What's new

Yaqi Sentinel

Yesterday I did a Sentinel 1.5 comparison: OC vs SB. It is hard to decide which one is better. Both are amazing shavers. Very efficient and comfortable shaves. I could stop at one pass with these. I do a very careful ATG pass for a smooth BBS. Maybe because they force me to be cautious, but I don't really get nicks or irritation with these ones. The SB gives way more auditory feedback, and it is easy to control the shave. The 1.5 OC is surprisingly not aggressive. Lots of blade feel, but unless you are going reckless, it is not an uncomfortable blade feel, it kinda guides you towards the best angle, and it is very intuitive while being forgiving of the angle. I will share a picture with the angle I use. I figure that is easier than saying how shallow, neutral or steep I go with them. The photos also show how efficient first pass they are capable of. I think I found razors that will stay with me for the long run. At least one of them for sure, if not all.
20240410_175953.jpg

20240412_001223.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Chelko I am glad that this worked out, was not sure if you can stand the 1.5 OC gap.
Regarding OC vs SB, besides the obvious teeth vs bar difference, do I see this right and the SB head cap is a bit different from the OC? The OC cap seems to be a bit thinner, the SB having some more material left under the cap. But could just be the angle and an optical illusion. I saw and felt quite a difference for my SB and OC.

@Chelko I am glad that this worked out, was not sure if you can stand the 1.5 OC gap.
Regarding OC vs SB, besides the obvious teeth vs bar difference, do I see this right and the SB head cap is a bit different from the OC? The OC cap seems to be a bit thinner, the SB having some more material left under the cap. But could just be the angle and an optical illusion. I saw and felt quite a difference for my SB and OC.
I've seen some pictures showing a notorious difference. I didn't notice that on mine. I'll take a picture to show the plates and caps

Well Yaki & DSCosmetics do good or great job of making copies of popular Razor Heads n Handles.

They are competitive price making them attractive to purchase.

Would be interesting for some one more knowledgeable in Razor Heads to make a chart of Oruginal Design like Wolfman WR -2, with all the clones listed that are similar or good clones.

So far as I can tell the one item that interests me is Clone of Ti-Timeless Crown Handle.

Yesterday I did a Sentinel 1.5 comparison: OC vs SB. It is hard to decide which one is better. Both are amazing shavers. Very efficient and comfortable shaves. I could stop at one pass with these. I do a very careful ATG pass for a smooth BBS. Maybe because they force me to be cautious, but I don't really get nicks or irritation with these ones. The SB gives way more auditory feedback, and it is easy to control the shave. The 1.5 OC is surprisingly not aggressive. Lots of blade feel, but unless you are going reckless, it is not an uncomfortable blade feel, it kinda guides you towards the best angle, and it is very intuitive while being forgiving of the angle. I will share a picture with the angle I use. I figure that is easier than saying how shallow, neutral or steep I go with them. The photos also show how efficient first pass they are capable of. I think I found razors that will stay with me for the long run. At least one of them for sure, if not all.
View attachment 1827983
View attachment 1827984
Very cool comparison Chelko.

Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 OC / Dorco Prime
View attachment 1841770
Had to do a correction pass on the neck ATG, otherwise splendid.

As we were talking about the DSCosmetic AX/Poleaxe, that's Yaqi's take on the WR2.

@m949 @Halfbeard @Chelko @Shaun asleep @megamac
That whole setup is absolutely beautiful. I had the Dscosmetic version and had to return it to Aliexpress because the blade got stuck in the head. I might try the Yaqi SB version since nobody has complained about stuck blades.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
That whole setup is absolutely beautiful. I had the Dscosmetic version and had to return it to Aliexpress because the blade got stuck in the head. I might try the Yaqi SB version since nobody has complained about stuck blades.
Word of warning, as I got both the 1.5 SB and the 1.5 OC Sentinel.

The SB is much milder, even too mild and not that efficient for my liking.

For the 1.5 OC they changed the cap and it is MUCH more efficient and aggressive. The OC comes on top of that.

I do not know if they made a new batch with a changed 1.5 SB head. Some people also reportedly preferred the 1.5 SB as it is a lot milder.

According to a trustworthy Wolfman owner, the DSC clones are closest to the original.

DSC only offer the 1.55 in Ti right now, the Ti supposedly has no tight blade issues, but I am waiting for the second batch to release.

@megamac might know more, AFAIK DSC told him a second batch is coming, just not when.

The DS AX is truly the closest to the Wolf Shaving experience no doubt and the Ti version has no issue whatsoever of the blade getting stuck. I love the Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 OC but it is a different experience shaving with that as compared to the AX.

The AX in Stainless Steel is in the pipeline with the corrections made to the top cap and will be released later but the DScosmetic Rep hasn't confirmed any date. It all depends on when the company decides to release them. The good thing is that they do take customer feedback very seriously and work on it.

@Iridian I dusted off my Yaqi Sentinel 1.35. I call this a my modern Tech. Ofcourse there's little similarities in build or shape but the shaving experience feels very similar to me. Both are smooth and extremely forgiving. You apply aftershave and think, wow... This shave was closer than I thought. But then you look closely and there's that black stubble hue. Grmpf. It's a great shaver, but not as deep as the Ax 1.55.

@uptown I have the 1.55 ax and my blade gets stuck as well. It's actually pretty doable to chip it out after a couple of practice runs, but I understand why you'd sent it back. Did you like how it shaved?

full

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Shaun asleep you put it on the handle of the Bohemia, apparently. Very nice photo! I am somehow out of photo mojo and motivation atm.

I am regenerating resources for an AX head and hope I can finally run in my new trailrunners, it supposedly will stop raining tomorrow. And good news, or not, I am not allergic to birch pollen but to a grass called "Timothy" (!). At least I can shave again with aggressive razors and splash and gorge myself with alcoholic aftershave+menthol and alcohol without any regrets. Hm that just sounded wrong but funny.

But tell me, even if comparing OC and SB, are the shaving characteristics of Sentinel and DSC AX/Poleaxe similar or how different are they, actually, besides the obvious 1.35 and 1.5 gap difference?

You ask, I deliver!

Just sacrificed some Lea cream and two Permasharp to compare them. Lucky for you the Sentinel 1.35's lack of efficiency made it possible for me to shave again. Yup, already.

Screenshot_20240507_160702.jpg

The Sentinel 1.35 is extremely smooth, it glides over my face like a skate on ice. There is zero blade feel, wtg, xtg and atg. The Ax 1.55 has more blade reveal, I have no calipers so I couldn't give you exact measurements, but it's easily visible with the naked eye.
Now wtg and xtg this doesn't seem to translate into a much different shaving experience. The ax feels quite similar actually. Smooth, little blade feel. But against the grain I noticed that the ax is quite a bit more aggressive. You feel the blade,something I know you appreciate. I'm not sure if it there is chatter, perhaps a minimal amount which adds to the obvious change in feel. But imo the ax would be a better fit for you.

I always thought blade feel was needed for a deep/efficient shaving experience, but the Ares and Gillette New proved me wrong. But for this head, it does seem necessary...at least when you have fast growing facial hair like myself.

I tried to capture the reveal in 1 pic, not sure it's that great, but here you go. Ax to the right.

Screenshot_20240507_162645.jpg

You ask, I deliver!

Just sacrificed some Lea cream and two Permasharp to compare them. Lucky for you the Sentinel 1.35's lack of efficiency made it possible for me to shave again. Yup, already.

View attachment 1842224

The Sentinel 1.35 is extremely smooth, it glides over my face like a skate on ice. There is zero blade feel, wtg, xtg and atg. The Ax 1.55 has more blade reveal, I have no calipers so I couldn't give you exact measurements, but it's easily visible with the naked eye.
Now wtg and xtg this doesn't seem to translate into a much different shaving experience. The ax feels quite similar actually. Smooth, little blade feel. But against the grain I noticed that the ax is quite a bit more aggressive. You feel the blade,something I know you appreciate. I'm not sure if it there is chatter, perhaps a minimal amount which adds to the obvious change in feel. But imo the ax would be a better fit for you.

I always thought blade feel was needed for a deep/efficient shaving experience, but the Ares and Gillette New proved me wrong. But for this head, it does seem necessary...at least when you have fast growing facial hair like myself.

I tried to capture the reveal in 1 pic, not sure it's that great, but here you go. Ax to the right.

View attachment 1842228
Love the pic with the the Brush, those Razors look ready for the draw and well holstered. I like Blade forward Razors too now and quite enjoy the feel of them on the face. Then again I guess that's cause I still believe that a Straight Razor is the Holy Grail of Wet Shaving, my own personal opinion. Having said that, I'm not venturing anywhere close after my experience with a Shavette years ago. I can nal everything but the neck area, it leaves me with cuts like a rival mafia gang was at my neck, ha ha ha.

I have never used the Yaqi Sentinel 1.35 but I so love the AX 1.55 to bits. The Lambda Razors are just a mystery, how on earth did he nail mild with efficiency, really masterclass in design. I don't own them but have friends who do and won't ever part with those Razors.

I actually sold my Ares. I did it to be cool and unique - and I took a serious hit letting it go. Can't believe people can sell them for asking price on the BST. I also sold a Rex Konsul. I dont like expensive razors and fyi, the Ares is a mighty good razor, but treat yourself to a Gillette New and you will experience something very similar for a fraction of the price.

I still believe that a Straight Razor is the Holy Grail of Wet Shaving

Regarding your shavette sessions... A straight razor is more forgiving than a shavette. I like straights and use them about twice a week, or exclusively when I get bored of double edge razors. I tried a shavette a couple of times, but a straight is just more fun (and if you find a shave ready specimen, then you will notice it's easier than a shavette). Ofcourse you'll have to learn to strop... And maybe even hone, if you fancy keeping them serviceable yourself. It's all great fun, but you need to be able to make time to master all of it.

Yesterday I did a comparison between the Sentinel 1.5 OC and the Poleaxe Zamac 1.55 SB. I have to say this shape of razor head is one I really love. Both phenomenal shaves, very smooth and I don't really find them aggressive at all. They were not careless passes, but I wasn't super cautious either and both sides were very smooth BBS shaves with 2-passes (WTG and ATG) and touch ups. The Sentinel OC was a little bit more efficient and gave a slightly closer shave. But it was a very close battle. You can't go wrong with either of them.

Summarizing my comparisons, Sentinel OC 1.5 and DSC 1.55 are very close, and I would choose one or the other depending on liking OC or SB. Sentinel vs DSC in 1.5 SB is also a close call, but I enjoyed more the shave with the DSC.
On 1.35 SB, both Yaqi and DSCosmetics razors shave very similar. I really couldn't tell them apart on the feel and results.
The DSC 1.15 is a very nice super mild shave, but I did have a couple of ingrown hairs the following day. I'll try it a few more times because I really liked it for a 1-day stubble shave, but that was the caveat.

Overall, phenomenal razors, good price, definitely worth a try!
20240507_110310.jpg

I actually sold my Ares. I did it to be cool and unique - and I took a serious hit letting it go. Can't believe people can sell them for asking price on the BST. I also sold a Rex Konsul. I dont like expensive razors and fyi, the Ares is a mighty good razor, but treat yourself to a Gillette New and you will experience something very similar for a fraction of the price.

Regarding your shavette sessions... A straight razor is more forgiving than a shavette. I like straights and use them about twice a week, or exclusively when I get bored of double edge razors. I tried a shavette a couple of times, but a straight is just more fun (and if you find a shave ready specimen, then you will notice it's easier than a shavette). Ofcourse you'll have to learn to strop... And maybe even hone, if you fancy keeping them serviceable yourself. It's all great fun, but you need to be able to make time to master all of it.
I know what you mean about expensive Razors Shaun. I've been there with Watches but no more. The affordable ones still tell the time and have a load more exciting functions and they last forever like My Casio pro trek pathfinder, solar powered, fourteen years and still going strong.

I'm headed towards the Straight some day. You're so right about the forgiving part. I recollect going to the Barber as a kid and he used to use a straight to shave the area around the ears and on the nape of the neck. It never gave me any Razor burn. But in college, it was a new Barber that used a Shavette and for years i would always walk away with my neck burning up after a haircut and clean up. He had a super light touch but still.

Straight Razors for sure someday soon and would really appreciate any suggestion on which my first should be.

Yesterday I did a comparison between the Sentinel 1.5 OC and the Poleaxe Zamac 1.55 SB. I have to say this shape of razor head is one I really love. Both phenomenal shaves, very smooth and I don't really find them aggressive at all. They were not careless passes, but I wasn't super cautious either and both sides were very smooth BBS shaves with 2-passes (WTG and ATG) and touch ups. The Sentinel OC was a little bit more efficient and gave a slightly closer shave. But it was a very close battle. You can't go wrong with either of them.

Summarizing my comparisons, Sentinel OC 1.5 and DSC 1.55 are very close, and I would choose one or the other depending on liking OC or SB. Sentinel vs DSC in 1.5 SB is also a close call, but I enjoyed more the shave with the DSC.
On 1.35 SB, both Yaqi and DSCosmetics razors shave very similar. I really couldn't tell them apart on the feel and results.
The DSC 1.15 is a very nice super mild shave, but I did have a couple of ingrown hairs the following day. I'll try it a few more times because I really liked it for a 1-day stubble shave, but that was the caveat.

Overall, phenomenal razors, good price, definitely worth a try!
View attachment 1842348
Excellent review and comparison Chelko. The 1.5 OC Sentinel and DS AX 1.55 are hard to choose between and you are bang on, it depends on which day you feel like an OC or SB. Love having them both.

I was ok with the DS AX 1.15 but landed up doing quite a few touch ups which left my skin irritated. I didn't get along with the 1.35 AX, found it less smoother than the 1.55 and a bit bitey. After multiple shaves it was easy for me to just settle for the 1.55. The Yaqi Sentinel OC on the other hand was love at first shave.

Top Bottom