What's new

A quick count of blades used in SOTD

I am tired after a long workday, and it's raining. This calls for doing nothing doing a quick pseudoscientific count of blades that people mention in SOTD.

To avoid counting the same blade used by the same person in consecutive days, I would count all blades on the page, then skip 60-100 pages. (There's luckily plenty of them...) I also didn't go back more than about late '22, to keep it somewhat up to date.

So, here's where it stands (out of the total count of 110):

1st Place - a tie between Feather and Gillette Perma-Sharp at (8) each
2nd place - a tie between Gillette Silver Blue and Nacet at (7) each
3rd place - Bic Chrome Platinum (6)
4th place - a tie between Astra SP and Gillette Platinum at (5) each

These seven blades represent about half of total count (46% to be precise).

There were multiple blades mentioned 4 times or less, with 41 different blades total.

This is of course not a proper statistical analysis of all the data available, but a fun enough exercise - for me at least. Not really surprised by the results either, other than Bic Chrome Platinum being so well (and deservingly) represented.

All things being equal, I prefer to buy blades already in SE form rather than snapping a DE in half because of the little bend during the process rather than a perfectly formed, clean break.
Perma-Sharps and Shark Super Stainless come in SE format. I have Sharks and when they run out (which will be awhile), I'll probably buy Perma-Sharps because they are my overall favorite blade. In the meantime, at least in my Leaf Twig and Thorn, the Sharks perform extremely well.

All things being equal, I prefer to buy blades already in SE form rather than snapping a DE in half because of the little bend during the process rather than a perfectly formed, clean break.
Perma-Sharps and Shark Super Stainless come in SE format. I have Sharks and when they run out (which will be awhile), I'll probably buy Perma-Sharps because they are my overall favorite blade. In the meantime, at least in my Leaf Twig and Thorn, the Sharks perform extremely well.
I'm the exact opposite. I'm convinced the little curl locks my half blades into my ER 1912 and keeps them snug.

I'm not surprised at all by that. I've noticed that Bic blades get a lot of love on this thread. I am kind of surprised that Gillette Platinum beat out every variety of 7 o'Clock, though.
He says he didn’t go past late 2022 so not too surprising. The yellows changed dramatically And a lot of people dumped them. The platinum “Swedes” became mainstream and are pretty dang good blades.

Top Bottom