What's new

Worst shave ever..

This morning I tried to give my Autostrop VB2 another go. I started with it and went for a month straight using it. Then my Slim arrived and I’ve been favoring it this month. It’s just smoother and easier.

I went with the AS at a greater angle than usual trying to compete with the Slim on #3 (I’m new and still getting my numbers). Face went ok, seemed to take more “work” than the Slim…but the neck….near hamburger. Right side flared up, had some serious redness and a little blood that took a styptic pencil to clear up.

I dunno, seems the AS is “pointier” or “straighter” or something. Seems like it digs in or I dunno what.

I really want to use the AS since I like the razors look and feel. I only either get a mild shave or train wreck. I think one is related to the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
New razor = new rules.

Every time you change kit, adjustments need to be made to the technique to compensate, as all the goalposts have been moved. Depending how different it is from what you're used to, it may take a good few shaves to discover the new sweet spot in angles, and what other handling tweaks are needed.

First, I have been shaving for a very long time. One of the things I realize is that no matter how much I try there are certain razors that don't work on an individual's face. For example, I bought the infamous Muhle R.41 when it first came out. No matter what angles or techniques I tried I would get irritation and weepers. After about 30 lousy shaves over three month period I finally gave up. That was about ten years ago. Recently, I borrowed an R.41 from a friend - but the result was the same.

I gave myself a break today. I’m going to lay off the Autostrop for now. I’ll try again with another AS I have coming as well as a OneBlade. I’ll see if I can make the firmer single edge work with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom