What's new

Yaqi Sentinel

How is the skeletonized Yaqi? I was looking at that, but if a 1.15 DS-AX isn't aggressive I wonder if it wouldn't be too mild. Also, does it clamp the blade well so the edge doesn't really move?
How is the skeletonized Yaqi? I was looking at that, but if a 1.15 DS-AX isn't aggressive I wonder if it wouldn't be too mild. Also, does it clamp the blade well so the edge doesn't really move?
The Yaqi .90 skeletonized head is smooth as silk, but too mild for me. At least that’s my impression after one use. The 1.35 is still very smooth but much more efficient. I don’t notice any chatter but I’ll admit I’m not very sensitive to that characteristic. I’ve never tried the DS Cosmetics line up so I can’t give you any firsthand comparisons there.

Several shaves in with the 1.5 DS-AX (Zamak), scalloped head. It continues to be a very smooth shaver (a little rougher and a little scrapey if you ride the bar, so I ride the cap), generally friendly, and shaves quite efficiently/closely (pretty close with 1 WTG pass, as close as anything I use in 2 passes). Unless DSCosmetic comes out with a stainless scalloped cap version (that doesn't have blades getting stuck). I'm very happy with my order. For comparisons, I don't own a smoother razor (which includes Fatips and Game Changers); I'd put the efficiency up there with relatively aggressive razors (Game Changer 1.05, R41 recent version, FOCS/FCCS, etc).

Negatives: you can't get a scalloped cap in stainless, the only handle of theirs I really like is the Destroyer, the tiny numbers that say which plate is which are incredibly small and the "2" looks more like 2 "L"'s fused together on opposite ends. I plan on buying some nylon washers, because if that area ever gets scratched, I won't know which plate is which.

I can tell you my experiences and that of @ClumsyBull and maybe @Shaun asleep will chime in and tell about his DSCosmetics 1.35 in steel.

I have both the 1.5 SB and OC from Yaqi, head and geometry of the OC are different, it is aggressive, but also very thorough and shaves way better than the 1.5 SB model. I have no idea if they changed that to the OC cap or if they will leave it like that.

There is also the Boti Shield 1.15, it might no longer be available, it has more exposure than the 1.5 SB form Yaqi and shaved better, but not as good as the 1.5 OC from Yaqi. 1.15 gap is just not enough for me, but it was still a good shaver, better than the 1.5 Yaqi SB, IMO.

The DSCosmetic AX razors in steel and titanium, I think Shaun's 1.35 Steel version was tight on the blade, but Clumsybull's 1.5 Titanium head works flawlessly. According to Errol from an Australian shaving forum it shaves closest to the Wolfman original, but he only tested the SBs, not the Yaqi OC.

You probably read the postings by @GlazedBoker who seems to have been very pleased with both Yaqi OC and SB, a bit more with the OC if I may dare to say, at least that's how I read his report.

Hope your first shave goes well @Teppanyaki. I see you want to start at 1.15, unless you in general like it mild, I would start with 1.35 right with the middle gap plate. That allows you to dial in "up or down next?" for the next shave.
IF Ever the AX is released in Titanium with OC, it will be a very worthy contender. As it is, the titanium AX SB is a very smooth and efficient razor.

DSCosmetics AX-SE plate 1
Rubie (20)

DSCF5230.JPG

The Yaqi .90 skeletonized head is smooth as silk, but too mild for me. At least that’s my impression after one use. The 1.35 is still very smooth but much more efficient. I don’t notice any chatter but I’ll admit I’m not very sensitive to that characteristic. I’ve never tried the DS Cosmetics line up so I can’t give you any firsthand comparisons there.
Same!

A very good shave ! I am extremely pleased witlh this razor. I'll try higher number plates in the future. But this mild no 1 plate is all I need for troubleless shaving!

Todays shave:
DSCosmetics AX-SE zamack plate 2
Rubie (22)

First shave with plate 2 (1,35mm). Usual two pass head and face shave. A very good shave. Little more blade feel. Some sting from alum. BBS head and DFS+ face . I never get BBS on face because of neck hair . Not worth the trouble of BBS.

First impression is - I like plate 1 better but plate 2 is also very good !

DSCF5233.JPG

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Thursday, October 26th 2023

Razor : Yaqi V1 Sentinel 1.5mm with a Yaqi Chippendale (Darwin looking) 316SSP handle- Mfg 2022>, mild range. Machining and finish QC OK. Very nice razor to use for those days when you would like just a DFS IMO. Designed very similar to the Personna BBS0 or LAS BBS1 & Wolfman W2.
Blade : Treet SS Platinum (1) milder sharp + smooth. First use in a mild razor and the it worked reasonably well. I will try the next shave with this blade in a mid range razor. Had a DFS this morning.
Soap : Proraso green, nice scent of eucalyptus with a touch of menthol + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Mysterious space" 24mm Timberwolf knot. Excellent lather generator, luxury cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Proraso green splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)5 template 8.5.1.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=::thumbup: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Sentinel 1.5mm with a Treet platinum blade.
SOTD October 26 2023.jpg

Have some great shaves!

In the Sentinel line, the 1.35 seems to hit the sweet spot for me. The .90 was so smooth I thought I’d forgotten to load a blade, but not efficient enough. The 1.50 was still pretty smooth and plenty efficient, but would bite if I went too fast (which is easy with such a smooth and maneuverable razor. The 1.35 is super smooth and efficient enough to be a great daily driver. It’s a pleasure coupled with the Chippendale handle and a bargain for the price.
IMG_3359.jpeg

AX-SE plate 3
Rubie (34), nice mellow blade

Today was first time head and face shave with DS Cosmetics AX-SE plate 3. I took it very carefully. Never shaved with such big gap. It felt like using shavette. There was blade feel. I could not loosen up attention.
Result was very good BBS face and head , DFS neck. One tiny weeper round Adams apple and some irritation on neck.

Plate 3 is not for everyday use. But I'll take it out on some occations.
I said that about plate 2 too. But after some shaves I think plate 2 for more frequent uses.

DSCF5275.JPG

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Halfbeard I am relieved that you enjoy this razor. With such a gap one has to pay attention at corners of the face like that of chin or jaw, but otherwise just going steep as the razor likes it is pretty safe.

Maybe I should get a Ti 1.5 then, but I already have the Yaqi 1.5 OC and love that one very much already. The Boti Shield clone in 1.15 is surprisingly good, it has a lot of exposure, that always seems to beat gap for a clean shave, gap seems to be more for processing lots of hair or causing injuries.

Erm, did I just start babbling? Sorry, not sorry! :)

The beauty of the clones is that, while they are for sure not the real deal, give us blue smurf smallfolk affordable razors that give an idea of the awesome head geometry design of Wolfman.

It is no coincidence that a lot of the most popular razors are straight copies or near clones of Wolfman head designs, thinking about Lupo, Game Changer and now the WR2. I mean even the clones of Wolfman get cloned. Jedis, be afraid! There might be more than just one Palpatine clone among them. I am deviating again. Sigh...

1.35 sounds fine and I think with some more use and getting used to it, the 1.5 gap won't command as much respect anymore.

I imagine it to be for you like me and the R41. Got two good initial shaves, then loaded a Feather and that third or so shave ended with a bloody sink...^^

But then, not everyone is a smurf, better luck for you and have fun! :c18:

@Halfbeard I am relieved that you enjoy this razor. With such a gap one has to pay attention at corners of the face like that of chin or jaw, but otherwise just going steep as the razor likes it is pretty safe.

Maybe I should get a Ti 1.5 then, but I already have the Yaqi 1.5 OC and love that one very much already. The Boti Shield clone in 1.15 is surprisingly good, it has a lot of exposure, that always seems to beat gap for a clean shave, gap seems to be more for processing lots of hair or causing injuries.

Erm, did I just start babbling? Sorry, not sorry! :)

The beauty of the clones is that, while they are for sure not the real deal, give us blue smurf smallfolk affordable razors that give an idea of the awesome head geometry design of Wolfman.

It is no coincidence that a lot of the most popular razors are straight copies or near clones of Wolfman head designs, thinking about Lupo, Game Changer and now the WR2. I mean even the clones of Wolfman get cloned. Jedis, be afraid! There might be more than just one Palpatine clone among them. I am deviating again. Sigh...

1.35 sounds fine and I think with some more use and getting used to it, the 1.5 gap won't command as much respect anymore.

I imagine it to be for you like me and the R41. Got two good initial shaves, then loaded a Feather and that third or so shave ended with a bloody sink...^^

But then, not everyone is a smurf, better luck for you and have fun! :c18:
Interesting comment.

I wonder what technical capability and know how has the Wolfman company (as far as I know, a team of very few people) against Gillette or previous producers with much more budget to create a design that everyone accepts here as formidable? I have never tried a Wolfman but I am very close to buy a yaqi/Ds cosmetic similar shape though...

Errr, I don't know. I was actually thinking of selling mine. The Sentinel 1.35 is quite a bit less efficient to me, but it's also safer and smoother.
I caught a good chunk of my upper lip again, the slightly creased area where cheek goes to moustache area - just because I was going too fast.
The big gap is quite unforgiving in that regard.

I still love it though, mostly because it looks absolutely AWESOME!
But I've sold awesome looking razors before... :)

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Shaun asleep hey, go over to that steep or shallow thread, maybe you will find an answer there. SIT AT THE BAR of the razor, RIDE the bar, not the cap. This works, but is a bit odd around the corners of the face, one must indeed pay attention not to get a whole chunk of skin/meat into the gap there. You might try to turn the razor upside down and rather come from below with an ATG pass and be careful at the edge you still might have to clean.

@Shaun asleep hey, go over to that steep or shallow thread, maybe you will find an answer there. SIT AT THE BAR of the razor, RIDE the bar, not the cap. This works, but is a bit odd around the corners of the face, one must indeed pay attention not to get a whole chunk of skin/meat into the gap there. You might try to turn the razor upside down and rather come from below with an ATG pass and be careful at the edge you still might have to clean.
Hmm, face meat....
1_LntRLujaf_JjZuQDpRjUDA (1).jpg

Top Bottom