What's new

Yaqi Sentinel

I have both the 1.5 SB and OC from Yaqi, head and geometry of the OC are different, it is aggressive, but also very thorough and shaves way better than the 1.5 SB model. I have no idea if they changed that to the OC cap or if they will leave it like that
Hey @Iridian, how would you compare your Sentinels with a Lupo 95?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Hey @Iridian, how would you compare your Sentinels with a Lupo 95?
Hi, the Sentinel 1.5 OC is much more aggressive and efficient than the Lupo .95 OC. The Sentinel SB is a weird one, I already talked about it as you noticed, I would definitely take the OC. The 1.35 OC will already be more aggressive and efficient than the Lupo .95 OC, IMO. I have a 1.15 Boti Shield SB that is a bit below the Lupo .95 OC in efficiency and aggression.

I would dare to say if you want to have more efficiency than the Lupo, Sentinel 1.35 OC. Glazed Boker also wrote about the Sentinels and liked the 1.5, the 1.35 seems a safer bet for most.

Enjoy your shave. 👍

Hi, the Sentinel 1.5 OC is much more aggressive and efficient than the Lupo .95 OC. The Sentinel SB is a weird one, I already talked about it as you noticed, I would definitely take the OC. The 1.35 OC will already be more aggressive and efficient than the Lupo .95 OC, IMO. I have a 1.15 Boti Shield SB that is a bit below the Lupo .95 OC in efficiency and aggression.

I would dare to say if you want to have more efficiency than the Lupo, Sentinel 1.35 OC. Glazed Boker also wrote about the Sentinels and liked the 1.5, the 1.35 seems a safer bet for most.

Enjoy your shave. 👍
Thanks a lot!

Hi, the Sentinel 1.5 OC is much more aggressive and efficient than the Lupo .95 OC.

I would dare to say if you want to have more efficiency than the Lupo, Sentinel 1.35 OC.
@Iridian, I should have clarified that I have the Lupo 95 SB. Never tried the OC. I tried to find the Sentinel 1.35 OC but I can only find the 1.5 OC. I guess the other one is out of stock or discontinued, though the 1.35 SB is available. I think I might pull the trigger on the 1.5 OC, if it's too crazy I can always release it to the wild. It might be too much based on what you say, but some people say is not that aggressive. It is always hard to tell, because everyone is so different!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
It is always hard to tell, because everyone is so different!
You can go very steep with the Sentinel, the huge gap means you can vary your angle a lot to adjust the shave.

The DSCosmetic Mars head also disappeared after the Chinese New Year sale, the same likely happened to the 1.35 OC. They will likely reappear, but no idea when.

My Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 OC (open comb) arrived today - nicely finished, shiny, and (to my surprise based on earlier comments on this thread) the blade clamping is excellent. The comb tines are relatively wide/thick, which I like (feels less scratchy to me than narrower tines on other open combs). I will be trying it out in the next few days (I also got a Bohemia in).

20240403_011132.jpg

20240404_224820.jpg

I recently acquired several Yaqi razors, including the Sentinels. I researched a lot and thought I had made up my mind but later decided to try for myself. So I got the 1.5 OC, 1.5 SB and 1.35 SB. When they arrived I had already shaved so I tried them in my forearms. Right away I noticed the 1.5 SB is the noticeably different one. Different feel and auditory feedback, but the three of them seemed very efficient.
Yesterday I had my first shave, I did a side-by-side comparison: 1.5 OC vs 1.35 SB with Nacet blades. I was thoroughly impressed. The first shave with a razor is usually not my best, but this was great from the get go. Both are extremely efficient, lots of blade feel while being comfortable. A small nick and mild neck irritation with the 1.5, flawless BBS with the 1.35.
For reference I always shave with a shallow angle, 2 passes WTG & AGT, with minor touch ups. I always shave the same way, I never change for a razor (I rather change the razor). Nevertheless, I did notice that both, particularly the 1.5 OC, give you a wide range of angles to try, as was mentioned by @Iridian.
I'm elated with these razors and I am thrilled to try them more and compare the three of them with each other.

Had to chip in for this one. So Chelko, here's the strange bit about the Wolfman like Razors, I don't have the Sentinel SBs but I do own the Yaqi 1.5 OC and the DS AX-SE Zamak.

Iridian was responsible for me getting the 1.5 OC and I went with his advice to shave steep, used a Wizamet Super Iridium and I had a BBS in two passes with no touch ups. Not a single weeper or nick and I didn't find it threatening at all. Having said that, I did go slow with the Shave. This is one of my Top Five Razor heads now.

Over to the Zamak DS AX-SE, for me the best Value Razor ever. I found Plate 1 to be very mild and not efficient enough. Went with Plate 3 next and it was efficient but I did get a tiny weeper. I recall Iridian reminding me of Half beard's note on the blade gap of Plate 2 being more than 3. Next I took plate 2 for a spin and I had a flawless BBS in 2 passes. I was almost on auto pilot and it was such an enjoyable shave. Then over the weeks I still couldn't figure it out as to why a head with a bigger blade gap was smoother yet equally efficient. Racked my brains over this for a while and couldn't find an answer.

I did what any experienced Shaver would do next and dedicated my shaves only to the DS AX-SE, used the Wizamet Super Iridium blade only and stuck to the same shaving soap and quantity of Lather on my face. Finally figured it out. The Zamak version Plate two may have a bigger blade gap but plate 3 has a tad bit more blade exposure on mine. Guy's I'm not a tech genius on Razor design but that ever so slight increase in Blade exposure makes me a bit cautious when using plate 3.

I used a Friend's WR2 1.25 SB today and I recollect a review expert on another forum confirming that the DS AX 1.55 SS shaved closest to the Wolfman among all the clones. I haven't used the SS version but for me the 1.35 DS AX-SE (Plate 2) among the three plates shaves the closest to a Wolfman. Plate 3 lacks the Smoothness of the Wolf.

What I'd love to know now is how does the AX 1.5 T1 and the 1.35 TI compare to a Wolfman like Shave ?

@rreynoso need your input on the 1.35 Ti vs your 1.55 SS.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@megamac interesting! Your plate 2 switch with plate 3 as well, did I read that right? (gap-wise).
That the blade with the highest gap is the smoothest, well, seems it is a right fit and you can do it with 1-2 passes without need for correction. Seems to be a good fit.

If I were you and it is your favorite, I would focus on figuring out if it is the 1.35 or 1.55 gap and get it in SS or Ti. If you like it that much, that's it. Actually there is no need to upgrade and there are many, many more razors out there to try. :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
View attachment 1824364
View attachment 1824366

I recently acquired several Yaqi razors, including the Sentinels. I researched a lot and thought I had made up my mind but later decided to try for myself. So I got the 1.5 OC, 1.5 SB and 1.35 SB. When they arrived I had already shaved so I tried them in my forearms. Right away I noticed the 1.5 SB is the noticeably different one. Different feel and auditory feedback, but the three of them seemed very efficient.
Yesterday I had my first shave, I did a side-by-side comparison: 1.5 OC vs 1.35 SB with Nacet blades. I was thoroughly impressed. The first shave with a razor is usually not my best, but this was great from the get go. Both are extremely efficient, lots of blade feel while being comfortable. A small nick and mild neck irritation with the 1.5, flawless BBS with the 1.35.
For reference I always shave with a shallow angle, 2 passes WTG & AGT, with minor touch ups. I always shave the same way, I never change for a razor (I rather change the razor). Nevertheless, I did notice that both, particularly the 1.5 OC, give you a wide range of angles to try, as was mentioned by @Iridian.
I'm elated with these razors and I am thrilled to try them more and compare the three of them with each other.
Glad your enjoying the shaves, The Sentinel works best with a Shallow angle(riding the cap) has been my experience after trying neutral and steep angles. One of the fellows mentioned use a shallow angle early on when I bought it and I'm glad I did. I shave a lot of the time with a steep angle(riding the bar) but it was easy to change to riding the cap.

@megamac interesting! Your plate 2 switch with plate 3 as well, did I read that right? (gap-wise).
That the blade with the highest gap is the smoothest, well, seems it is a right fit and you can do it with 1-2 passes without need for correction. Seems to be a good fit.

If I were you and it is your favorite, I would focus on figuring out if it is the 1.35 or 1.55 gap and get it in SS or Ti. If you like it that much, that's it. Actually there is no need to upgrade and there are many, many more razors out there to try. :)
You're absolutely right Iridian - plate 2 has a bigger gap but less blade exposure as compared to 3. I like the AX enough to get one head in SS and that's when I figure out what plate 2 actually is in the SS version. Ann at DS is very helpful and quick with her response so will reach out to her.

Much as I love Ti watches and have a few of them, I figured with the right guidance and recommendations from all you lads on B&B that Stainless Steel is my stride, love the weight, the look and the fact that I can shine them often. To be fair, If I were to get just one and only one Razor, I would probably get a high end Ti. Having said that, once you're down the Rabbit hole that solo Razor is a long forgotten concept.

Last edited:
Glad your enjoying the shaves, The Sentinel works best with a Shallow angle(riding the cap) has been my experience after trying neutral and steep angles. One of the fellows mentioned use a shallow angle early on when I bought it and I'm glad I did. I shave a lot of the time with a steep angle(riding the bar) but it was easy to change to riding the cap.
Hey Ron, Have enjoyed reading every shave experience with the Sentinel that you posted, totally love it Bruh. Thanks to you, I've got acquainted with a few more blade varieties and shaving soaps from the pics you post.

I haven't used the Sentinel SB but I do feel that the 1.5 OC works better when I ride the bar, could probably be my technique but when I tried riding the cap, it wouldn't do anything. All in all the Sentinel is a superb product though.

Iridian's mention of the Yaqi Thalia piqued my interest too but then figured that rather than a Blackbird clone, it was closer to the DE89. Still can't understand why they are charging much for the SS Head.

So Lads even though this is a Sentinel thread, the mystery of the DScosmetic AX-SE is solved. Halfbeard and rreynoso, you two are rock stars for noticing the difference and then measuring the gap, you'll were bang on. Just got a confirmation from ANN at DS that there was indeed a mistake in the numbering of plate 2 and 3. Plate 2 is 1.55 and plate 3 is 1.35. So, Errol on another forum nailed it big time when he said that the 1.55 SS was closest to a Wolfman.

No what has me confused is how can a bigger blade gap like 1.55 be smoother and nicer to the skin. Definitely my fav and I will be picking the 1.55 SS the moment the upgraded version is out. It is a terrific shaver for me. The Ti version is still available though right now.

Iridian, thanks to you I've got used to bigger blade gaps and more blade feel with higher efficiency and find it hard to go back to milder Razors now. That's a good thing.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hey Ron, Have enjoyed reading every shave experience with the Sentinel that you posted, totally love it Bruh. Thanks to you, I've got acquainted with a few more blade varieties and shaving soaps from the pics you post.

I haven't used the Sentinel SB but I do feel that the 1.5 OC works better when I ride the bar, could probably be my technique but when I tried riding the cap, it wouldn't do anything. All in all the Sentinel is a superb product though.

Iridian's mention of the Yaqi Thalia piqued my interest too but then figured that rather than a Blackbird clone, it was closer to the DE89. Still can't understand why they are charging much for the SS Head.
If you find the open comb likes a steep angle (riding the bar) I would just keep using your technique if your happy with results.
When manufacturing products there are +/- tolerances on all products and maybe your razor works best to your technique, I'm just mentioning to you & others from my testing the shaves are better for my technique are shallow angle approach(riding the cap) because of less irritation to none and a close comfortable shave has been my findings.
When you look at DSC AX-SE the tolerances are different as the plates progress(plate #2). They must use a different gage when marking the # plates, maybe DSC used experienced shaving folks and asked what they felt when shaving after each pass and they claimed #2 plate was more aggressive than #1 but not as much as #3(?) plate but gaps do not make sense to us.
The DSC AX-SE looks like a good deal IMO and almost purchased it but I enjoy the Yaqi 1.5mm gap one and had already purchased it before the DSC AX-SE was even introduced to market.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I think @megamac asks so many questions, which is highly suspicious and warrants a proactive execution in my book, he might be a spy, after all.

So maybe we should ask him some questions in return. ;)

You have the Yaqi 1.5 OC and the DSCosmetic 1.55 Zamac SB version of the WR2 clones, how do these two compare, then?

Now that would be interesting. See, I even highlighted it for you. @Ron R listen up, the spy is about to make a final confession before his execution.

One can always go a bit more shallow instead of steep to make the shave more mellow with the high gap WR2 clones. But I also rather use them very steep after that, just not for the first pass with a lot of hair.

The now rather rare Smart Helix razors also offer quite some leeway with the shaving angle.

The one razor where I personally don't go steep is the Blackbird, particularly not the OC. But even there we have people reporting they use it steep. But they are often members of the SASA (Steep Angle Shaving Alliance) and might simply be hell bent on riding that bar steep. At least that's how I make reason of people doing that with the BB! :)

If you find the open comb likes a steep angle (riding the bar) I would just keep using your technique if your happy with results.
When manufacturing products there are +/- tolerances on all products and maybe your razor works best to your technique, I'm just mentioning to you & others from my testing the shaves are better for my technique are shallow angle approach(riding the cap) because of less irritation to none and a close comfortable shave has been my findings.
When you look at DSC AX-SE the tolerances are different as the plates progress(plate #2). They must use a different gage when marking the # plates, maybe DSC used experienced shaving folks and asked what they felt when shaving after each pass and they claimed #2 plate was more aggressive than #1 but not as much as #3(?) plate but gaps do not make sense to us.
The DSC AX-SE looks like a good deal IMO and almost purchased it but I enjoy the Yaqi 1.5mm gap one and had already purchased it before the DSC AX-SE was even introduced to market.
Yeah Ron, you're right about what works best for each one. You know what, I will try a shallow angle with the 1.5 OC just for the fun of it. Wit the DS AX here's what I found, plate 1 needs a shallow angle but plate 2 and 3 work better with Riding the bar. For me shaves with the 1.5 OC Sentinel and the DS Ax 1.55 SB are poles apart. I haven't used the Sentinel SB so I can't comment on that one but the 1.5 OC has a character and personality of its own, I found it very efficient but not aggressive in any way.

The AX on the other hand was just so smooth and a pleasure to use that I was floored. Sometime in the future I would recommend you pick up the 1.5 SB in Stainless Steel, that is when they release the new batch. It's a thoroughly enjoyable shave.

I think @megamac asks so many questions, which is highly suspicious and warrants a proactive execution in my book, he might be a spy, after all.

So maybe we should ask him some questions in return. ;)

You have the Yaqi 1.5 OC and the DSCosmetic 1.55 Zamac SB version of the WR2 clones, how do these two compare, then?

Now that would be interesting. See, I even highlighted it for you. @Ron R listen up, the spy is about to make a final confession before his execution.

One can always go a bit more shallow instead of steep to make the shave more mellow with the high gap WR2 clones. But I also rather use them very steep after that, just not for the first pass with a lot of hair.

The now rather rare Smart Helix razors also offer quite some leeway with the shaving angle.

The one razor where I personally don't go steep is the Blackbird, particularly not the OC. But even there we have people reporting they use it steep. But they are often members of the SASA (Steep Angle Shaving Alliance) and might simply be hell bent on riding that bar steep. At least that's how I make reason of people doing that with the BB! :)
Ha ha ha ha ha. Iridian, that would make me the first easily detectable spy given my size. When I was a kid, My Grandma taught me the Golden rule in life, 'I Don't Know'. She said ask as many questions as you can, don't interrupt the speaker and respect each and every answer. Blame it on my Gran Bruh. I'm also the most inexperienced shaver of the lot and with you kind lads, I've learnt everything from Razor design to technique to developing a hunger for trying out diffrent Razors.

I do find that when I use the DS AX I have to ride the cap for the first plate, plate 3 with a slightly steeper angle and two being the 1.55, I land up using a Steep angle. its not forced but just kind of auto when i hear the blade snipping the whiskers. I'm a huge music lover and boy do I love the sound of the Razors at work, that feedback soothing. I used a Henson Mild once and the silence was disturbing. The 1.5 OC on the other hand, I started my first shave with it using a shallow angle but found it a bit unnatural so landed up using a steep angle and that's how its stayed everytime.

The difference between the Wolfman Stepbrothers is easy. The 1.5 Sentinel OC is very efficient but I can feel the blade a tad bit more. I'm not a huge fan of OCs but the Sentinel OC I fell in love with, it glides over my skin unlike the others that used to feel scratchy. Having said all this if I am shaving with a two day growth I tend to be a tad bit cautious specially around the upper lip area which is my weak spot but with a three or four day growth, I can use the Razor without being concerned about a weeper or a nick. The DS AX-SE 1.55, now that's an entirely different experience. I was worried it would injure due to the savage blade gap but I was wrong, three strokes in and I was almost in auto pilot. Did just two passes which is the most I would go to and achieved a BBS. The Funny thing is it was so smooth that I wanted to do a third pass, it was so tempting but not needed. While trying to clear the blade gap confusion I've had a few shaves with the 1.55 AX and if I didn't like Stainless Steel more, I would've just picked up the Ti.

Just to clarify, have had no weepers or nicks with either and in a toss up I would just prefer the 1.5 Sentinel OC for a thicker growth and the DS AX for anything between a day to three days growth at the max. For me, I tried different blades but the Feathers and even Personna didn't work for me, the Wizamet Super Iridium were a match made in heaven for both Razors. Iridian, does that sound like a proper assesment from an ex MI 5 employee ?

Last edited:
There are a lot of models and variables here! One more to remind us of... The first run of the Sentinel has a thicker cap and seems to shave better shallow. I have that version and I think Ron does too. The second round has a thinner cap and I don't know how it shaves, some have noted chatter.

Then there is the stainless/titanium vs the zamak DSCosmetic AX. One would assume the CNC machined stainless/titanium has more precise tolerances than the zamak.

Top Bottom