What's new

YOUR 1st one hundred blade purchase...

Derbys, probably about 10 years ago. They were the only blades that could be bought in 100's that I knew of at the time.

I was never interested in buying 100 packs until last year. I always just bought 10-25 blades mostly of my favs, GSB, Personna R.I. Astra SP and Voskhod. Then I got some German Wilkinsons in a trade and they became my current favorite. I bought 100 and then bought another 100. They are my primary blade but I still like variety and use several other kinds. Perma-Sharp's have moved up to my top 5 replacing Voskhods.

Well, I just received my first 100 in the mail earlier this afternoon: 100 Astra SP’s, and I couldn’t be happier... I’m pleased to have found a blade that works well for me, and now I can settle down and work on my technique for a while hopefully!

Well, I just received my first 100 in the mail earlier this afternoon: 100 Astra SP’s, and I couldn’t be happier... I’m pleased to have found a blade that works well for me, and now I can settle down and work on my technique for a while hopefully!

Settle down??!!??? With one razor blade??!!??? Are you feeling OK?

My first 100 blade purchase was Derby Extra's. I was sent 200 as dispute settlement on ebay. The blades are garbage.
MM879

Settle down??!!??? With one razor blade??!!??? Are you feeling OK?
Lol, I hear you, but after going through my whole sampler pack once (one blade of each type) I honestly feel like I need some consistency in my shaves. Don't worry, I've still got a bunch of blades to test out at some point in the future, but for the moment I am content to use my Astras and experiment with other aspects of my shave!

Astra SP are a good start, being a solid workhorse of a blade, with generally good qualities and no excessively bad ones, and they're readily available at very good 100 lot prices. They're almost a no-brainer newb first purchase, and were indeed my first purchase after trying a tuck. Just like you, I bought a hundred when first starting-out in DE, and subsequently worked on technique and familiarity with my original kit of DE89, Astra SP, & TOBS Avocado.

There's far worse ways to start-out.

If you already haven't, you might also consider Gillette Yellow SharpEdge, Gillette Silver Blue (GSB), and eventually Feather.

Last edited:
If you already haven't, you might also consider Gillette Yellow SharpEdge, Gillette Silver Blue (GSB), and eventually Feather.
I have tried Feathers and Silver Blues in my sampler, and enjoyed them both. I have tried the 7 o’clock green “Super Stainless”, but not the yellows - the greens were really nice!

Purchased these Nacet blades via Ebay. They came from Jordan oddly enough. Anyone have a similar experience. Backing state P&G just hoping these are legitimate. First time with the Nacet blades.
D84F01E5-DEE9-4720-AB5F-9FEC4E99BD5C.jpeg

First pack of 100 I bought was a carton of Gillette Platinums I got from a brick and mortar store. Since then I bought 3 cartons of 100 Supermax Blue Diamond-the platinum coated version (sharp blades but pretty rough, don't use them too often but I bought so many of them before I got a chance to really test them because I thought they were out of production since they were hard to obtain back then), then a 100 pack of Astra SPs, a 100 pack of Polsilvers, a carton of 120 Supermax Super Stainless, a 100 pack of Voskhods with 50 pcs Rapira Platinum Lux for a very good deal and just a few days ago I ordered 200 SuperMax Blue Diamonds- the titanium coated version, also at an unbeatable price.
Last but not least-60 Feathers, 50 Kai blades (overrated I think but somewhat unusual blades) and about 130 new type Gilette Platinums plus a few others that I just got to try or that are kind of rubbish but got for free.
Let the insanity begin!

I have tried Feathers and Silver Blues in my sampler, and enjoyed them both. I have tried the 7 o’clock green “Super Stainless”, but not the yellows - the greens were really nice!
FYI, Yellows are between the Feathers & GSB, but closer to GSB. I highly recommend them. I find them to be a 9/10ths Feather. Very similar, just dialed back a bit, cheaper, and with better longevity.

First 100 blade purchase were Astra SP. I used them exclusively for about 8 months and they are a great blade. Recently I purchased a tuck of GSB and I love how smooth they are in my R89 and slim. I want to try 7 o’clock yellows next but I think GSBs will be my next 100 purchase, they are really good.

Mine was Derby when I first started shaving again after many years with a beard. I bought 200 Derbys and it's now my least used blade. In fact, they are not even in my rotation!

FYI, Yellows are between the Feathers & GSB, but closer to GSB. I highly recommend them. I find them to be a 9/10ths Feather. Very similar, just dialed back a bit, cheaper, and with better longevity.
Thanks, that’s actually really helpful. I will put them on the wish list for future orders! I really liked the greens (they gave me 9 shaves! Most others gave 3 or 4)...

Top Bottom