What's new

Winter time is here (or) coming.

In the interest of laziness.

@FarmerTan My War Department vetoed the chowder. She has plans for stew. She also mumbled something about air pollution.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Given the dearth of good luck we have had in 2020, I hope everyone will get a bag of black eyed peas and make a batch for New Year's Day. It might be a good idea to make a practice pot!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Given the dearth of good luck we have had in 2020, I hope everyone will get a bag of black eyed peas and make a batch for New Year's Day. It might be a good idea to make a practice pot!

We have a whole bucket of Black-Eyed Peas out in the root cellar. You're right, time for a pot of good luck!

"Ham hocks and turnip greens
Cornbread and butter beans
Mardi Gras down in New Orleans
That's what I like about the South..."

I was lookin' for a dinner idea, so OF COURSE I went to a shaving forum!

Ham Hocks and Black-Eyed Peas
Greens
Cornbread with Onion and Jalapeno
Sweet Potato with Orange Zest

an' a Pecan Pie for dessert.

Ta lads, off to the kitchen...

O.H.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Oh...I forgot the mandatory pic. of the finished product. Sorry about that, Chief.

From a different cook, and it has that stupid Photobucket watermark on it. I quit using them when they tried to hold all the pics. stored there hostage for a $500 a year membership. I just save to the pictures file and transfer them to external hard drive when there gets to be too many.

View attachment 1190175
I love you Mike...lol

I posted it in another thread, but here it is. Pretty simple....

It’s kinda like this....

Stewing beef (chuck or similar)
white potatoes
carrots
celery
frozen peaches and cream corn
onion or shallots
flour
beef broth
ketchup
Worcestershire sauce
vegetable oil
tomato paste
Guinness (in cans, not the bubbly bottled crap)
rosemary
salt and pepper

- Lightly coat (dust) bite sized pieces of beef in flour and brown in a frying pan in a few tablespoons of oil until the outside is browned a bit. You will need to do multiple batches. Throw in a big pot as they brown.
- Add to the pot: a tall can of Guinness, a cup or so of beef broth (not that low sodium crap and you can also use chicken broth), a small can of tomato paste, a tablespoon or two of finely chopped rosemary, coarse cut onion or finely chopped shallots, a few good dashes of Worcestershire and a teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Simmer covered on low heat for a half hour or so. Stir frequently.
- Add in small chunks of potato, carrots and celery. You can add turnip or parsnip as well (I don’t as the kids are picky and seemingly didn't take to my Irish genes). Cook covered on low for another hour. Stir regularly.
- Taste broth and check consistency. Might need another can of Guinness, definitely more broth and likely a few squirts of ketchup for a bit of sweetness. Salt, pepper and Worcestershire to taste.
- Add frozen corn and simmer for 30-60 minutes on low.

That’s about it. Hard recipe to screw up and takes about 3 hours. The secret is dredging the beef and lightly browning it. 👍

A baked phyllo puff can be added on top if you are feeling fancy.

Full Disclosure: This is a b@$tardized version of Jamie Oliver’s Guinness Stew recipe. Ours is better, but his is on the internet somewhere and is likely easier to follow!

We also freeze it in big ziplock bags. It freezes great.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The stew is ready...

1lb lean ground beef
1lb round steak, cubed
2 medium Spanish onions
1 turnip (rutabaga)
9 small/medium white taters
5 parsnips
4 large carrots
A healthy dose of each; oil, garlic, black pepper, paprika, sea salt, parsley, rosemary and, 6 hours later...

IMG_3403.JPG

Its good, and rich.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've had a couple of orders of veg from a restaurant supplier who is doing what they can to survive by selling to individuals. They, so far, have supplied just wonderful stuff . . . in daunting quantities for a very reasonable cost. So in February . . . I'm blanching and freezing fresh veg and herbs.

Today I tackled a buttercup squash. Here are pictures of the roasted squash, mess in place, and finished product. This was made with a quart of homemade chicken stock I made a couple of weeks back. I've made a thick base . . . 2 quarts which I'll dilute down and season further when I use it. Until then . . . it will be in the freezer.

Buttercup soup (2 of 3).jpg
Buttercup soup (1 of 3).jpg
Buttercup soup (3 of 3).jpg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
We did this the other day, a "mushroom Bolognese" from a Spruce Eats recipe on some home made rigatoni.

20210210_175603.jpg

Excellent for cold weather. It was even better the next day on some home made fettuccine.

I encourage trying this one out. If you do, though, you need to make a few adjustments. First, up the garlic (one clove? Get real). Second, fry the veggies much longer than the suggested 15 minutes (30 minutes is closer to what you'll want). Third, you'll probably need to simmer longer than the suggested 5 minutes after adding the wine in order to cook out the raw flavor of the wine. Finally, be sure to reserve some pasta water to loosen up the sauce. All that is typical stuff to do with a ragout, but it's worth mentioning.

In addition to being a pasta sauce, I can see this stuff working great as a filling for ravioli, puff pastry, quiche or other savory tart, or any number of other things.

Top Bottom