What's new

Your Advice: Feather AS-D2 vs Rockwell 6S

Feather AS-D2 vs Rockwell 6S

• Total voters
Feather AS D2 vs Rockwell 6S

I am thinking about buying one of these razors or maybe even a Blackbird.
Which should I buy.

If you have both I would be interested to know your experiences.

Johan
PS I do not want to start vintage vs contemporary discussions here but genuine advice is welcome.

I don't believe any razor, vintage or modern, is loved by all who use it. However, the Rockwell seems to be loved by most of those who have one, whereas the AS-D2 gets much less widespread approval. It is a lovely looking bit of gear, but it's just too mild for many shavers, and that includes me. Get the Rockwell.

I don’t have the AS-D2, but do have the 6S. It’s a great Razor with lots of options, but if you don’t need the variability, I’d suggest you consider Timeless. More expensive than 6S, but similar cost to the AS-D2.

It really depends on what you want. The AS/D2 is mild and terrific when paired with a Feather blade IMO. The Rockwell has multiple options. Either would be an excellent choice for what it is.

The AS-D2 is so mild that it's useless to me. I don't have a Rockwell, but I've heard great things about it, and you can make it more or less aggressive as you need. I mirror Glock's advice to by a Timeless.

Also, how important is the beauty of the tool to you? They're very different. I really like the performance of my 6s, but if they offered a polishing service I'd seriously consider it. (I know people polish things themselves, but I'm afraid of goofing it up.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Wow that timeless is also very nice!

But what version to get?
So much choice.

How do they compare to the 6S?

I've had both, still got the Rockwell, sold the asd2. I found the feather really fussy about the angle. With a better technique than mine, I suspect it can work well, but I just couldn't get the angle consistently. With the Rockwell, I can shave almost effortlessly. I say get the Rockwell.

This is sort of like, "Which should I buy, the Prius or the F150?". Not much alike.

You can split the difference and go for an adjustable. The Parker Variant has many fans, as do the Slim and other vintage options.

What do you use now? What do you like/ dislike about it? What is it that you're looking to gain with the new razor?

Of course, the real, correct, answer is: Buy both. Also, buy the Timeless. And, just to play it safe, buy a Schone. :badger:

I have bought a boatload of razors this past year. Some good for my face, some not so good.
ATT, Blackbird, Barbaros, Mamba, Rockwell 6S, and the list goes on.
I went on a Tech kick for a while and can get BBS with various model techs. I kept hearing how the Feather was an "improved" tech. I just had to have one. I could not get a decent shave to save my life,
I have recently converted my brother to DE shaving. Started with a prewar tech and he tried a post war tech and liked it. I gave him the Feather to try. He thinks it is a "gift from the shaving gods." He loves the way it shaves. He even mentions the balance and weight are just perfect. From a newbie no less!
Same gene pool, different results.
This "hobby" is definitely a YMMV proposition.
Good luck with whatever you get.

I use now a Gillette Slim, Merkur Progress(Digress), Gem 1912.

I like to be able to do the fast shave without a mirror under the shower as well as the whole package shave.
My skin is sensitive and I dont have heavy beard growth.

I love the technical aspects of machined metal and the quality of stainless steel.

I am thinking now to choose between the Rockwell 6S and the 0.68 blade gap Timeless.
I love the workmanship on the Timeless and also the adjustability on the 6S

I hope this helps.

Definitely buy the Feather. As it is produced by a far away company, I feel that many don't feel the connection that they feel with some of the artisan manufacturers. However, in my opinion it is a better shaver. I personally feel that the Feather philosophy makes more sense. It is about the balance between aggressiveness of the razor versus sharpness of the razor blade. Feather has clearly chosen for extreme sharpness of the razor blade (in a relatively mild razor). Having said that, you will need feather razor blades to enjoy the razor. But if you do, you will have (in my opinion) the best DE shaver that you can buy (very efficient and very mild on the skin). Finally, the sensitivity with regards to the shaving angle is only true for the AS-D1 model. The current model (AS-D2) is like other shavers.

Top Bottom