What's new

Dealing with roommates

I live with two unemployed college grads (class of 2008 and 2010, respectively), and a third who’s an internship away from earning his degree. We rent a nice, 4-bedroom house in a quiet neighborhood. I now work full-time (how else could I have survived the ADs!?) and don't spend as much time at home as the rest of them.

I lived with one of the guys in my previous residence – let’s just call him “Bob” - and he’s established himself as quite a lazy fella, but unfortunately also as a self-centered and controlling/manipulative one; no offense to any of you, but the fact that he’s the youngest of his siblings is quite clear.

When we relocated to this place, all of a sudden he showed enthusiasm for keeping the house clean, and wanted all four of us to clean together every other weekend, normally on Saturday or Sunday mornings. While a good idea, our schedules don’t always line up, but I would commit to a task and complete it either before or within hours of returning home after the scheduled date. This continued until around the end of the Fall semester, as final exams approached and studying trumped cleaning.

Time passes, and the laziness reaches new levels. The basic concept of cleaning up after oneself seems increasingly foreign. We eventually meet up and I express my disgust at the amount of filth in the kitchen, so we agree to get back in to scheduled house cleanings. However, my suggestion that we do it on the following Sunday (now this weekend; said meeting was last week) was met with claims of unavailability and the thought that we shouldn’t clean unless we’re all there working together. I had had enough waiting around, and refused to bite the bullet and clean up my roommates’ crumbs and now-molding drips/spills after how many times I’ve had to previously, so I laid out some tasks and encouraged the guys to take care of it before the end of the week. The end result would be a clean house by Sunday, working together if not simultaneously. Here’s the email I sent from work on my break:
We all agreed that the house is overdue for cleaning, but a couple of you said that this Sunday doesn't work. Here's an idea: do it before then! Why wait?
Seriously, in the same amount of time it takes to play one game of FIFA/CoD, you could easily complete one of these tasks (and don't just go set the game to 1-minute halves, you jackasses!):

This week's Iron-Cleaning ingredient: The Kitchen!!
• Sink and Stove - Dampen a sponge and scrub the powdered sink cleaner all around to spread evenly, then let it sit. In the meantime, scrub the stovetop with a sponge and remove all baked-on spills. When you're done, just rinse off the sink and wring out your sponges.
• Countertops and Sink-side Blinds - Remove all crumbs and liquid stains/residue. Use a sponge and some multi-surface cleaning spray. Make 'em look shiny and white again!
• Refrigerator shelves - remove the food from one shelf at a time, and then scrub off any spills/stains/**** that's growing. Replace the food that's still good, and toss the old leftovers and expired stuff. Also scrub the brown crud out of the ice/water dispenser's drip tray.
By the time you read this, I will have detailed the kitchen floor, and swept/swiffered the rest of the common areas.
PLEASE REPLY TO ALL AND NAME YOUR TASK!

And here’s what “Bob” replied (to all):
you should have a drill-sergeant styled house cleaning show.

sink and stove

Okay…I’m following up on something that was “his idea” in spite of the laziness he displayed at our old residence and was slipping into more recently, and he effectively calls me a drill sergeant. I don’t think I’m crazy for detecting a negative undertone in there, so I asked him about it in the morning. As predicted, he claimed that it was a ‘good email’ and was only joking.
FLASHBACK: about a week prior he dropped my glass butter dish and the base shattered. Apparently the roommates saw him do it, and described his broken glass cleanup effort as “quarter-assed”. He flipped over the top part, left the butter in, and never said a word to me about it.​
Next I asked about my butter dish “…soooo what happened with my butter dish?” He said “oh yeah, it broke, but you sound like you knew about that already.” ***?!? Um, YOU obviously knew about it and deliberately avoided owning up to your mistake, Bob! (I didn’t say any of that)
I was running too late for work to unload on him, plus I wanted to control my anger before slapping down his immaturity, so at work I typed up this reply-to-all:

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:04 PM, "bob" wrote:
you should have a drill-sergeant styled house cleaning show.​

In the seven days since our house meeting, basically nothing has happened in the kitchen. The countertops are still covered with crumbs and spills, some of them molding. People are still not cleaning up after themselves/their guests, and leaving dirty dishes/glasses/cutting boards in the sink or on the counter even when ample space remains in the dishwasher.

My efforts to maintain a clean and comfortable living environment at the house routinely get taken for granted, and my needs disregarded: people going through my room, misusing my music gear, disregarding the ban on my music gear, things vanishing/being broken and nobody owning up to it (before: my good basketball; more recently: my glass butter dish), etc etc etc. I still can't believe I had to install a lock on my bedroom door, but so be it.

Last night, immediately after getting home from work, I spent an hour cleaning and delegating tasks that would lead to a clean, sanitary kitchen, and all I got was this ridicule. I'm not asking for special recognition or "OMG! THANKS SO MUCH! YOU'RE THE BEST!!", but you guys need to take me as seriously as I do to you. There's a time for joking, but hopefully this explains why I don't think it's right now.

Actions speak louder than words.

I was going to type more but inadvertently clicked “send”, but regardless I feel that it’s really clear and to the point, without “screaming.” He then sent this to me:

Keep in mind that if any of us sent an email like yours, you would take offense. Please just come to us personally if you have something to say because you come off passive and angry and that hasn't changed. It's one sided and you should have the balls to approach your friends instead of spilling your insecurity over not being appreciated. In addition, we are cleaning on Sunday so just because we didn't clean early like you doesn't make us dicks. I don't know about the other fellas, but I always clean after myself and my friends. I'm doing what you do by ranting right now. Just talk to me and the fellas when you get back. Seriously, enough of your emails because it will always be taken the wrong way. Talk To Us.​

A few points about this reply:

• He throws around the term “passive” every time we mix it up. If he means passive-aggressive, I think he’d be surprised to learn that such a broad term includes things such as procrastination, obstruction, and ambiguity, all of which he exhibits regularly.
  • The reason I avoid face-to-face confrontation with him is because it’s ineffective. “Bob” doesn’t listen to me. He may appear to enthusiastically support my ideas and requests, but then his actions/inactions negate his words (see above re: passive-aggressive). He’s very manipulative and good at getting people to do things they don’t want to do, and he lies to my face. He feels that my emails show a lack of balls, but I feel I’m just picking my battles and not wasting time fighting pointless ones. The other guys are more responsive to these requests, so I talk to them in person. Or for full-house matters, I find it a time-saver to email the three of them, and none of the other two make a fuss. I’m far more eloquent on paper than orally, too, so that’s my take on it.
  • It’s not insecurity, it’s the damn truth! My requests (and bans, in the case of my musical equipment being damaged / misused) are simply brushed aside, them assuming I won’t care or won’t find out. It’s the trend of disregarding my boundaries that irritates me.
  • I wasn’t calling anyone a dick for not doing it early. I’m fed up with brushing someone else’s crumbs into the sink before I cook a meal, working around piled-up dishes in the sink when I need to clean my own dishes afterwards, etc, and want it done by the weekend. I won’t have this “oh, I’m not cleaning because we can’t all do it simultaneously” crap anymore.
  • “I don't know about the other fellas, but I always clean after myself and my friends” – Lie, lie, LIE! But I think he might actually believe that; he may have a higher perception of himself than reality.

I’m not really sure what more I can do here. I don’t see him changing or ever admitting fault. In fact, at the last house, he left his bathroom window open and burglars ransacked his room, took a couple things from my then-roommate’s room, and left me scared ****less as I was asleep in my room the whole time during the break-in (no possessions of mine were taken, but my sense of safety was gone). He has never admitted that he could have left the window open, and dismissed my emotions, saying that he had it worse than me. I was never trying to one-up him, but he insisted that I would only understand if I had $15000 worth of stuff stolen. It’s a different kind of ****ty feeling, indeed, but by refusing my support and blasting my own feelings, I lost a lot of respect for him following that incident.
ANYWAY, like I started to say, I don’t see him ever changing, but I’ve lived with far dirtier people before. And he actually does – e v e n t u a l l y – clean things up. His band bought their own PA system and the lock on my door protects the only other boundary I assert. Nobody says you have to be friends with your roommates, and I can peacefully coexist with him around. These spats won’t go away though, and it’s tiring to have been positioned as the ‘mom’ or the ‘bad cop’, a title which I did not request.

Incidentally, when I got home yesterday the kitchen was allll shiny and clean, and a porcelain butter dish had replaced the broken glass one. I tried to talk to "bob" but he preferred we wait until all 4 of us can talk. As much as I don't want to let his feelings linger, I respect his request for mediation (something which I would prefer too, even though he refused my request the last time he and I had a 'chat'). Interestingly, when I tried to thank another roommate for cleaning the kitchen, he claimed it was all "Bob"'s work. I'm not really sure how I feel about that.

Am I overreacting here? Am I displaying some worse traits or equally bad ones? Admittedly, I will counter his inactions and use passive-aggressive techniques against him, but I find that it’s the only thing that works.

Geez…If you actually read this entire thing, bravo! Hopefully I'm not alone here and someone else can take something from this, if not offer their own personal experiences and insight.

Last edited:
Also to note:

I don't condescend to my roommates. We're all equal. That said, can any of you think of a way to say "I spend 40 hours a week away from the house, and I still spend more time and effort cleaning than you guys" in a more delicate way? Should I even try to water it down? Should I say it at all?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My suggestion;
Stop writing e-mails to guys you see frequently face to face and find another place to live.
This isn't going to end well for at least some.

Is your name on the lease? If not, you should strongly consider finding somewhere else to live. You're not going to be able to change the guys you live with. You could try communicating a bit more directly, but it sounds like that probably won't work.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
So basically, you are paying all the bills and they just sit around and do nothing?

Get out, the longer you wait the harder it will be. I went through that when my cousin lived with me for about 3 years. He kept losing his job and couldn't pay his share and the house was dirty b/c of him. I clean as I go, he wouldn't. The bathroom stayed nasty, b/c he missed a lot.

As much as I liked him I just couldn't take it anymore, and me getting a steady girlfriend(now my wife) that always talked about how dirty the house was was the tipping point. I had to kick him out. And even though I knew I was in the right, I still felt like an *******, but it is a lot better now.

I live with 2 roommates, one of them owns the house. We all get along pretty well, and except for occasional dirty-dishes in the sink, we have very few problems taking care of our own messes. Then again, we're all adults, and we all have jobs, and except for use of the kitchen and bathroom, we each spend most of our time in our own rooms.

Its unlikely You'll ever be able to get all 4 of you together and coordinate a team-clean, whether you do it all together or each take a task and do it separately.

Bite the bullet and hire a maid service. Have a professional come in once or twice a week and take care of things in the public areas. These services cost about $40 a visit, but the result is worth it.

Even with a maid service, you'll still need to do some amount of self-policing and maintenance in between visits. But it will be much easier to keep things up to standards, once the maid-service establishes a base-line.

I agree with the suggestion of hiring a cleaner. All can pay their share of the cleaning service, and the personal confrontation is hopefully lessened.

This assumes, of course, that everyone in this house is paying their way already. If not, you should run away as fast as possible. If you are paying more than anyone else there, find another place to live.

I've been in this situation many, many times. In my opinion, there's nothing you can do about Bob. You can reason, beg, argue, or yell; but nothing you say or do is going to change him. Also, if your remaining roommates don't want to clean there's nothing you can do about it. All the planned cleaning days, and meeting can't help; and multiple efforts will only make you look like the jerk--you don't want a you against them situation.

As for the cleaning you have 3 and only 3 options:

1) Clean it yourself (or with a willing roommate)(or hire a maid--think opportunity cost of cleaning)

2) Abide the mess

3) Move

Trust me these are your only three options.

Last edited:
most solutions i know of need to be set in place before a lease agreement is signed. things like splitting up when a common area is cleaned (always set it up with you take it one week i take the next etc..), this backfires when a room mate is lazy and does not clean anyway. if that is the case find a new room mate :lol:.

the maid idea is a good one. my brother and his room mates have gone that route and it worked out pretty well. just make sure everyone pays an equal amount so no one feels shafted.

If my roommates went through my room when I wasn't home. I'd be out by the end of that week. That's a line that should never be crossed.

I am in grad school and I swear my house has a revolving front door....I have three roomates, and we have been through 3 roomates in 2 years. The best way to solve every problem is face to face. Sit down and chat about it. Emails do not work. If you are unhappy, speak up otherwise that stuff just builds up and gets worse with time.

I like the idea of hiring a maid service.

Either that, or go get an apartment by yourself. It sounds like this issue has been festering. You're not going to be friends much longer if you guys keep this up.

It's really simple. Put an add in the paper and on craigslist or Yahoo etc. looking for a new roomate. I am assuming he isn't looking at ad's for people who are looking for roomate's since he already has roomate's who pay his rent, clean up his slop, and wipe his *** for him.

When your done interviewing people to take his place and have decided on someone then you can break the news to your ex-roomate and move forward.

If this doesn't happen ASAP then start sending the e-mails to yourself because you are the problem. Don't let him burden you because you can't kick him out. That makes no sense.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You are braver than me. I didn't go with more than 2 roommates... (This is more than 8 years ago).

Quick story of what happened, got a place with this guy (Let's call him Bob :biggrin:) I went to school with because we were spending too much time at either apartment. Then, he asked to have his best mate (Let's call him Will) coming in with us, fine, don't really care. Will was lazy, we had a few talks and in the end Bob told me that we need to have a sit down and I need to tell Will to leave as he did all the heavy talking. I should have said no because it was his mate and I didn't really care.

Well, I did it. First thing I know, I was the enemy and he left. All right. Bob got a girlfriend. First thing I know, party after party and I have no idea who's there. They even left their cigar ash in the BBQ.

I cracked it, broke the lease and left.

In your case, as mentioned up here you don't have many options.

1-Suck it up and do it
2-Talk to them and try to have something going (face to face is easier than email)
3-Leave

I'm not very happy on how I left things with him and other people that I met while living there as they went to his side. But that was part of the deal, I had enough.

If I would have to re-do it, I would've moved out when the lease expired and everyone would be happy.

Anyways. My opinion is that you won't get anywhere with them. That's how they are and how they are used to. Stop and think, can you change it? Realistically? I don't want you to take my word for it and storm off, break the friendship (if it means something to you) but you need to consider yourself first in all of this because that's what they are doing.

Personally, I will never get another roommate ever. I rather live alone in a small and tiny apartment.

Good luck!

Interesting... I lived with 10 guys in college, which was a real treat. The guys fell into two camps:

A) Those that loved throwing appliances/furniture/tvs/bottles off our 3rd story roof and onto the driveway; and
B) The others that really hated such behavior.

No matter how dispicable the behavior of throwing a consol tv set circa 1970's off a 10-bedroom house may be, a guy doesn't want to hear that he is wrong/immature/etc for doing it.

Long story short... nagging people and bitching at your roommates (even if you are in the right) will only add feul to the fire and further the divide. Most twenty-something dudes have a Mom... they don't need another.

I'd either let it go or just move out... I don't have roommates because I'm a huge neat freak and it wouldn't work.

BTW - if you have never seen a giant tube tv explode on asphault from a 30 foot drop... you do not know what youre missing :lol:

Though you are mostly in the right about everything, your e-mails do come off as passive aggressive and condescending, and you'd be appreciated more if you spoke to them face-to-face. But it looks like you just need to get out of that living situation, because nobody's going to change unless they want to. And Bob doesn't sound like he's up for making any changes.

I'm sorry but this sounds like the most rediculous stuff. I could stand a little bit of nagging from a girl living with me, but having parent-chid arguments with another male roommate???

I don't know what you're doing rooming with unemployed guys.

Move out, that's really the simple answer. I can't imagine how that isn't the crystal clear solution.

I have never, ever understood the attraction of it, getting 4 guys together to chip in so you can have a house instead of apartments. I 1 million times prefer living in my own little one bedroom apartment to having to deal with other personalities and the conflict that results.

Really this sounds like kindergarten kids not getting along.

Tha Baron, roof-tesing various items is a tried and true pastime for many men. I passd many a day not exactly sober roof-testing with my fraternity brothers. Some of the most important test were performed with pieces of furniture that had been set on fire. Often with a cheering and appreciative audience. That, coincidentally, got us on double secret probation when the univserity president failed to appreciate out fire sculpture in the volleyball pit out front.

The only thing tha survived repeated experiments was a concrete pelican someone had found. We gave it a place of honor in the entry and pledges had to rub its beak on the way in and out of the house.

Those days are over, but I have fond memories. I do have some apartments now, and still ge to take crowbar and sledgehammer to old drywall durin renovation. I also enjoy using a slick chisel to remove old tile flooring. And, yes, I do constructive things in the apartments now. Suppose karma has come full circle for me.

Anyhow, it sounds like the OP needs to find a tidy little studio somewhere and say goodbye to the roommates. Place a Craigslist ad to find someone to replace you. Maybe offer a hundred or two towards the first month in exchange for taking over for you.

You have a few options:
a)
Convince your roomates that you've flipped and act completely crazy. Manipulate, scare and dominate them. Annoy them untill they do everything you ask of them, or untill they leave. Replace them with roomates of your choosing.
b)
Leave yourself.

There's no nice way to change the behavior of roommates. Bob has understood how to do it, now it's up to you to outdo him, or leave him to rule his domain alone.

Top Bottom