What's new

Wolfman Wednesday

It is difficult to compare razors because often times the manufacturer doesn’t reveal things like blade exposure and then razor head geometry comes into play as well. There is a post on a different forum by someone who uses the name Starman where he measured the blade exposure of some Wolfman razors and he calculated others. Here is an extract from his post
“The 1.15 side is ballpark 0.09mm positive blade exposure
The 1.55 side is ballpark 0.40mm positive blade exposure

Based on these measurements a rough positive blade exposure calculation could look like this:

0.95 Negative. -0.076mm Calculated
1.05 P 0.01mm. (Measured)
1.15 P 0.09mm. (Measured)
1.25 P 0.167mm. Calculated. ————————-Blackbird P 0.14mm (measured)
1.35 P 0.244mm. Calculated
1.45 P 0.321mm. Calculated. (Measured 0.33mm)
1.55 P 0.40mm. (Measured)

These values are for the WR2 Wolfman

I searched the Yates website and all that I could find was that the 921 H has a positive blade exposure. Perhaps you can contact Yates to get the real value and that might help you determine which Wolfman is best for you. Or you can just buy the one that most people end up finding works best for them which is the WR2 1.25.
Thank you so much for taking the time for this detailed response. I really appreciate it!

C3A92AE2-0B32-48A3-8ABD-C7468AFCC1B2.jpeg

It is difficult to compare razors because often times the manufacturer doesn’t reveal things like blade exposure and then razor head geometry comes into play as well. There is a post on a different forum by someone who uses the name Starman where he measured the blade exposure of some Wolfman razors and he calculated others. Here is an extract from his post
“The 1.15 side is ballpark 0.09mm positive blade exposure
The 1.55 side is ballpark 0.40mm positive blade exposure

Based on these measurements a rough positive blade exposure calculation could look like this:

0.95 Negative. -0.076mm Calculated
1.05 P 0.01mm. (Measured)
1.15 P 0.09mm. (Measured)
1.25 P 0.167mm. Calculated. ————————-Blackbird P 0.14mm (measured)
1.35 P 0.244mm. Calculated
1.45 P 0.321mm. Calculated. (Measured 0.33mm)
1.55 P 0.40mm. (Measured)

These values are for the WR2 Wolfman

I searched the Yates website and all that I could find was that the 921 H has a positive blade exposure. Perhaps you can contact Yates to get the real value and that might help you determine which Wolfman is best for you. Or you can just buy the one that most people end up finding works best for them which is the WR2 1.25.
Quick follow up- I emailed Yates and was told that their H-plate has a positive blade exposure of roughly 0.03-0.05.

Quick follow up- I emailed Yates and was told that their H-plate has a positive blade exposure of roughly 0.03-0.05.
That appears to put it squarely between the WR2 1.05 and the 1.15. If I am not mistaken, Wolfman will sometimes make a blade gap on request. If you want to keep the same blade exposure as the 92H, I would ask the good folks at Wolfman if they would make you a WR2 razor with a blade gap of 1.10. There is some variance in razor blade widths so that explains Yates reply of .03-.05. As to the WR1, I honestly don't know much about them. They are different than the WR2.

That appears to put it squarely between the WR2 1.05 and the 1.15. If I am not mistaken, Wolfman will sometimes make a blade gap on request. If you want to keep the same blade exposure as the 92H, I would ask the good folks at Wolfman if they would make you a WR2 razor with a blade gap of 1.10. There is some variance in razor blade widths so that explains Yates reply of .03-.05. As to the WR1, I honestly don't know much about them. They are different than the WR2.

And so is the Yates and the WR2. The gaps may be similar with the 1.05 but the shave is different.
For comparison the WR1 standard gap, 0.61 is set at 0.10 exposure.

I'm pretty sure razor design is a little more complicated than just using the same numbers. The heads look quite different and they both hold the blade in a different way. I haven't used the Yates H for almost a year and that was part of a pass around but the WR2 has a fairly unique feel to me. So maybe I had a couple of shaves with the H in total. I had all the plates except the hybrid to test. All I can say it was different experience to the Wolfman. I'd need to retry to refresh my memory and give you a proper comparison.

From my experience, Yates H plate behaves more like the Wr2 1.25, NOT 1.15… EH plate is more like 1.35, but a little less efficient and smooth as the 1.35… Efficiency and smoothness accounted for. 1.05 or even 1.15 is like M plate. This is from my miles, as I shaved back to back. Don’t always go by the numbers.

From my experience, Yates H plate behaves more like the Wr2 1.25, NOT 1.15… EH plate is more like 1.35, but a little less efficient and smooth as the 1.35… Efficiency and smoothness accounted for. 1.05 or even 1.15 is like M plate. This is from my miles, as I shaved back to back. Don’t always go by the numbers.
Thanks- Since I've never tried the Wolfman and can only go by specs and anecdotal report, perhaps I should err on the side of going milder vs. perhaps something more aggressive than my current H-plate Yates (which I feel is good, but sometimes producing more skin irritation than my M-plate (.64 blade gap) that came stock).

Also, if you don’t mind me asking, can you tell me where I can obtain a Darth Vader razor stand like the one you posted earlier in this thread? If it is a secret of the rebellion and there are hidden plans, feel free to send me a PM! I must have one! This is the way.

Need som help with blade recommendations for my Wolf WR2 1.15 SB. If you could help me with posting blades you find works well with your Wolfs. Thank You. I need to try some different blades, the blades I have are blades that work well with my Merkur Progress. I don't want to try every blade out there, I would really appreciate if you all could post your blades, and I will try them all.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Need som help with blade recommendations for my Wolf WR2 1.15 SB. If you could help me with posting blades you find works well with your Wolfs. Thank You. I need to try some different blades, the blades I have are blades that work well with my Merkur Progress. I don't want to try every blade out there, I would really appreciate if you all could post your blades, and I will try them all.
Perma Sharp in the gold box. Best I’ve found for the Wolfmans.

Not every but you might have to just try a bunch :)

I went through a lot of blades to find what worked with the .95 and bought a 1.15 and figured they would be the same and they are
for me my top two I would say are Nacet followed by 7 O’Clock green and permasharp

while I loved Platinum blades in my Timeless I am seeming to like stainless in my wolf ?
That said persona blue label have been good

The soap also made a difference in those blades with that razor as did the brush :) to me bottom line just have to try a bunch and then come back around after you narrow down and then narrow down again or hope you get lucky sooner :)
all those 3 are great but SV soap makes the Nacet and green 7 better than the others in post comfort

best of luck finding the blade you like in it my woflman 1.15 is my fav razor yet

My favorite blade in my WR2 1.15 is the discontinued Personna Platinum Chrome made in Israel, AKA the Israeli Red. Smoothest blade I have ever shaved with. I think Razor Blades Club is about the only vendor who still has some stock of them. I will be trying a Gillette Silver Blue in my Wolfman soon. I suspect it might become a favorite in that razor as well.

Top Bottom