What's new

Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant - First Shave

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
As a black guy with coarse hair, I found this razor to be extremely smooth and efficient. It's now my main razor. No weepers at all.
That is so great! The main reason I like it so much is that my hair is very coarse and grows in all different directions. Glad I got someone else to try it!

2nd full shave today with it; just used it as I'd use the Red Tip.
The added blade feel - and blade sound - ensure it's nowhere as smooth as the Red Tip; and a million times less smooth than a Rocket HD.
No cuts or nicks .. just a raised a spot of blood on neck (guess these referred to as weepers?).

I am undecided if I like it as much as the Red Tip and R41 .. those two give very close shaves, but much smother.

Also the Yaqi slant is fiddly for under the nose.

I have one from Nov 2019; used it a few times. Never had an accident but never liked the feeling, it's hiding in a drawer... . Interestingly somewhere or someone told me there have been changes to it.....so last night I ordered another. Maybe it's more "usable".

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have one from Nov 2019; used it a few times. Never had an accident but never liked the feeling, it's hiding in a drawer... . Interestingly somewhere or someone told me there have been changes to it.....so last night I ordered another. Maybe it's more "usable".
this is always the appropriate answer

I had my 1st run with the yaqi slant yesterday on 24hr growth. Used a 3rd-use GSB (smoothest blade for me). The blade feel was about as much as I ever experienced (next most aggressive I have is the Nodachi) but the GSB tamed it for me. Had a pleasant shave overall.

The loud crackling sound of bristles getting demolished is very satisfying with this razor!

Efficient? I find it more efficient than my Nodachi with a GSB.

Smooth? Not bad and still enjoyable. Need short swift strokes while maintaining almost no pressure as I have tough whiskers.

My only complaint is atg on my mustache as the slant has less blade contact over narrow area vs. Flat blade so I kinda had to make more pass than I'm comfortable with this head. I stopped trying to get a bbs there. Overall only a small weeper and some alum feedback but not bad. For 8 bucks I'm more than happy for this when I'm feeling adventurous 🙂

M

mtcn77

My only complaint is atg on my mustache as the slant has less blade contact over narrow area vs. Flat blade so I kinda had to make more pass than I'm comfortable with this head
Hi, I stopped using sharp blades with the Yaqi Slant and instead found a happy medium with Shark. You'll be able to tone down the shaving pressure when using a mild blade with good blade feel. I wouldn't pair it with blades that are sharper than WSC.
Don't go with the regular 30° shaving angle, this razor has a lot of blade exposure - it can start shaving by only 10-20°. It will become much smoother when you recline the blade away from the skin and it stops scraping and tugging. The handle will almost touch your face when going ATG under the nose, but that solved my problems.
Also, try shaving diagonally if you cannot go ATG, sometimes you cannot find the correct angle until it begins shaving.

Hi, I stopped using sharp blades with the Yaqi Slant and instead found a happy medium with Shark. You'll be able to tone down the shaving pressure when using a mild blade with good blade feel. I wouldn't pair it with blades that are sharper than WSC.
Don't go with the regular 30° shaving angle, this razor has a lot of blade exposure - it can start shaving by only 10-20°. It will become much smoother when you recline the blade away from the skin and it stops scraping and tugging. The handle will almost touch your face when going ATG under the nose, but that solved my problems.
Also, try shaving diagonally if you cannot go ATG, sometimes you cannot find the correct angle until it begins shaving.
Thanks @mtcn77! Will try that angle for my mustache. About the blade. My facial hair is quite tough and I found the GSB is the bare minimum of sharpness needed to have a comfortable shave. Any duller than that and it's tuggy or had to go for multiple passes. Even the GSB can be tuggy in some razors I have when going atg. So far the best blades for me are the feathers and perma sharp, even in mid-high aggression razors like the nodachi and alpha outlaw.

M

mtcn77

Thanks @mtcn77! Will try that angle for my mustache. About the blade. My facial hair is quite tough and I found the GSB is the bare minimum of sharpness needed to have a comfortable shave. Any duller than that and it's tuggy or had to go for multiple passes. Even the GSB can be tuggy in some razors I have when going atg. So far the best blades for me are the feathers and perma sharp, even in mid-high aggression razors like the nodachi and alpha outlaw.
Hi, again.
I instantly caught the tell-tale sign of 'permasharp' when you brought up ATG as an issue since I had the same issue! It seems smooth, but that is because of the frictionless teflon coating. It will still abrade the skin if blade feel isn't enough to keep you from trying to feel the blade. I cannot bring up anything other than asking you to try a milder blade. It will give more feedback and make ATG shaving easier. I still cannot use permasharp. I cannot get those blades to shave close to the skin - it always feels like the first stroke makes my skin slippery and thereafter it doesn't cut cleanly.

Also, positive exposure safety razors have 2 inclinations - one below and one above 30° with respect to how the blade comes out of the blade gap. Riding the blade as the safety bar is contacting your face is what I find best. Truth be told, it is an aggressive razor with steepness possibly comparable to R41. The shave gets progressively cleaner as you treat it as an aggressive shaver, 30° just tugs the blade into the skin, imo.

If you need assurance, preshave is the most critical step. If you miss it, or use a sharp blade, razor rash will result. I still take 3 day breaks, apply "vinegar+glycerine soap" preshave for softening and use a mild blade to be consistent. I also rinse with glycerine soap afterwards to calm my skin. Also, you cannot hurry, I do 4 passes.

I had one that was probably V1....was just unpleasant. Now I got the V3 and tried w a Swedish Sword 3.
Interestingly I used maybe a different angle....but this was tamed, and very efficient. One pass took a LOT. The other side of the face I had used an Occam....but when I realized how much more stubble I had there, I decided to only use the Yaqi. Very close shave, some irritation but not bad. No blood and I did not have to be super careful as with the V1..... this is a good razor and yes: it BEATS the Fatip FOCS by a mile and a half..... I still like the standard Fatips and Schone, and the slant is OK but NOT efficient enough for me.

I too shave with it this morning, added a bottom shim. It was ok wtg & xtg but atg on the neck, chin, and lips was a nono.
No blood though...pheeww, I am glad! Shave results just acceptable.
Razor Yaqi Slant
Blade American Shave Platinum 4th
20210413_203104.jpg

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I had one that was probably V1....was just unpleasant. Now I got the V3 and tried w a Swedish Sword 3.
Interestingly I used maybe a different angle....but this was tamed, and very efficient. One pass took a LOT. The other side of the face I had used an Occam....but when I realized how much more stubble I had there, I decided to only use the Yaqi. Very close shave, some irritation but not bad. No blood and I did not have to be super careful as with the V1..... this is a good razor and yes: it BEATS the Fatip FOCS by a mile and a half..... I still like the standard Fatips and Schone, and the slant is OK but NOT efficient enough for me.
So glad to know that it wasn't just me! I think my hypothesis that differences in versions are leading to different outcomes with this razor is now verified!

Read the thread last night and couldn't resist. Went to the Aliexpress site, a $4 off coupon popped up, and I got the head for $1.95 with free shipping. They might still be running the deal...

M

mtcn77

Mr. John Shaves 101 has, again, tackled "the Yaqi Slant Top Aggressive" safety razor.
I salute his bravery using an aggressive blade pairing to go alongside it. Very brave indeed.

I have a Yaqi DOC. Discovered that the way to avoid irritation is not to press hard. No worries, the aggressiveness will allow the blade to cut no problem.

I used my Yaqi DOC this morning for the first time in a week or two. I really should use it more often; it was at least as good a shave as with any of my other razors. I've paired the Yaqi head with a stainless steel handle from Signature Shaving. The handle is a bit long and heavy, but for me it's a great match with the Yaqi DOC. Here's a picture:

1619367271375.png

Top Bottom