What's new

Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant - First Shave

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I think I'm done with the side by side comparison shaves. The Yaqi has outperformed all of my DE's (and since the ones I have kept outperformed the ones I've sold, by that measure it stands atop a significant list of DE razors). I would say it's pretty much a tie between the Yaqi and the two single edge razors I own, a Classic Shave Enoch and a Gem MMOC.
High praise. I am exactly the same. I keep only the razors that work very well for me. The YOCS has dethroned them all.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Now that I have had the Yaqi DOC Slant for a month, I thought I'd do a quick update. As @CzechCzar suggested, using it more frequently has just moved it up in my estimation. Nothing I have used to date, double edge or single edge, has consistently shaved as close. And while it does look fearsome and have a lot of blade feel, it has not shown itself to be any more dangerous than any other razor. I have developed enough confidence with it to be able to relax and enjoy the shave.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Now that I have had the Yaqi DOC Slant for a month, I thought I'd do a quick update. As @CzechCzar suggested, using it more frequently has just moved it up in my estimation. Nothing I have used to date, double edge or single edge, has consistently shaved as close. And while it does look fearsome and have a lot of blade feel, it has not shown itself to be any more dangerous than any other razor. I have developed enough confidence with it to be able to relax and enjoy the shave.
I am so happy that you stuck with it! This razor has truly cured my RAD. i haven't felt the slightest urge to get something new since trying it.

I am so happy that you stuck with it! This razor has truly cured my RAD. i haven't felt the slightest urge to get something new since trying it.

I wish I could say the same about my RAD. I am awaiting the arrival of a Blackland Dart and a Fatip Open Comb Slant.

I waited until the end of OBIF to try the Yaqi Slant head I ordered after reading this forum in January. I rarely get cuts, nicks, scrapes or even weepers. But I have had a nick and a weeper already with this head. The margin of error is very slim.

The first blade I tried was an IP red, which hasn't been my favorite blade in any razor, but I have a bunch of them and somehow thought that it would be a good match for this razor. It was absolutely not. Ouch. No cuts, but it wasn't comfortable in any way. I think the remainder of my IP reds are going out on a PIF.

The second blade is an Astra SP, and it has been much better. It is just somewhat disconcerting to think I am getting a super efficient, super smooth shave and then see a bit of red appear. I guess my technique needs some improvement.

I like the auditory response.

I am probably going back to the Rockwell 6S with 6 plate as my go-to. It has enough auditory feedback to work well for me, and I don't feel like I've carved my face like a pumpkin.

I waited until the end of OBIF to try the Yaqi Slant head I ordered after reading this forum in January. I rarely get cuts, nicks, scrapes or even weepers. But I have had a nick and a weeper already with this head. The margin of error is very slim.

The first blade I tried was an IP red, which hasn't been my favorite blade in any razor, but I have a bunch of them and somehow thought that it would be a good match for this razor. It was absolutely not. Ouch. No cuts, but it wasn't comfortable in any way. I think the remainder of my IP reds are going out on a PIF.

The second blade is an Astra SP, and it has been much better. It is just somewhat disconcerting to think I am getting a super efficient, super smooth shave and then see a bit of red appear. I guess my technique needs some improvement.

I am probably going back to the Rockwell 6S with 6 plate as my go-to. It has enough auditory feedback to work well for me, and I don't feel like I've carved my face like a pumpkin.

Don't give up. After you mastered it, it a very smooth and efficient razor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't had success with the Yaqi Slant. I have used it with both the IP Red blades and Gillette Platinum blades without any incidents. I used it again this morning after a month or so during which I was traveling and brought my EJ 3one6 along, and then returned and wanted to get better acquainted with my new Fatip FOCS and Blackland Dart. In terms of efficiency and comfort I would put the Yaqi Slant in the same category as the Dart with the FOCS just a bit less efficient.

Maybe it's a matter of technique, although I can't provide any advice on that front. In fact, I am of the opinion that either a razor works for you or it doesn't. Any time I've tried to adjust my technique to accommodate a razor, it has resulted in a horrible shave, often with blood involved. At least the Yaqi was inexpensive enough that you can put it away for now and revisit it later without worrying about the expense.

I am back at it again on day 5, but this time I scrapped the idea that I could ride the cap as I do with other razors. There practically is no cap on this head. By using a steeper blade angle, and making sure to barely allow the blade edge to touch anything, I was able to get a blood-free shave. In most areas, it is extremely close - BBS close. Around the chin and adams apple, I didn't want to press my luck, so those are a little sloppy. My face needs a few more days to heal up anyway.

There is an extremely satisfying "scritch" sound that gets quieter as progress is made through passes. That's definitely a plus.

Shaving with this reminds me of attempts with a shavette a few years back. It may work, and it may work better, but it is WORK, not as pleasurable as I would like it to be. One tiny twitch of my 61-year-old muscles, and I am doing recovery and cleanup. But it has only been 5 days, and today was certainly encouraging.

Got one delivered today - and gave it a run out on 5 days of gruff.
I was a bit apprehensive given the amount of blade on show; it really does look a weapon!

It is a very efficient razor - noticeably more so than the R41 I`d say; or maybe that was because I was using a Permasharp-Super blade instead of an Astra-SP??
Plenty of blade feel as expected but no nicks or cuts ... there was a bit blood raised on my chin, but I think this was due to the closeness of the shave and possibly a small spot being skimmed.

Very impressed by this odd looking razor

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
For those of you having trouble, do you use splashes or balms?

For those of you having trouble, do you use splashes or balms?

I use a retinol cream and an aftershave. Until I started doing this combination, I had difficulty shaving ATG. I've been doing it for about 2 years and seldom get cuts or any discomfort.

I think my issues are more likely related to technique, and things are definitely improving with practice on the Yaqi. It is different in that I use a steeper angle than I do with any other razor I own. With the Rockwell 6S, plate 6, I can do two-pass with cleanup and not get any stubble until late evening. Most other razors don't give me that close of a shave, with the exception of a Karve with D plate (0.98) which can occasionally give me some burn on the neck.

I have same technique/angle with all my vastly different razors - only difference being pressure .. and speed!
Standard boar brush and Arko soap to lather .. Nivea sensitive to follow.

Incredibly close shave. As said - only used it the once, and initial thoughts are its more aggressive than the R41 .. which I find not nearly as aggressive as most describe it.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I was a bit apprehensive given the amount of blade on show; it really does look a weapon!

It is a very efficient razor - noticeably more so than the R41 I`d say; or maybe that was because I was using a Permasharp-Super blade instead of an Astra-SP??
Plenty of blade feel as expected but no nicks or cuts ... there was a bit blood raised on my chin, but I think this was due to the closeness of the shave and possibly a small spot being skimmed.

It doesn't matter what blade you put in it, it is a beast, it was scary at first but the shaves are excellent

The Red Tip and the infamous R41 turned out to be gentle giants; both being razors I enjoy using the most because of the blade feel, efficiency, and the actual contradictory smoothness they give.

The Yaqi slant turns the level of efficiency/aggressivness and blade feel up a couple notches; I am hoping it gives the smoothness of the R41 & Red Tip the more I gain confidence and use it.

I do have in my rotation efficient (IMHO) razors which I use.

iKon Tech, R41, FOCS, BB...and Yaqi slant.

iKon Tech is the most efficient followed by R41. Both are very aggressive.

Blackbird is almost same efficient but VERY smooth. The best razor for me.
FOCS is an efficient razor, but very smooth also.

Yaqi slant (I also have six other slants) is a very aggressive razor. In fact, for me is the most aggressive razor I have. On the other hand, is NOT efficient at all. It is the least efficient among my (about) 20 razors.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but Yaqi slant is on the top of my worst (aggressive but not efficient) razors, together with Yaqi beast razor. Yaqi knight also is aggressive. The only one is not, is Yaqi mellon.

Not something against Yaqi as a whole, because Yaqi brushes are very good (IMHO).

I do have in my rotation efficient (IMHO) razors which I use.

iKon Tech, R41, FOCS, BB...and Yaqi slant.

iKon Tech is the most efficient followed by R41. Both are very aggressive.

Blackbird is almost same efficient but VERY smooth. The best razor for me.
FOCS is an efficient razor, but very smooth also.

Yaqi slant (I also have six other slants) is a very aggressive razor. In fact, for me is the most aggressive razor I have. On the other hand, is NOT efficient at all. It is the least efficient among my (about) 20 razors.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but Yaqi slant is on the top of my worst (aggressive but not efficient) razors, together with Yaqi beast razor. Yaqi knight also is aggressive. The only one is not, is Yaqi mellon.

Not something against Yaqi as a whole, because Yaqi brushes are very good (IMHO).
The only razor of the ones you mentioned that I have, in addition to the Yaqi slant is the FOCS. I find the Yaqi to be more efficient than the FOCS. Efficiency for me is simply a measure of how close a shave I get using my normal 2 pass plus touch-up shave. Aggressiveness is a measure of how much "damage" the razor does during that same 2 pass shave. If I don't get cuts, nicks or weepers, then it's not very aggressive. Blade feel, on the other hand, is a subjective sense of how much scraping I feel. Smoothness to me is just the opposite of blade feel. With all that said, I find the Yaqi slant to be as efficient as any razor I've used, pretty much equal to the Blackland Dart, not aggressive at all, but with a great deal of blade feel. I enjoy using it, but I have to admit that I grab the Dart more often, since it is a smoother shave. The FOCS is very smooth, but I prefer the efficiency of the Dart and the Yaqi slant.

I don't think it's a matter of "doing something wrong"; we all shave differently and have different beards, skin sensitivities, etc. If the Yaqi doesn't work well for you, I think it's best to just move on to another razor. I have tried several razors that others find to be wonderful but that just didn't work for me.

.. and also what you enjoy a shave to be.

Some razors such as the fantastic HD Rocket give nice close shaves without the slightest blade feel; you can put as much pressure on the blade and shave as fast as you like and not cut yourself. For me the downside is its a pretty non-engaging shave.

Whereas the aggressive razors with lots of blade feel require your attention, thus feeling more engaging to use ... its what I enjoy.

As a black guy with coarse hair, I found this razor to be extremely smooth and efficient. It's now my main razor. No weepers at all.

Top Bottom