What's new

WOLFMAN Razor - Waiting List

You make a good point. Leaves me wondering if, in 200 years, James will be forgotten like the rest of us or if his razors and fame will live on, a sort of modern Stradivarius -- his razors by then selling for obscene sums.

Stradivarius cranked out 1100 instruments. There’s some that think he farmed out much of this work.

It looks to my limited experience that what’s living on is the 3 piece razor. Not many innovations, just variations.

I’ve been around boutique guitar builders for a long time. It migh surprise some that the goal is not to produce more guitars.

This. A luthier acquaintance of mine doesn't take on apprentices to help him so much as to pass on the trade to a deserving few. At least, that's how it seems. The wait times, coupled with the prices, make getting a Wolfman in your hands seem like a piece of cake.

If it helps, I wasn't impressed by my Wolfman. It would probably be worth getting one as an investment. But as a tool, there are many other brands of razors that are as good or better and in stock for way less money.
Put a Feather in it. Then it is up to par with any other. For me anyway.

You make a good point. Leaves me wondering if, in 200 years, James will be forgotten like the rest of us or if his razors and fame will live on, a sort of modern Stradivarius -- his razors by then selling for obscene sums.

Thankfully artisans aren't forgotten as long as someone values a piece of their work. Here's a joint creation that should keep the Wolfman and Carter names alive long after we are gone:
Carterized Wolfman 4.JPG
Carterized Wolfman 2.JPG
Carterized Wolfman 7.JPG

Thank you for your reply... What it sounds like is someone needs to teach this guy about customer service and how to run a business. I am happy and will stick with my Timeless Razor

I am sure that this is not his only means of income and is only a sideline. As well, don't get worked up over something that shaves like a $40 Merkur.

I am sure that this is not his only means of income and is only a sideline. As well, don't get worked up over something that shaves like a $40 Merkur.
I think it shaves much better than that. Depends on which gap you ask for. However the best feeling shave I get is from a Supreme. So each to his own.

Besides . . . one has to admit that, as an Outsider with no interest whatsoever, it does create an entire "Howard Hughes-like mystique" around the whole situation.

Here is this guy, located in the frozen wasteland of northern Alberta (okay Edmonton, which is almost the same thing), rolling out of bed, slipping into a ratty housecoat, and giant, fuzzy slippers with bear claws for toes, as he shuffles over to the coffeemaker. He throws the coffee into a travel mug, hops into a decrepit 1978 Ford F-150 and rumbles down the road to a seedy industrial unit. Inside are gleaming tools of the trade, completely at odds with the shambolic exterior, and a work bench lit only by a single glaring lamp, where dozens of razors sit in varying states of completion. A TRS - 80 computer upgraded to run Windows 95 sits off in one corner, it's cursor blinking silently in the upper left corner of the screen. "Okay", wheezes our hero as he lights up a dart, "lets knock off a few more today."

:lol1: I love everything about this post - I hope you write for a living :lol1:

I’ve been around boutique guitar builders for a long time. It migh surprise some that the goal is not to produce more guitars.

Hear hear!
I make custom fishing rods for fun and I'll never turn it into a living. Too much work lol.

Wolfman razors are a real pain to get and I doubt I'll have to patience to wait for one but to those who really love his razors they are pretty unique!

Hi HDSledge,

That razor and engraving really might be the single most amazing piece of shave gear I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing, and enjoy!

Best,
John

Reading some posts here and there Ive come to understand that Wolfman is very attentive to customers
once they have an order logged with him. I am guessing that emails that are titled 'Can I order a Wolfman please?'
don't get opened, much less answered.

I quite like his pared back approach to production. I think anyone who really puts their minds to acquiring one
should succeed one way or another.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply... What it sounds like is someone needs to teach this guy about customer service and how to run a business. I am happy and will stick with my Timeless Razor
Absolutely! I have said that for a long time. Has very poor business administration knowledge, and poor customer relations skills as well. I am happy I got to buy a WR1 a few months ago (not directly from him), but I sold it within a month, since I didn't like it. Timeless 95 is around 10X better (much much smoother and closer shave)

If it helps, I wasn't impressed by my Wolfman. It would probably be worth getting one as an investment. But as a tool, there are many other brands of razors that are as good or better and in stock for way less money.
I'm sure I wouldn't be impressed by many of the Wolfmen, but the WR1 .94 SB (which happens to be the only one I've tried) was perfectly dialed into my preferences and blew my socks off.

The Wolfman WR2 is about as perfect of a razor as I've experienced and I've tried most of what's out there. I like it a good deal better than his WR1 razors that I own.

You have to catch his site while it's open during one of the completely random three to five minute windows that it opens for every few weeks. He opens it to take orders, completes those orders, sends them out and when he needs some more orders he opens it again for another short window. When he's managed to get ahead on stock, he's opened it twice in two days and at other times not for several months.

Despite the conspiracy theories he tries to keep it fair and completely random and would prefer that people that don't have his razors are able to get them as opposed to someone buying their fifteenth. He has banned people from buying from him for repeatedly flipping his razors for profit on the auction site. If you manage to purchase a razor he will respond to any questions you may have and provide you with excellent customer service. I wouldn't expect a response from a random email you might send.

If you spend a lot of time refreshing the page you might get lucky. But know that it's really hard to catch a five minute random window. Placing a WTB add on the BST or visiting the popular auction site can offer you a less frustrating solution at a much higher price.

That should be in a museum. Absolutely stunning.
True, and at the same time it makes me laugh. I think of the Torah story of how the ancient Hebrews, having escaped Egypt, are wandering in the desert. Now free people for the first time in many generations, they're discovering the blessings of this world. Every day a flock of birds circles and essentially falls at their feet. Then their leader, Moses, gets the command to go to Mount Sinai where he will be invited to commune directly with God. They walk there. Mosen climbs the mountain. The people are waiting in great expectation and Moses doesn't return right away. Within just a few days of his being gone, they begin to get distracted and by the time he returns they've made a giant golden calf to worship. And Moses is like "I can't leave you people alone for even a moment without your getting distracted by some new bobble, some useless shiny thing." I'm paraphrasing of course. The story doesn't include his exact words.

In the Muslim faith, they say la illaha illa'llah, which means there is no god but God. In other words, we're attracted to shiny things because our hearts are drawn to the divine. But the only true divinity is beyond this outer world. One must go deep within to find it. It's also where the words Allah huakbar! come from. It essentially means God is greater. Anything you can think of or create -- God is greater.

The deeper notion is that our souls are drawn to God. We don't realize that's what's driving us, but that desire to be with God is at the core of our being. Since God is veiled in this world, we have a natural tendency to project God onto other things. Sometimes onto people. Leaders or romantic interests. Sometimes ideas. Sometimes physical things.

Pretty razors are nice. We just need to be careful about perfectionism. Then we wind up with silly notions like buying a razor, which is essentially a tool, and putting it on display or, worse, in a drawer, to just sit. There are ancient myths of dragons in lairs guarding piles of gold and harems of virgins. The dragon can of course do nothing with the gold or the virgins, and we're supposed to look out for those dragon aspects ourselves within.

I have a beautiful CGL3 SB. I love it! It's shiny copper and so pretty. The other day I noticed a tiny imperfection in the finish on the cap and my first impulse was sadness. But then I thought of this group of ancient Chinese artisans who made beautiful pottery. It got so perfect they began putting a small crack on the bottom of each object. They did this because the felt that nothing in this world should be perfect because that is the exclusive domain of the divine. We have to be careful about seeking out such perfection in this world because it can lead to a dark place. A place where hearts close and we lose our humanity and our connection to one another. We lose our values and deepest sense of self. Materialism is a disease, as it separates us from each other and the truth of our hearts (which is connection to our brothers and sisters).

Top Bottom