What's new

Wonderbar or blackbird

So I'm torn between getting a wonderbar which I've wanted for years or a blackbird . The blackbird seems like it probably will be a better shaver but I don't have any slant razors in my collection right now and they might not make another run of wonderbar razors for a while but I could always get a superslant L3 OC when they re stock those

It's a tough choice on your hands., you can't go wrong with either of the three choices.. I Just picked up a wunderbar, to join the superslant l3.. I think I prefer the blackbird over the superslant L3 by a hair.. I've only got 3 shaves with the wunderbar, and I think I prefer the superslant. THE WUNDERBAR has a larger learning curve of the three. But it's a tough choice in only selecting one of them. Lol

So I'm torn between getting a wonderbar which I've wanted for years or a blackbird . The blackbird seems like it probably will be a better shaver but I don't have any slant razors in my collection right now and they might not make another run of wonderbar razors for a while but I could always get a superslant L3 OC when they re stock those
Do you have any other shavers that share the blackbird characteristics, meaning low gap positive exposure on a low profile head?

Maybe a carbon cx or timeless slim?

Based on what I have read they shave similarly, but most prefer the Blackbird to those shavers, however if that is the case I would go with the Wunderbar for the sake of variety on my rotation.

I do not have the blackbird, but I do have the Wunderbar, and to me was a superb shaver, better than all other razors I had bought before, with it's only downside being it's larger head due to the pronounced curvature.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
So I'm torn between getting a wonderbar which I've wanted for years or a blackbird.
Are you a steep or a shallow angle shaver? Both Wunderbar and Blackbird rather want it shallow.
If steep, almost the same as the Wunderbar with optional OC is the SuperSlant L3+ range (my L3 OC++ is more aggressive than the Wunderbar, the L3 SB without plusses was a bit less efficient).

If you get a Blackbird, definitely shell out for the polished finish. I am not overly impressed by machined and bead blast finishs I have seen.

If you have no or not much slant experience so far, the Blackbird is a safer choice. I agree with @DeBladeRunner that the Wunderbar is quite a special one that needs some getting used to. Mainly because it tends to cut without me feeling much, i.e. I once sliced off a whole lot of skin on my chin and only noticed when a skin flap was found on the bar of the Wunderbar.

Unless you want a shallow angle razor, the Superslant series should also be considered. Getting a Wunderbar right now is way more difficult.

Do you have any other shavers that share the blackbird characteristics, meaning low gap positive exposure on a low profile head?

Maybe a carbon cx or timeless slim?

Based on what I have read they shave similarly, but most prefer the Blackbird to those shavers, however if that is the case I would go with the Wunderbar for the sake of variety on my rotation.

I do not have the blackbird, but I do have the Wunderbar, and to me was a superb shaver, better than all other razors I had bought before, with it's only downside being it's larger head due to the pronounced curvature.
The only really positive exposure razor I have would be a shavecraft tech, but I have wanted a wunderbar for a few years now it's tough I'm leaning towards the black bird

Are you a steep or a shallow angle shaver? Both Wunderbar and Blackbird rather want it shallow.
If steep, almost the same as the Wunderbar with optional OC is the SuperSlant L3+ range (my L3 OC++ is more aggressive than the Wunderbar, the L3 SB without plusses was a bit less efficient).

If you get a Blackbird, definitely shell out for the polished finish. I am not overly impressed by machined and bead blast finishs I have seen.

If you have no or not much slant experience so far, the Blackbird is a safer choice. I agree with @DeBladeRunner that the Wunderbar is quite a special one that needs some getting used to. Mainly because it tends to cut without me feeling much, i.e. I once sliced off a whole lot of skin on my chin and only noticed when a skin flap was found on the bar of the Wunderbar.

Unless you want a shallow angle razor, the Superslant series should also be considered. Getting a Wunderbar right now is way more difficult.
Yeah most of the razors I tend to like do shave at a steep angle .I've had a 37c slant and a PAA bakelite slant. Never really liked the 37 but that was about 7 years ago I got rid of it , I did like the PAA it was fun and I could get a great shave with it .it wasn't the most efficient but I could achieve a really nice shave with it. You said getting a wonderbar right now is way more difficult?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
You said getting a wonderbar right now is way more difficult?
They were retired in favor of the follow-up design, the Superslant. But due to popular demand they were brought back. Maybe it is the fancy name or rep, "We have had so many customers ask for the Wunderbar to come back so we have decided to run a small batch of them for those who missed out when they were available" so... if you really want the Wunderbar, get it NOW before they are gone for good till who knows.

If you rather shave steep by default, I would rather suggest a Superslant L3+, OC or SB depending on your preference.

RazoRock Razor Scale - The Bottom is the Mildest and The Top is the Mo – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/pages/razorock-razor-scale for comparison, the scale is mostly okay, but I find the Lupos to be rated too aggressive, with the JAWS .84 actually being more aggressive than the Lupo .95 IMO.

From a strictly logical perspective, the Blackbird has a return policy that the Wunderbar doesn't. So you could try out the Blackbird and return it if you don't love it and move on to the Wunderbar. But you can't really do that in the other direction.

Other than that big distinction, both are great (and quite different) razors that you'll likely be very happy with.

From a strictly logical perspective, the Blackbird has a return policy that the Wunderbar doesn't. So you could try out the Blackbird and return it if you don't love it and move on to the Wunderbar. But you can't really do that in the other direction.

Other than that big distinction, both are great (and quite different) razors that you'll likely be very happy with.
Wow I had no idea blackbird had a return policy like that, I ended up buying a super slant last night but the blackbird is next on my list . Too many people have said good things about it for me not to end up getting one . Thank you for reaching out with that return policy information

They were retired in favor of the follow-up design, the Superslant. But due to popular demand they were brought back. Maybe it is the fancy name or rep, "We have had so many customers ask for the Wunderbar to come back so we have decided to run a small batch of them for those who missed out when they were available" so... if you really want the Wunderbar, get it NOW before they are gone for good till who knows.

If you rather shave steep by default, I would rather suggest a Superslant L3+, OC or SB depending on your preference.

RazoRock Razor Scale - The Bottom is the Mildest and The Top is the Mo – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/pages/razorock-razor-scale for comparison, the scale is mostly okay, but I find the Lupos to be rated too aggressive, with the JAWS .84 actually being more aggressive than the Lupo .95 IMO.
Ok so I ended up buying a super slant L3++ last night after thinking about it more. I have a lupo .95 OC , I know they are 2 very different razors but would you say the L3++oc is more or less aggressive than the lupo .95OC?

The only really positive exposure razor I have would be a shavecraft tech, but I have wanted a wunderbar for a few years now it's tough I'm leaning towards the black bird
It is a more popular razor, so it should be easier to sell of you decide to go the other way latter on. Also, blackland's return policy is pretty good.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have a lupo .95 OC , I know they are 2 very different razors but would you say the L3++oc is more or less aggressive than the lupo .95OC?
More. It will give you a smooth shave but it has the largest gap of any SuperSlant/Wunderbars and its an OC on top, so also quite some injury potential. It is much harder to cause a nick with the Lupo .95 OC.

1704546442452.png

No worries, usually doesn't bite.

More. It will give you a smooth shave but it has the largest gap of any SuperSlant/Wunderbars and its an OC on top, so also quite some injury potential. It is much harder to cause a nick with the Lupo .95 OC.

View attachment 1775724

Wow it looks So cool with that handle and stand, I ended up ordering the L3++ because the L3++OC was out of stock. Really excited about it . I probably will eventually get the L3OC base plate

Very classy response. Kudos!

View attachment 1775724

You know that between SS and Wunderbar I like the SS more
I find Wunderbar very silent, I prefer the cutting feed of the SS

I would suggest basing it on your skin rather than shaving efficiency...

Both are super efficient razors but the wunderbar was far too much for my skin!
I do four passes daily so I need a razor that doesn't aggravate the skin too much.

The blackbird gives me the skin comfort I need plus the high efficiency I want.

Yes, the Wunderbar can shave with me wondering if it removed anything. I often check in the mirror or with my hands. The SuperSlant has a bit tactile feedback that is much appreciated, plus a steeper shaving angle.
Just tried the Wunderbar. 4 1/2 days growth. Used Cremo/Persona Red. Started with the face. The hair came off so easily it was like the hair wasn't even connected to my face. No clogging either. No cuts, knicks, or irritation. So I went for the head. Same results. I don't normally use that blade either so that makes me assume any blade will work. It went so well that I will use it exclusively until I don't.

Top Bottom