What's new

You pick up your Merkur 34 HD what Blade do you in it?

I am two days into using a Merkur 34C purchased here on BST (thanks DaveNJ74).

Per Dave's answer to my question, "What blade do you like in this razor?", I loaded an Astra SP into the razor and along with Tabac (day 1) and Cella (day 2) have had two wonderful BBS shaves.

What blades do you like to use in the Merkur 34?

What blades do you not like to use in this razor?

Merkur blades only in the HD. Expensive, but I like that combo. My HD is used primarily during the summer months.

I love Astra!!! My favorite. They are as sharp as the feathers but A lot and i mean A LOT more forgiving. I'm not a fan of Derbys, they don't work on my coarse beard.

Astras as sharp as the feathers? where are you getting your blades?

IMHO there is no comparison, Feathers are always the sharpest.

oh! and I love using them with my 34 HD.

I have a 34G and hold its shaving performance in very high regard. I like Feather blades best, so far. Merkurs are good but as costly as Feathers. You might consider a sampler pack of different brands of blades. Try an entire pack of the same blade, unless you hate them, before buying a brand in bulk. I was a bit nervous when 1st trying the Feathers. They are sharp, but not fearsome blades when used with reasonable care.

Presently, I have a 7 O'Clock yellow in mine, but I have found that any new blade will give me 3 BBS shaves with the 34C. I never go past shave #3 because of too much irritation. Just not worth it when blades are so cheap.

Thanks for all your responses. Erudite and well-crafted as I've come to expect from B&B members. :001_smile

I've primarily been using a Gillette Slim and Fat Boy, occasionally going with a Gillette New and Red Tip. I'm impressed at the greater weight of the HD.

I've had a love/hate relationship with Derbys in these razors sometimes finding them to be a bit rough, especially on the first shave and at other times to be good, sharp blades. Red Pack Personnas, Shark SS, Rapira Lux, Astra SS + SP's and Sharp SS's have all been blades that have worked well for me in these razors.

As I expected in such an open-ended question, the replies reflect the uniqueness of everyone's face and technique. - YMMV. In any event, you've all given me ideas as to what blades to give a go with my new razor. I'm interested to check out Derbys in my 34C and can feed my blade AD by picking up some Feathers, Mekurs and 7 o'clocks.

Top Bottom