What's new

Blade straightening 101

Yes, this will work on thicker grinds no problem. I used to straighten 4 inch diameter shafts using a similar method, but a MUCH bigger torch! BTW, the vise is unnecessary - you only need it to hold the steel. The heating and cooling does all the work. This is basically yielding the steel a tiny bit, which gives it a teensy bend. When the torch heats the steel it wants to expand but is held in place by the colder steel surrounding it, so it yields a smidge where it's weakest and when it's cooled it pulls back a tiny bit farther than it stretched.

I have thought about doing this many times but never have. Might have to give it a shot on a junk blade my next day off. I have a Herder that is too warped to hone on a 1" stone that would greatly benefit from this.

Has anyone tried this on a near wedge or 1/4 hollow? It would work great on full or 3/4 hollows. But does the whole blade get enough heat to straighten the edge also on a heavier grind?

And mods this should be made a sticky for sure.

IMHO, try this on a razor that has 0 value. This process can work best for warped tangs.. if you know what your doing.
Trying to straighten a warped spine is a different story.
Honestly I would spend my time working on something else :001_smile

I have straightened hardened chisels, saw blades, knives, knife edges, razor spines, you name it. It can be done on super thin edges, but be warned, if the edge gets to hot, it can/will curl like bacon, like the edge of a lasagna noodle (not quite that extreme!) a very low flame, seconds at a time, constantly moving the heat, and immediately cooling the steel. Start low in the second count, and increase the heat by a second or two till you achieve the results you want.

Top Bottom