What's new

You know you're a committed Wetshaver when...

Today I received my new vintage Merkur Slant, and while unscrewing the handle to load a blade for the first time, the nice white-painted knob fell down the sinkhole. Immediately, I alerted my housemate not to run water in that sink, and set out to buy a pipe wrench. I then went so ape with the wrench to remove the stubborn u-bend from the sink that I broke the *#%@ u-bend.

The plumber's on his way tomorrow, but at least I SAVED MY SLANT!

:lol:

Great news that you saved it! (Had to retrieve the top cap of my NEW last week that way- it's called a trap BTW).

Now then, why a plumber? Parts and advice as needed readily available at Home Depot/Lowes, a great sense of satisfaction in a job well done, and more money for RAD :w00t:. At least that's the way I see it :biggrin:.

my first action would have been to get my telescoping magnetic picker-upper thingie and see if the knob was attracted to the magnet, probably not, but a worthwhile attempt even if it didn't work.

but, happy you saved your razor!

this definitely belongs in the B&B-neck thread! :lol:

I then went so ape with the wrench to remove the stubborn u-bend from the sink that I broke the *#%@ u-bend.

The plumber's on his way tomorrow, but at least I SAVED MY SLANT!

:lol:

This isn't an unusual failure. The trap gradually rusts, then the torque of undoing the joint twists it apart.

I'm with the other guy: Take the parts to the hardware or Home Depot and they'll sell you what you need and tell you what to do.

- Chris

I apologize because when you said "sinkhole", I pictured this:
proxy.php

Ah, good advice, all. I guess if I could get it off, there's no reason I couldn't get another on! The only sticky bit is removing the broken part of the trap that's stuck in the outlet pipe, but a pair of pliers is likely my friend...

Cheers!

That nice new vintage NOS Slant knew it should be placed into a collection and never be used, so it jumped down the sinkhole to save you from yourself and teach you a lesson!!! :w00t::lol::w00t::lol:

Top Bottom