What's new

Tire Inflation - manual or powered?

Anyone else inflate their vehicle tires manually? After my electric powered inflator died about 18 months ago, I replaced it with a foot pump. I reasoned that it should last longer and be more trouble free, and not be much of a workout since one should only need to add a few pounds of pressure to top off the tire pressure. And I could use more exercise so why not. It has been a good choice for the most part, though I found one tire at least 8 pounds under inflated today and it took more strokes to inflate it than I bargained for, causing me to question my method of inflating for a few minutes.

Modern vehicles come with Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems, but how many are repaired when they fail. To that end does anyone have a recommendation for a tire pressure gauge? One that is accurate and reliable for a decade or more? In the attached photo the big round one is only 18 months old and seems accurate enough but does not hold the reading making it hard to use. The pencil/stick gauge in the middle is over a decade old and still works well. The pencil gauge on the right is stuck/dead. I had always questioned those cheap pencil sticks but maybe one just needs to get a couple of them to help detect inaccuracy in readings?

Tire-inflation_20231220.jpg

Regarding tire pressure readings, does anyone's vehicle with a fancy TPMS show the readings in real time, such as at start up when cold and then later when rolling down the highway? If so, I am curious how much the reading increases after some distance.

When topping off my tires today I noticed pressure reading differences that were either due to my lack of attention, inconsistent tire pressure gauges, or the physics of air heating. Air temperatures were about 40F when I started. The 1st tire was the most underinflated, and after pumping much longer than I expected (based on using this pump before) I stopped 2 pounds short of my target. On the 2nd tire I stopped 1 pound short of my target. The 3rd and 4th tires were only a few pounds underinflated and they were quickly topped off, in fact I initially over inflated both by around 3 PSI when using time and back pressure (difficultly in pumping) as a indicator. After getting tires 3 & 4 corrected I went back to tire #1. I was surprised to see it now reading +2 pounds over, meaning there was a 4 PSI increase after sitting still for about 10-15 minutes. Tire #2 which I had left at -1 PSI underinflated was now +1 overinflated. While the air pump cylinders do heat up when in use, making the injected air a little less dense, I don't have any explanation of why the tire pressure rose just sitting there?? Was it physics or equipment & user error?

Regarding tire pressure readings, does anyone's vehicle with a fancy TPMS show the readings in real time, such as at start up when cold and then later when rolling down the highway? If so, I am curious how much the reading increases after some distance.
One of my cars does real time readings. I topped off my tires last week, temps in the mid 20s to low 30s. Cold they're 33 and they get up to 35 or 36 after I've been at highway speeds for 15 or 20 minutes.

I've been using a bike pump after discovering how (relatively) easy it was one time when I had a near flat that I needed to get the half mile to the tire place. I probably could find a use for a compressor but haven't bought one yet... borrowed my dad's when I did the roof this summer.

The one filling station near me with free air, the machine is very slow. It's faster for me to do it manually actually and the gauge on my bike pump is fairly accurate. It's off by about a pound so I just fill to 32 on the gauge and I'm good to go.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Heh. When I was a kid my dad would send me out to pump up the tires on his truck. Getting those massive meats up to 85 psi was a bit of a struggle. "Builds character," he'd say. "He's enough of a character," Mom would answer. I kept breaking pump handles, so he put a piece of pipe on it. :)

Since then I've been a real fan of compressors. Oh, I'll air up a bike tire with a hand pump, but Reddy Kilowatt takes care of anything else.

I just go to an auto parts store and buy a decent plunger-style gauge. The ones for the car and truck last a long time. The one I use for the tractor tires dies quick after a couple years of calcium tire fluid being forced into them. Which reminds me; gotta buy another one tomorrow when I'm in town.

O.H.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

When topping off my tires today I noticed pressure reading differences that were either due to my lack of attention, inconsistent tire pressure gauges, or the physics of air heating. Air temperatures were about 40F when I started. The 1st tire was the most underinflated, and after pumping much longer than I expected (based on using this pump before) I stopped 2 pounds short of my target. On the 2nd tire I stopped 1 pound short of my target. The 3rd and 4th tires were only a few pounds underinflated and they were quickly topped off, in fact I initially over inflated both by around 3 PSI when using time and back pressure (difficultly in pumping) as a indicator. After getting tires 3 & 4 corrected I went back to tire #1. I was surprised to see it now reading +2 pounds over, meaning there was a 4 PSI increase after sitting still for about 10-15 minutes. Tire #2 which I had left at -1 PSI underinflated was now +1 overinflated. While the air pump cylinders do heat up when in use, making the injected air a little less dense, I don't have any explanation of why the tire pressure rose just sitting there?? Was it physics or equipment & user error?
On a 20F day, I've had tire pressure go up 5 psi during in town driving at 40 - 45 mph

Milton S-920 0-70 psi if you do not have a vehicle running 10ply rating tires.
S-925 if you do have 10 PR tires

I’m a stickler about tire pressures and maintenance having been a tire monkey in the past as well as seeing accidents low tire pressures have cause in my current career.

I have on in both of our smaller vehicles and my MIL vehicle.
925 in my f250
On average 10* F = 1 psi Drop or rise.
I personally have better things to do with my time than air tires up with a manual pump.
Viair 89p-rvs makes a great inflator.
the f250 has on board compressor (100% duty cycle) and tank.

Last edited:
For me it depends on the size of the tire, the weather, and my mood. I have a bicycle pump and a diaphragm compressor with a tank in my garage to choose from.

Bicycles always get the hand pump and cars always get the compressor. The rest - snow blower, mower, ATV, lawn cart - vary depending on how hard I feel like working.

I also keep a tire plug kit and 12v tankless compressor in the emergency duffle in my SUV. Got those after waiting 4 hours for AAA on a flat tire that couldn't be fixed with the manufacturer's kit (no spare, just an aerosol can of sealant and crappy compressor) on my wife's car.

Regarding gauges, I use both pencil gauges and a $15 digital gauge from Walmart. I checked the digital gauge against a couple of my pencil gauges and it reads true.

Living in the coldest city in the world (self declared), our PSI is all over the place when the temps fluctuate +/-20*c overnight (70*f).

I run 275/70/18 E rated 10ply tires on my truck.

These are always in the truck and used to check/confirm TPMS periodically and inflate when seasonal temps drop. A NoCo (or similar) battery booster pack is also a must have.

The inflator is powerful enough for truck tires and will reach my small camper trailer when hooked up if needed. I find the battery hook up inflators much quicker, convenient and more reliable than the 12v ones that plug into the accessory outlet (often needing the key/accessory to be on).

I also own a similar gauge in analogue. The digital one is easier to pinpoint psi and I've checked multiple times, double checking and it seems to be accurate from one reading to the next and close to onboard TPMS readout on my dash. I trust the gauge more than the TPMS system.

Viair 00088 88P Portable Air Compressor Amazon.ca - https://a.co/d/9TsWfIB

JACO ElitePro Digital Tire Pressure Gauge - Professional Accuracy - 100 PSI Amazon.ca - https://a.co/d/hC7Kn1Z

Last edited:
I have an upright compressor with a wall mounted hose reel in one of my garages. I can reach cars on my main driveway and under my side carport. I keep a pancake compressor in my back garage for anything parked out back that needs air. I have a couple of 12v compressors and plug kits for on the road. I carry one of the 12v compressors and plugs in the saddlebag of my motorcycle with tubeless tires. I took the plastic housing off the compressor and just kept the pump. It's saved day for several riders over the years.

Milton S-920 0-70 psi if you do not have a vehicle running 10ply rating tires.
S-925 if you do have 10 PR tires

I’m a stickler about tire pressures and maintenance having been a tire monkey in the past as well as seeing accidents low tire pressures have cause in my current career.

I have on in both of our smaller vehicles and my MIL vehicle.
925 in my f250
On average 10* F = 1 psi Drop or rise.
I personally have better things to do with my time than air tires up with a manual pump.
Viair 89p-rvs makes a great inflator.
the f250 has on board compressor (100% duty cycle) and tank.
After a brief read prompted by your response, I may get a Milton S-921. I liked its more granular scale over the S-920, but I have not yet fully appreciated your comment on tire ratings and how that might affect which gauge to use. It will be used on a passenger car and 1/2 ton pickup so I don't anticipate needing to measure 40+ cold pressures. It appears that Milton is a trusted brand so I will look for them over some random brand I might find.

My most recent purchase (and shown in post #1) was this TireTek gauge. It appears to measure accurately, but the needle will not freeze and capture the reading, just like this reviewer experienced. So I don't like using it, even though it should work longer and better than a pencil gauge.
proxy.php

I have had better luck out of cheap digital gauges than cheap dial or pencil gauges. I have a digital gauge I bought around 15 years ago. It is always accurate when I check it against another source.

After a brief read prompted by your response, I may get a Milton S-921. I liked its more granular scale over the S-920, but I have not yet fully appreciated your comment on tire ratings and how that might affect which gauge to use. It will be used on a passenger car and 1/2 ton pickup so I don't anticipate needing to measure 40+ cold pressures. It appears that Milton is a trusted brand so I will look for them over some random brand I might find.

My most recent purchase (and shown in post #1) was this TireTek gauge. It appears to measure accurately, but the needle will not freeze and capture the reading, just like this reviewer experienced. So I don't like using it, even though it should work longer and better than a pencil gauge.
proxy.php
The 0-70 psi will do fine up to 8 pr tires.
With higher ply rating normally the pressure require to carry its full weight increases. An 8 PR tire (load range D) normally runs 65 psi to achieve maximum weight capacity.
A 10 PR requires 80 normally to get its maximum capacity.

A normal passenger car tire (p metric sizing) gets its max sound 40-44 psi and a 6 pr (load range C ) truck tire (Lt sizing) which is normally what is found on half tons is 50 psi for its max weight capacity.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
We have a little foot one that I used to use to pump up tractor and wheel barrow tires. Those are all 10-15 psi. It still works fine, even if I don’t some days. I think that one was about $15 at Pep Boys over 25 years ago.

And we have an electric B&D Airstation from over 35 years ago that we still use today for the vehicles. Still works like the day we bought it, except for needing a new chuck a few years back. Like everything else in the garage, I don’t use it as much as in years past. It goes well over 80 psi if you need it to, but most of its life it runs under 40 psi.

A few years back, I briefly thought about buying a small electric air compressor with tank to mount on the garage wall … for convenience. But all the newer ones in the sub $300 range don’t hold up, apparently. It’s not like I plan on inflating tires for too many more years anyway. Most of the cars have pressure sensors on them now. We replace them every 10 years, and have two sets to replace next spring with new tires.

So we stay happy with our old Airstation. Its box is starting to get tattered, but it’s not too much work to haul it out of the cabinet 1-2x a year. I think I paid under $30 for it when Ronald Reagan was still President. It’s US made, and gives us no troubles. I still see good used ones for sale on ebay, so it must be a well made pump.

Even though the Airstation has a nice built in gauge, I’m still using the same hand held air gauge I bought in the early 80s. US-made, glass dial, all brass with a rubber slip case. It still works like the day I bought it. A very accurate gauge. I don’t remember the brand. I think that one was under $20 at some commercial tool counter. I’ve inflated so many tires with that gauge over the years, I can get a tire to within 1/10 psi with it with the letoff (provided my eyes are sharp that day).

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Living in the coldest city in the world (self declared), our PSI is all over the place when the temps fluctuate +/-20*c overnight (70*f).

What city? I lived in Yellowknife for a while, that's cold! Saw -68C once at a mine a couple of hundred km north. Nose froze in about a minute :D

, I may get a Milton S-921
That's what I keep in the cars and what I was going to recommend.

I did the exact opposite of you for my folks. My dad was using a manual pump, but he's not in the best shape. I got him a Ridgid pancake compressor and enough hose so that he can leave the compressor in the basement and top off the tires in the driveway.

Every once in a while the little old ladies at the park ask me to fill up their tires when their light comes on, so I throw my pancake compressor in the trunk and take care of it the next day. I got a nice loaf of sourdough last week.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My air compressor has a tire inflator and gauge on it. The gauge on the air compressor and my vehicle tire system are roughly 3-4 psi off. So IDK who to trust. On board was telling me 29psi. I filled it up until the air compressor said 34psi. Then on board tells me it’s 31psi. So whatever, close enough I guess.

My tires warm up about 3 PSI while driving over Winter. Maybe 4-5 PSI over Summer.

Top Bottom