What's new

Yaqi Sentinel

Those of you who have bought DS Cosmetics zamack AX-SE trio. I have a feeling that plate 2 has biggest gap. Not plate 3.

Tried to take some pictures to demonstrate that. What do you think?

DSCF5313.JPG

DSCF5314.JPG

DSCF5315.JPG

DSCF5316.JPG

It would still seem that the 2 has a larger gap than the 3. I use toothpicks to compare gap size. Not the most scientifical way, I know but it works for me. Try pushing a toothpick between blade and comb. Use the same angle, just let the toothpick rest on the baseplate and keep it nice and level with the baseplate. The one that cuts first has the smaller gap.

Your photo analysis looks great and I dont want to bash it. It looks like it took you quite alot of effort. But if the camera isn't completly infront of the razor, surely the connected lines arent 100 % comparable either?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Depending on my photographic skills (or lack of) plates 2 and 3 are the same. Only the tiny number is different.

Still a very good shaver.

View attachment 1745215
View attachment 1745216
If you have feeler gauges just slip a used blade in the razor different # base plates and that is the most accurate you will get IMO. Your Photography is great but getting razor in the same place every time like you have tried can give a little distortion I have found when trying to figure blade exposures. Regardless it is better than nothing and feeler gages should measure closer to manufactures specs +/- .04mm or(+/- .0015 inches) which is not a lot IMO. Coatings and casting shrinkage can alter measurements a little also.

Razor DSC AX-SE medium plate 3
Rubie (36)

Today's shave was my first steep angle shave as @Iridian has urged me to try. I have always shaved shallow. But recent thread about steep vs shallow has evoked interest to see if there is life at the other side. What did I see ?
Yes, there is some life... 🦂🪱🌵

Overall shave was quite nice. Much more loud as blade scraped my face and vibrated (chattered is the word?). It was awkward to shave down lips corner. It is difficult even shave shallow. But steep was awkward.

Shave result was CCS. But now when I am writing this I feel bumps on my cheeks :confused2
Not my method of shaving.

Every Shave Day is Shalloween.

DSCF5320.JPG

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Makes one wonder what you get when you order their different stainless and titanium gaps...

Somewhat OT:
Maybe someone can recommend me a digital feeler gauge that doesn't suddenly die for no apparent reason but low quality after 5 years. I only rarely needed it.

I just compared gaps on my Sentinel 1.35 and AX 1.55. I used a flat ruler that fit in between blade and comb nice and snug on the 1.35 sentinel. When I placed the ruler between blade and comb of the 1.55 ax, I had wiggleroom.

So assuming Yaqi's number are on point, I'd say the stainless steel ax gap rating appears to be correct.

Ron R

DE SOTD, Thursday, Dec 7th 2023

Razor :Yaqi Sentinel 1.55mm, 316SSP with a Yaqi Rocket SS handle- Mfg 2021>, excellent machining and finish QC that looks similar to the Personna BBS0, LAS BBS1, Wolfman W2 designed razors. This razor works great with a shallow angle(riding the cap) for my shaving better results. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Kai SS(10) sharp & smooth with excellent longevity. Top tier blade of my 6!
Soap : Razorock Emperor- very unique sharp scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Mysterious space" 24mm silvertip 3band badger. Excellent lather generator, luxury pillow like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock Emperor splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :Dial 10.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Sentinel with a Kai SS blade.
SOTD December 7 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

DE SOTD, Wednesday Jan 10th 2024

Razor : Yaqi Sentinel 1.5mm 316 SSP with a Yaqi Teardrop 316 SSP handle-Mfg 2021>, mild range to tame mid range depending on blade. Well machined and finish QC with polished visible surfaces. I usually like to use a Kai SS Extra wide blade and opted for a Perma-sharp this morning. The Kai SS extra wide gives a little more blade feel with less buffing like other common blades.
The Sentinel works best with a shallow approach(riding the cap).
Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : GSB(1), sharp and smoooth with reasonable longevity. Top tier in my shave space area!
Soap : Speick stick, nice spicy mild scent with excellent lather qualities. One of the best soaps I have ever bought, I just cut a slivers of soap into my bowl and press in and with a wet finger smooth it in and just enjoy it.
Brush : Yaqi "Purple haze" 24mm synthetic. Excellent lather generator, heavenly luxury cloud like soft tips, gentle splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Post shave : Nivea refreshing AS lotion + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Sentinel with a GSB blade.
SOTD Januray 10 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I was on vacation and haven´t followed the later and very interesting posts, and since I still have some free time I made some measurements with a feeler and a Derby Extra blade...

1. DS-AX Ti (1.35): On one side measured 1.245, on the other 1.26 not a gap difference that feels on the shave but I attribute this to the polishing.

2. DS-AX SS (1.55): This one surprised me, it measured exactly 1.55 on both sides, apprently DS has their SS manufacturing and finishing processes more controled.

3. DS-AX SE
3.1 Number 1 (1.15) This one measured 1.042 on both sides
3.2 Number 2 (1.55) One side measured 1.55 but the other 1.245 kind of a difference
3.3 Number 3 (1.35) Both sides measured 1.309

And that´s the variances that one can expect from a chromed zamak operation I think...

Cheers

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Boti Shield Ti 1.15 / Rapira Lux
BotiShieldTi24.jpg

This one is amazing! Despite the small gap for a WR2 clone it is very efficient, due to higher exposure than on the Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 SB. It cannot beat the more aggressive geometry and OC of the Sentinel 1.5 OC, but it is a very good razor.

I like it way more than the Boti Vortex, which is an IMO failed Timeless clone. Visually stunning, shaving wise not that good.

I really would like to have this one in 1.55! But Shield is apparently no longer cooperating with Boti and their own shop doesn't ship to Germany.

But then, there are still enough razors to get on the checklist. 😜

Ron R

DE SOTD, February 8th 2024

Razor : Yaqi Sentinel 1.55mm, 316SSP with a Yaqi Rocket SS handle- Mfg 2021>, Mild to tame mid aggression. Excellent machining and finish QC that looks similar to the Personna BBS0, LAS BBS1, Wolfman W2 designed razors. This razor works great with a shallow angle(riding the cap) for my shaving better results. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Kai SS extra wide(8) sharp and smooth with excellent longevity! Top tier blade IMO for milder razors or a person who enjoys a little blade feel increase or exposure.
Soap : Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore. Nice Vanilla with light tobacco scent with light menthol with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Sagrada Familia" 24 mm Tuxedo synthetic knot. Excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Post shave : Razorock M.F splash( I like RR MF more than SMDF slash with the soap!) with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Sentinel with a Kai SS extra wide.
SOTD Febuaruy 8 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom