What's new

Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant - First Shave

M

mtcn77

I have a Yaqi DOC. Discovered that the way to avoid irritation is not to press hard. No worries, the aggressiveness will allow the blade to cut no problem.
I also feel less irritation when I don't lift the handle and ride it very close to the skin at trouble spots. The razor shaves like a rake, but it works beautifully.

True, a lot of blade vibration with this Yaqi. It doesn't feel great, but cuts like crazy. I don't dare use it a second pass. I use a more mile razor for that. Good shaves with the combo. The Yaqi has a narrow head height which is good for under the nose.

M

mtcn77

True, a lot of blade vibration with this Yaqi. It doesn't feel great, but cuts like crazy. I don't dare use it a second pass. I use a more mile razor for that. Good shaves with the combo. The Yaqi has a narrow head height which is good for under the nose.
You can pair it with a mild blade if you wish. Personally, I use it with Shark.
It is really mild on the skin although it is not so close around the chin since it doesn't have negative blade exposure to move around more freely.
In all honesty, it shaves very efficiently, but I still have to do 6 passes for BBS. What is in its favour though, it never irritated my neckline. It is better than my Merkur 37C below the neck no question.

I'm interested in this razor. My problem Is I'm not going to buy from a site I can't read. Does anyone have a link to an English/American spelling site? I know some will say to translate but I don't know how to do that on my computer.
So can anyone help?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I'm interested in this razor. My problem Is I'm not going to buy from a site I can't read. Does anyone have a link to an English/American spelling site? I know some will say to translate but I don't know how to do that on my computer.
So can anyone help?
Ali baba has it

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

M

mtcn77

So can anyone help?
It is very good, but I haven't been kind to its finish and it has worn down its color.
Razor head material: Zinc Alloy
Handle material: Zinc Alloy
Handle length: 103mm
Total razor length:95mm
Handle diameter: 12MM
Color: vintage color
Total weight: about 85g
Package contents: 1 Razor/Without Blades.
Gift box: without gift box..

M

mtcn77

Ok. Thanks.
I guess Im just not good with computers. I found Ali Baba but no Yaqi Slant
It is called Agamemnon. BTW, I ran a search for you, it is sold in AliExpress not Ali Baba.
In all honesty, I suggest the chrome plated version for acid resistance. I etched the gunmetal because of mistreatment.

IMG_20210609_165840620.jpg
Got it in the mail today. Yaqi slant. Put it on a heavy S.S. handle. This thing is noisy! Sounded like it was ripping my face off without leaving blood? Used some Alum afterwards for the final test. Next to no burn. Loved it. Extremely close shave in four passes. Might have been able to cut back to three but i just went for my standard shave. I dont think it will be a daily driver but i will try it for the next few days to be sure.

Thanks for the help in finding a Wicked looking Slant for my first Slanted DE.
IMG_20210609_165840620.jpg

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
View attachment 1279368Got it in the mail today. Yaqi slant. Put it on a heavy S.S. handle. This thing is noisy! Sounded like it was ripping my face off without leaving blood? Used some Alum afterwards for the final test. Next to no burn. Loved it. Extremely close shave in four passes. Might have been able to cut back to three but i just went for my standard shave. I dont think it will be a daily driver but i will try it for the next few days to be sure.

Thanks for the help in finding a Wicked looking Slant for my first Slanted DE.View attachment 1279368
very glad you enjoyed it!

My Yaqi Slant got it’s first outing yesterday with a Tiger Platinum blade.
Wow what a razor!
Unlike many, I’ve always enjoyed a bit of blade chatter and was a big fan of the 2011 R41. The Yaqi Slant has a lot of bade chatter but is also very smooth.
Seems slightly more aggressive and noticeably smoother than my DSCosmetic Z0 (which is another phenomenal razor!)
Because of the way the blade presents in the Slant I need to be a bit more meticulous when head-shaving but the result is spectacular, and just like the good ol’ R41 there’s zero irritation.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Wow what a razor!
Unlike many, I’ve always enjoyed a bit of blade chatter and was a big fan of the 2011 R41. The Yaqi Slant has a lot of bade chatter but is also very smooth.
Seems slightly more aggressive and noticeably smoother than my DSCosmetic Z0 (which is another phenomenal razor!)
Because of the way the blade presents in the Slant I need to be a bit more meticulous when head-shaving but the result is spectacular, and just like the good ol’ R41 there’s zero irritation.
I am so happy that you had a great shave! I have no doubt that as you dial it in, they will only get better.

Wow what a razor!
Nice! Mine is in the mail, can't wait to try it out.

I used my Yaqi slant again today for the first time in a while. Since my original post I have acquired a few other efficient/aggressive razors: Muhle R41, Blackland Dart and Karve Christopher Bradley (with G safety bar base plate). I had been traveling with the Karve for the past few weeks, but now that I'm back home I picked up the Yaqi for this morning's shave. Yes, it is noisy. Yes, it is noticeably "rougher" than all but the R41, but it still provides an extremely close shave with no cuts, nicks or irritation. For my usual two pass plus touch-up shave, no DE razor I own provides a closer shave than the Yaqi slant.

I have the gunmetal finish, and like an earlier poster I have noticed some degradation in the finish. I would probably recommend the chrome version if you're looking to buy one of these.

What are your thoughts about this razor?
I have mixed feelings about the Yaqi slant. It is VERY efficient, and being an OC slant it makes quick work of even 10 day old stubble. What I don't like is the chatter - way too loud, sounds very aggressive and a bit cheap. I wonder if I should just add a shim to reduce the chatter. It's been mentioned before that it looks like it could take the skin right off your face. To be honest, I have not had any nicks so far but I'm very careful using it. I got some bad irritation on my neck the first time using it, but I wasn't paying attention and got a little sloppy.

I am not a daily shaver, maybe 1-2 times a week, sometimes once in 2 weeks (work from home these days.) The Yaqi slant is perfect for the first pass to get all the long stubble off. It is excellent / efficient at doing that - best razor I own, hands down, for mowing down long stubble. For the 2nd pass, I then switch to the SNMIRN adjustable razor I picked up on Amaz0n, set on 7 or 8. The SNMIRN is SO SMOOTH, it is perfect for the finishing pass (but not for removing long stubble.) Best 9 bucks I spent on a razor ever!

I also acquired a Yaqi TFC, but haven't used it all that much. The combo of Yaqi Slant + SNMIRN adjustable is my go-to setup for now...

I'd say the Yaqi Slant has its place in my rotation. For 5 bucks (after coupon + free shipping) you just can't go wrong!

Top Bottom