What's new

Winter time is here (or) coming.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Can't wait to see all those recipes you guys are going to make for cold or colder weather. Soups, stews and chili. Post your recipe here and show us pictures.

...I'm working a on "sopa de frijoles con chili con carne."

I'm including two of my faves. I cheated a bit by copying this from the Tulsa World Newpaper website. I didn't want to have to type it in from my recipe cards.

Tulsa Public Schools Brown Bean Chowder
Makes 12 servings
1 pound (or 2 1/2 cups) pinto beans

1/2 tablespoon chili powder

1 tablespoon salt
1 pound ground beef, coarse ground
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 medium onion, chopped

1 2/3 cups tomato puree
1 teaspoon garlic
1 cup bread crumbs
Cook beans in 3 quarts of water, or more, depending upon dryness of beans. When beans are nearly done, add 1 tablespoon chili powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.

While beans are cooking, combine meat, onions and garlic and brown in skillet until done. Add puree, 1 tablespoon chili powder, salt and bread crumbs and simmer 15 minutes. Combine meat mixture and beans. May have to add more water for desired thickness or more chili powder for desired seasoning.

Tulsa Public Schools Cinnamon Rolls
Makes 12 servings

1 ounce yeast
1 1/4 cups water

1/4 cup shortening

1 egg
2 1/2 tablespoons powdered milk
4 to 4 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt

Cinnamon Mix:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon

Powdered sugar glaze:
1/2 box powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted

Water or milk
Dissolve yeast and sugar in lukewarm water. Add melted shortening and beaten egg. Add flour, powdered milk and salt and mix thoroughly. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled. Work down and roll to 1/4-inch thickness. Brush with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon mix and roll up lengthwise. Cut into 12 2 1/2-inch rolls. Place on greased tray and let rise until doubled. Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Brush with powdered sugar glaze.

To make glaze, combine powdered sugar, melted butter and enough water or milk to make it a spreading consistency.

Also sending in these two recipes were Debbie Barker, Glenna Shoun, Margaret Bowen, Mrs. Robert Reed, the Tulsa World's own Stefanie Forney, a reader who just signed her e-mail "Jan," and Donna Livengood.

Marian Stepp, who once worked as a cook in the school system, sent in "the" bean chowder recipe, but it's probably not as practical for home cooks as the one above. It calls for 5 pounds of beans and 5 pounds of ground beef. But it's interesting to note that some cafeterias used a flour-water mixture instead of bread crumbs to thicken the chowder, according to Stepp. Her recipe lists both alternatives.

I came looking to post something similar. Current conditions has me doing more of the cooking than typical, and with better weather that meant grilling. Now that the chill is in the air, I'm less inclined to stand outside and need some kid-friendly/easy recipes to rotate in. Hope something comes up here.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Cold weather cries out for braised short ribs or cassoulet for me. Come on, cold weather!

Instapot beef stew , or chicken soup and throw in cooked noodles/rice etc after its done.

Make at home from pizza dough is good(tonight), warms up the kitchen and can put whatever toppings everyone likes

Picked up some ham on sale. Cut out the bone and sliced most of it on the slicer for sandwiches. Tossed the bone in a ECI pot and set it to a low boil. The next day I tossed in a saute diced onion, garlic and a then discovered I had no beans... oh well I should skip the carbs... so I tossed in carrots, and a potato. Once that cooked a bit we did a taste test and adjusted seasoning. About an hour before dinner we put in 1/2 a chopped cabbage. Made for a nice hearty soup.

[edit]: remove bone before serving 🤔

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Can't wait to see all those recipes you guys are going to make for cold or colder weather. Soups, stews and chili. Post your recipe here and show us pictures.

...I'm working a on "sopa de frijoles con chili con carne."

Highs in the 60’s next week Aaron......winter? :lol:

Given our reliance on the air con, the calendar makes little difference to the menu here(!) There are no seasons, although certain holidays will influence it so we are seeing frozen turkey in the supermarkets.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1606347673837.png

Just made a beef stew. Fought off the chill of the 66 degree high In our area. LOL seriously though, I love some soups and stews when the weather turns chilly. bean and cornbread, good ole potato soup. Chicken or oxtail. also Jook AKA congee or rice porridge. Split pea and ham. The list goes on and on.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Just made a beef stew. Fought off the chill of the 66 degree high In our area. LOL seriously though, I love some soups and stews when the weather turns chilly. bean and cornbread, good ole potato soup. Chicken or oxtail. also Jook AKA congee or rice porridge. Split pea and ham. The list goes on and on.
Oh that split pea ham thang sounds really good.

For me, a simple chicken soup with no noodles is perfect. I make a big batch and sip on the broth all day. Covid 19 has no chance.

We’ve already polished off a round of homemade beef stew and a round of homemade chili. We will also make several rounds of chicken noodle soup.

Last night the weather man on TV said the El Niña or was it El Niño in the Pacific was going to make for a mild winter. I have mixed feelings about that. Cold will kill off some of the no see ums, but cold weather makes my back hurt and my arthritis bark. I’m going next week for lumbar epidural steroid injections to see if that will lessen the back pain.

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
When nose-drippin' weather returns I always make time for a big pot of roasted vegetables. Potato, carrot, parsnip, beet, turnip, onion, garlic, etc. -- liberally doused with olive oil, anointed with balsamic, some sprigs of fresh rosemary. Roast at 400 until they're all done.

That can be dinner. Don't need anything else. Well...some bread to sop up the juice.

O.H.

When nose-drippin' weather returns I always make time for a big pot of roasted vegetables. Potato, carrot, parsnip, beet, turnip, onion, garlic, etc. -- liberally doused with olive oil, anointed with balsamic, some sprigs of fresh rosemary. Roast at 400 until they're all done.

That can be dinner. Don't need anything else. Well...some bread to sop up the juice.

O.H.

I had something similar a couple days ago. Roasted cauliflower, parsnips, carrots, sweet potatoes, & onions until done (coated in oil and seasoned first) then blended them all together in a food processor along with some green onion.

Then put that thick glop into a large saucepan and stirred in stock until it was the consistency I like and let it heat back up. The blended veggies will hold a lot of liquid before it truly becomes soupy. You’ll need a pot that could hold at least 4x the quantity of blended veggies you started with because it will more than double in volume when you add the liquid. I started with 1 loaded sheet pan of veggies plus a couple cups of leftover ones from thanksgiving, and it took 3 quarts of stock to get it to flip from oatmeal consistency to soup consistency.

Once I get it where I like it and it’s hot, I cut the heat and stirred in about half a stick of butter cut into cubes to get it a little creamier.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Just made a big pot of white northern beans. Sweated minced onion, celery, and carrot in olive oil, added a little diced ham. Added the soaked beans and water and cooked a long time. Added a can of peeled whole tomatoes, crushing each tomato satisfyingly in my hand, a good bit of oregano and black pepper, some red pepper flakes, and some white wine. Salted it. Browned Italian sweet sausage with fennel, cut it up and tossed it in.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
This is good, especially if cooked outside with coals.

Courtesy of World Championship Dutch Oven Cookbook:

1 lb. stew meat
2 medium onions
Potatoes
Carrots
3 beef bouillon cubes (I usually use 2, or 3)
Browning sauce (Kitchen Bouquet)
3 cans cream of mushroom soup (mostly I use just 2 in my 10" oven)
1/4 cup sugar (I don't use that cuz we don't like it real sweet...YMMV)

Heat a 1/4 inch oil in your 12" Dutch oven. Brown stew meat and onions, then drain off the oil. Add potatoes, carrots and any other veggies you wish. Put in two or three beef bouillon cubes and two or three cans of cream of mushroom soup plus enough water to cover the veggies. Don't add any salt, but you can add any other seasonings you like. A little Kitchen Bouquet will make the gravy as brown as you like. Add 1/4 cup sugar to give your stew a unique flavor. You can cook this over a hot fire if you wish, but simmer until the veggies are cooked, stirring occasionally.

1607018376506.png

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh...I forgot the mandatory pic. of the finished product. Sorry about that, Chief.

From a different cook, and it has that stupid Photobucket watermark on it. I quit using them when they tried to hold all the pics. stored there hostage for a $500 a year membership. I just save to the pictures file and transfer them to external hard drive when there gets to be too many.

1607038230771.png

Top Bottom