What's new

Why SE won the battle but lost the war to DE

I don't get the "SE blades are too expensive" argument at all.

I don't have a thin, wispy beard. I wore a full beard/moustache off and on for 20 years; it's not like wire, but it's voluminous and tough.

After grinding my way through the "what DE blade is right for me" quest, I stopped on the medical Personna (blue wrapper). It was hands down the best DE blade I'd tried; in my Senator it gives me a great shave. I consistently get 2.5 shaves per blade - I have to finish the 3rd one with my Schick injector that I keep for just that purpose.

I get medical Personna DE blades for $.40 apiece, not including shipping. I realize there are cheaper blades out there - they didn't, uh, cut it for me. No other DE blade could get through a second shave for me.

So the best DE blade I can find costs me $.16/shave, $.13 if I overlook the .5 shave that I have to salvage with my Schick. Both of these figures are artificially low since I haven't included the shipping cost, because unlike Gem blades you can't pick them up at your friendly neighborhood drug store.

I got my GEM medicals in the last group buy for $.1875 apiece shipped, but to keep the comparison fair I'll use the price that anyone in the US can get, and that's $.48 apiece SHIPPED from Personna.

I get 6 good shaves from a Gem blade. The first 4-5 are BBS. I could probably get more out of one, but I'm usually anxious to get back to BBS.

That's $.08/shave with a Gem SE vs. $.13/shave with DE. The DE shave is actually more expensive than that because I didn't include the shipping cost. The SE shave is much cheaper for me because of the deal I got in the group buy ($.1875/blade, $.03/shave)

Now I understand that some guys can use a cheapo DE blade like Astra (which I found to be awful but I know some guys like 'em) and thus their cost per shave will be lower, but I would suspect that anyone that can get 3 or 4 decent shaves out of a cheap DE blade could go for 8 or 10 shaves with a SE.

To recap:

Cost per shave with DE - $.13 (Shipping NOT included)
Cost per shave with SE - $.08 (Shipping INCLUDED)
Cost per shave with SE - $.03 (Group Buy pricing)

Plus my blade bank isn't filling up as fast. Plus I'm handling blades about half as often with SE as I do with DE. Plus I find SE shaving to be much more comfortable, with no irritation.

So 'splain to me again how SE shaving is more expensive???

As a DE shaver who's never tried an SE razor outside of an Injector (and I like Injectors) I'd say that the reason I've never had the itch to try one is based mostly on looks.

I'm sure it's a matter of different strokes for different folks, but most SE razors look like they came out of a display at the museum in the medical quackery section.

Now, before I get it with both barrels from the SE crowd (or would that be a single barrel?) I'll admit that I used to think that open comb Gillette razors were pretty much in the same boat, but they won me over on performance, and now I merely think of them as quaint, rather than instruments that some mad doctor would use to cure an imbalance of humors in the blood.

At this point I'm not interested in the SE razors because

• A lot of guys who'se opininons I regard highly around here like them
  • That leads me to believe I'd probably think they were great
  • I'm morally and mentally incapabble of stopping at just one or two razors
  • It would be another type of blade to have on hand
  • My wife just wouldn't understand.

As a DE shaver who's never tried an SE razor outside of an Injector (and I like Injectors) I'd say that the reason I've never had the itch to try one is based mostly on looks.

I'm sure it's a matter of different strokes for different folks, but most SE razors look like they came out of a display at the museum in the medical quackery section.

Now, before I get it with both barrels from the SE crowd (or would that be a single barrel?) I'll admit that I used to think that open comb Gillette razors were pretty much in the same boat, but they won me over on performance, and now I merely think of them as quaint, rather than instruments that some mad doctor would use to cure an imbalance of humors in the blood.

• That leads me to believe I'd probably think they were great
  • I'm morally and mentally incapabble of stopping at just one or two razors
  • It would be another type of blade to have on hand
  • My wife just wouldn't understand.

OK? I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at? :lol:

Remember SE's are the preferred razor and blade of Evil Geniuses For A Better Tomorrow. :thumbup:

P

Pjotr

1. That leads me to believe I'd probably think they were great
    2. I'm morally and mentally incapabble of stopping at just one or two razors
    3. It would be another type of blade to have on hand
    4. My wife just wouldn't understand.

• Sorry, but the only argument that has any validity is your last one. And that one is easily countered:
    • Blades are cheaper
    • Razors are cheaper
    • There are far less models to choose from and even the most ardent SE fan woud be satisfied with half a dozen or so.
    • Following on from above, there will therefore be more room in the bathroom

Your wife will just positively encourage your entry in to the SE world. It's just win/win.

OK? I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at? :lol:

Remember SE's are the preferred razor and blade of Evil Geniuses For A Better Tomorrow. :thumbup:

Oh, this is just the obligatory post I make so when I post the "WHOA, What took me so long to try a GEM?" thread, people can look at it and laugh at my lack of will power, snigger at my total disregard for sticking by what I've said and I can show it to the wife as proof that I tried to resist, but it was futile.

That's what I'm getting at....:blush:

Sorry, but the only argument that has any validity is your last one. And that one is easily countered:

• Blades are cheaper
  • Razors are cheaper
  • There are far less models to choose from and even the most ardent SE fan woud be satisfied with half a dozen or so.
  • Following on from above, there will therefore be more room in the bathroom

Your wife will just positively encourage your entry in to the SE world. It's just win/win.

Pjotr's logic is faultless.

Oh, this is just the obligatory post I make so when I post the "WHOA, What took me so long to try a GEM?" thread, people can look at it and laugh at my lack of will power, snigger at my total disregard for sticking by what I've said and I can show it to the wife as proof that I tried to resist, but it was futile.

That's what I'm getting at....:blush:

Buy her a nice clog pruf micromatic. :thumbup:

P

Pjotr

Oh, this is just the obligatory post I make so when I post the "WHOA, What took me so long to try a GEM?" thread........

You don't have to do that although the enthusiasm can get to you of course. I did it for a bit but have given up now. I resisted posting a thread on how amazing the Featherweight is or how incredible the Clog Pruf is. I'm just so used to grabbing an SE I've never touched before and getting an incredible shave out of it. You become complacent, a bit aloof and maybe a litle bit dismissive of DE too. But how much proof do you need that it pisses all over DE shaving (a bit of fanboyism is always good for a laugh). Your choices are simple; resist the temptation and keep looking for the illusive perfect DE shave with the perfect DE blade or............get the perfect shave with an SE. Just grab any old SE and one of the only blades you need or can get and there's a very good chance it'll be bingo within half a dozen shaves. It's just too easy. That's the problem maybe. People want to post and talk about their struggles with different razors and how this blade sucks and that blade is so,so. Maybe they're doing it to get a bit of sympathy from their partners:

"Oh, I understand darling, of course you must buy that Gillette Aristocrat. The ABC after all wasn't really that good of a shave was it. You go ahead and buy that one if it makes you feel happy".

+1 on the shave nerd or geek......

cost for me DE vs SE

DE: Feather WCS 100ct $45.00 shipped (remember to calculate cost of shipping into your total cost too!)

2-3 shaves per blade =14-20 cents

GEM SS from walgreens 10 ct $5.69 after tax (+no shipping cost inferred)

just finished my 6th shave on the same blade, (rounding up to 57 cents per)=9.5 cents per blade. (and it feels like I could easily get 7-8 shaves if pushed)

so DE 17 cents per blade, and SE 9.5 cents per blade, and maybe less for me.

Like I said this is MY cost per shave, with MY comfort level, I have NO idea what YOU do!:001_cool:

IMO the WW1 and 2 Military Contracts carried the day for Gillette. I use both and have several typed of both razors. :thumbup: I stocked up on a SE group buy about a year ago and I have bought SE Gem blues only on sale or close out at stores as I run around. Do what works for you! We are all differant when it comes to skin and beard toughness.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Hit the swap meet last friday and picked up two mint SE's a CPMM and OCMM and also a mint 40's style SuperSpeed.

Cleaned them up and used the clog pruf saturday, the open comb sunday and just got out of the shower with the superspeed a few minutes ago. And all three gave me absolutely awesome, fantastic shaves!

So in the war of SE & DE I'm just gonna stay neutral and enjoy both. :)

Yesterday I had shave #2 with the 1912 + Gem SS blade. Man, that combo is ... efficacious. Two passes, and done!

I'm not ready to give up DE shaving just yet -- but I don't rule it out, either.

There are just so many more fine DE blades available to choose from and so few SE and injector blades to choose from that that I choose to go with DE razors.

P

Pjotr

There are just so many more fine DE blades available to choose from and so few SE and injector blades to choose from that that I choose to go with DE razors.

As far as I'm concerned there is no need for more choice of SE blades.

single edge didnt "lose" anything. and as for the lack of blade choice argument that favors DE....... how many brands of tires are available for your car or truck? how any have you tried? do you even know what tires are on your car? point being this, what the masses do means nothing.

with that said, im doing a BST post in a few days, that will be specifically for gents that havent tried SE shaving yet. A user grade 1912 with blades for a very very low price, several available. And no, i wont trade you a 1912 for your aristocrat.

Yesterday I had shave #2 with the 1912 + Gem SS blade. Man, that combo is ... efficacious. Two passes, and done!

I'm not ready to give up DE shaving just yet -- but I don't rule it out, either.

I have been getting better and better shaves with the SE - two weeks with the 1912 Damaskeene and three days with the MMCP.

But I still am not getting a satisfactory shave with two passes. I'm still at three complete passes, with full-face touch ups that should probably count as a fourth pass.

And still not satisfied with the upper lip - am treading very lightly there, especially on the S - N up stroke. :w00t:

But make no mistake -- the SE is here to stay. :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Top Bottom