What's new

Winter time is here (or) coming.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Winter. Yep, it's here.

7e6208081b8a4e6d0fb8cde1ab15f4d844492e1c.jpg

I cooked a stew last week but I didnt take a picture. I was going too, even picked my camera up and then thought "Ehhh, no one would be interested". Shame I didnt see this thread sooner lol.

1lb Round steak, cubed.
1lb ground beef.
1/4 cup water.
2 Spanish onions, chopped.
6 tbls each; sea salt, black pepper, garlic, parsley, rosemary.

Dutch Oven hot, a dash of oil and in it all goes, water last. Seared on high, stirring and breaking it up until nicely browned and sticking to the bottom with the water boiled off.

6 large Carrots, chopped.
8 large potatoes, roughly chopped.
4 large Parsnips, chopped.
1 large turnip, roughly chopped up.
1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce.

That made a full 6qts. I let it boil on low for about 6 hours then add 1 tbls flour and let it boil another hour then season to taste, if necessary.

I would have added Bay leaves but I was out. I'd been planning on making a stew for 2 or 3 weeks but I couldnt find a turnip!

image.jpg

As it turns out, the market went bad for them this year and a farmer friend of a friend plowed his under because by the time he trimmed, washed, waxed and shipped them they would have cost him money.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Winter. Yep, it's here.

View attachment 1190177

I cooked a stew last week but I didnt take a picture. I was going too, even picked my camera up and then thought "Ehhh, no one would be interested". Shame I didnt see this thread sooner lol.

1lb Round steak, cubed.
1lb ground beef.
1/4 cup water.
2 Spanish onions, chopped.
6 tbls each; sea salt, black pepper, garlic, parsley, rosemary.

Dutch Oven hot, a dash of oil and in it all goes, water last. Seared on high, stirring and breaking it up until nicely browned and sticking to the bottom with the water boiled off.

6 large Carrots, chopped.
8 large potatoes, roughly chopped.
4 large Parsnips, chopped.
1 large turnip, roughly chopped up.
1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce.

That made a full 6qts. I let it boil on low for about 6 hours then add 1 tbls flour and let it boil another hour then season to taste, if necessary.

I would have added Bay leaves but I was out. I'd been planning on making a stew for 2 or 3 weeks but I couldnt find a turnip!

View attachment 1190180

As it turns out, the market went bad for them this year and a farmer friend of a friend plowed his under because by the time he trimmed, washed, waxed and shipped them they would have cost him money.
I'm interested.

When it's cold: Momma’s Beer Chili!

I found the basics of this recipe in a crockpot cookbook and tweaked it to perfection:

add the following to crockpot and stir well
1 cup Miller Lite
Splash Johnny Walker Red Scotch
28 oz canned Crushed Tomatoes
15 oz canned Kidney Beans
5 oz canned Diced Mild Green Chiles
1/3 cup Honey
3 TBSP Chili Powder
2 TBSP Flour
1 TBSP Chipotle Hot Sauce
1 tsp Mesquite Liquid Smoke
1 tsp Kosher Salt
3 tsp Minced Garlic from jar
3 tsp Better than Bouillon (or cubes)
12 oz Frozen Sweet Corn

Brown over low/medium heat until no pink remains, drain and discard the liquid fat, add meat to crockpot
1.6 pounds Ground Chuck (my local butcher sells the meat in 3.2 LB portions, I use exactly half)

Cook over low/medium heat until translucent, add to crockpot, mix it all up real good!
splash olive oil
1 large Sweet Onion diced

Set crockpot to LOW, cook for 6 HOURS. Eat with a huge grin on your face.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
8qts stock from 3-4lbs left over hickory smoked, maple glazed ham and bones.

IMG_3374.JPG

Boiled for 2 1/2 hours with garlic and black pepper corns then strained and into the 6qt Dutch Oven.

IMG_3375.JPG

Theres maybe 1 1/2lb's pulled ham in there with two large carrots and 3 medium Yellow onions. Seasoned to taste with salt, garlic, Rosemary and parsley.

I'll let it simmer for 2-3 hours.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
0OOE8l.gif

IMG_3376.JPG

IMG_3377.JPG

This is the first time I've made bean soup. I've impressed myself with the flavours. Its deep, rich, sweet and savory. I should have saved some of the left over stock but another ham will be on the menu in the next couple weeks anyway.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Braising some Brussel sprouts in stock and balsamic.
Mincec a shallot and sweated it in olive oil. Browned some floured chicken thighs, doused them in leftover rose, tossed in a leftover 3/4 of a tomato, diced. A handful of green olive slices and some capers. Sort of a puttanesca. Topped with creme fraiche left from topping pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving. Spooned the pan sauce over the creme fraiche.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
View attachment 1193057

View attachment 1193058

View attachment 1193059

This is the first time I've made bean soup. I've impressed myself with the flavours. Its deep, rich, sweet and savory. I should have saved some of the left over stock but another ham will be on the menu in the next couple weeks anyway.
View attachment 1193057

View attachment 1193058

View attachment 1193059

Mike, that looks wondeful...your hired.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Can't wait to see all those recipes you guys are going to make for cold or colder weather. Soups, stews and chili. Post your recipe here and show us pictures.

...I'm working a on "sopa de frijoles con chili con carne."
Can you say that last sentence in mixed company?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yes...just trying to p.i.s.s. off the yanks.
Well, I tried my best to do that on FakeBook tonight. It was like working out in my Lazyarseboy! I ALMOST even sweated. I swear, some people don't even know about branches of government! I think about 32% of my friends thought they were voting for a King!

Top Bottom