polarised people so much is because it requires a little mastering. If you have good basic technique then a little practice can be enough to get it working well. However, it's always going to be a mild razor and can require more passes over a particular area to get a smooth BBS finish which may be the cause of irritation unless great care is taken. For the record I've suffered some horrible irritation and cuts with the AS-D2 as a result of pushing it too far. This is the fully restored vintage sports car that you love to take out on a nice Sunday drive, only to realise that it really is very old school. Think, very classic Porsche 911.

Rockwell 6S plate #3
This was the first real no-brainer shave I'd ever had. It's aggressive enough to require only a couple of passes and needs little mental effort to find the correct angle and pressure. Couple this with a forgiving blade and the pair make for an almost mindlessly simple shave that proves very comfortable. I suspect this is the reason so many like the Rockwell 6S, it appeals to novices for it's lack of requisite skill and to experiences shavers looking for an easy shave while still providing a very nice result. This is the daily drive; space for everyone, flexible, comfortable, performs well, doesn't require massive mental effort... but not particularly sexy. Think, Subaru Liberty GT.

Timeless Bronze
An interesting one and has a couple of points of comparison with the Feather. On the one hand it's definitely a mild razor and can require extra passes to get a BBS finish. A result of pushing it too hard is some irritation, but not nearly as much as the Feather. With a good sharp blade the Bronze can be made to do an extremely quick single pass ATG shave and have you out the door in minutes without the need for alum or balms. It has some slightly odd quirks, but the results can't be argued with and some of them are quite useful. This is the motorkhana-spec hot-hatch which you can still drive to work and still serves as a practical kid taxi. Think, Renault Clio RS Trophy.

Timeless .68 SB
I used to feel this razor was a bit single dimensional and it's fair to say that I've grown into this razor, as initially didn't quite appreciate it the way I do now. Being at the extreme of the scale in terms of aggression for me (my skin is pretty fragile, scarred, mottled, blemished) I'd always chosen the more forgiving blades to pair it with. To which, it's always worked very well indeed, but it's also always required additional mental effort to achieve the excellent results it's capable of. With the Perma-Sharp Super blade, however, it's suddenly clear that the Timeless is far more flexible than it's non-adjustable nature suggests. It's bigger and heavier than most razors and may even seem unwieldy to the uninitiated, but it's supremely efficient and gets through the tougher whisker with aplomb. This is the heavy-hitting fast-car which says "I mean business" without compromising on rear doors or thrills. Think BMW M5.

So which one? If I had my time again and budget was no object I'd stick with the two Timeless razors. On the other hand, for a new starter with an eye for practical performance the Rockwell can't be beat. Finally, if you're the type to drive a classic 911, you can afford the insurance premium and you can afford to buy another car when you get sick of driving it in traffic... sure, go for the Feather. It's ultimately rewarding if you have the time and patience.

I’ve had the 6S and AS-D2 both for over a year and neither have ever given me a bad shave but, in my humble opinion, the Feather needs more technique (and a Feather blade) to be truely efficient. The Rockwell is much easier to use on any plate (except plate 6) with almost any blade.
The Rockwell might be a safer buy if you don’t like mild razors.

The AS-D2 feels really mild while you are shaving with it, but when you rinse between passes you realize that it has very efficiently cut through the whiskers giving you a BBS shave!

The Feather ASD2 is mild, but it is designed specifically for use with sharp Feather blades. I was hesitant to buy one because l have a heavy beard. Many of the self-proclaimed experts insisted that it too mild for my beard type.
I found a technique that works well for me by reading many reviews and experimenting with different angles. Other razors are easier to master, but few can match the engineering excellence of how the razor and Feather blade are synchronized to work together.
I'm happy with mine, but admit it took a while to learn how to use it to get maximum efficiency.

I have both.

Love both.

I'd start with the Rockwell 6S.

Price, performance, adjustability=good value.

Especially starting out...

JMO:)

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Among other other razors, I use Feather’s AS-D2, a RR Mamba, a Timeless Bronze & a Rockwell 6S ... try as I might to favor the others, it is the 6S that really gets it done for me. I think so highly of that Rockwell that it was also a 6S that I gave to my youngest son this Christmas.

Just wanted to tack onto this thread my 6s/R2 shave this a.m.

I have only used a few different brands of blades in my 6s, and in that short audition list Kai quickly emerged as the king. However this morning (my only day off from work until next Friday) I decided to pop in a Feather and use plate R2 since I have good experience with plates R2 through R4.

Must say the pairing of a Feather and R2 is noticeably less efficient than the Kai is on the R2 plate. I see the word "sublime" used to describe shaves and I believe that would apply here. I have to shave again in only 16 hours so I wasn't going in for a multi-pass shave, just one pass and ATG touch ups for the trouble spots.

Some comparisons. I have owned the Feather AS-D2 and would have to say R2 is a nearly a mirror match for its efficiency. R2 also compares favorably with the Timeless .68, perhaps a smidge less efficient. But the biggest difference is smoothness. With my prep, technique and beard type, the Rockwell is far and away the smoothest razor I've ever used in that efficiency range.

Today's shave is an overwhelmingly comfortable SAS. It was a combo that is as "mindlessly cut proof" as I've ever experienced. I would have to work at it and put in some effort to come away with any sort of nicks or irritation. As it is, a remarkably comfortable shave, just not what I would wear out the door for a 10 hour work day.

I will probably go ahead and keep the Feather loaded for the next shave, but definitely go up to R3.

Top Bottom