What's new

SE Curious — Razorock Hawk good first choice?

I'm getting interested in SEs and would value input from the B&B hivemind. I like Feather AC Shavettes, and I like the quality:dollar ratio that I get from Razorock stainless razors. That led me pretty quickly to checking out the Hawk.

Is the Hawk a good introduction to give me an idea of what the SE game is about? I'm looking for a razor that will allow me to judge SE shaving in general, but one that won't send me looking immediately for a higher-quality razor if I like the SE experience.

I have very coarse hair that emerges very low, nearly flat to the skin in some places. I'd say average sensitivity. I can do anything I want to most of my face without irritation, but frequently my lower neck will get bumps that last a few days if I shave it as close as I want. Multiple ATG passes on the mustache (darn those low-lying whiskers) will leave the area noticeably red for an hour, but then it's fine. Those neck bumps really get on my nerves.

In a DE, fewer passes with more aggressive razors seems to help — but not eliminate — the neck bumps. So I'm guessing I'd favor more aggressive SE as well, but maybe the hivemind will learn me better.

I have the Black Hawk v1 that wasn't on the market long before it was redesigned (rumor was the design was too similar to another razor named after an angry animal). I also have an ATT Calypso that I find much more comfortable, but you'd have to find one on the BST. I don't know if Blackland has announced which designs they'll resurrect.

Anyway, based on what's on the market right now, I'd say the Hawk v3 is a solid choice if you like the Feather blades. If you want a more aggressive shave, you could always try the ProSuper blades.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I have their Hawk V2 and V3OC.

I could shave my head from over an inch of hair with the V3OC with no clogging (and cut my head and got called “Charlie Brown,” so I never continued). I’m told the V3OC is the most “aggressive” plate, but haven’t tried the other two.

The V2 is lighter, but really needs a Feather Pro Super or Schick Proline to work for people who can’t hold angles well (me!).

I have the Hawk V3 with standard and "A" plates.

From your description, I think you will love the Hawk, probably with the "A" plate. I prefer a shorter lighter handle with mine; I use the haloed UFO.

I'd say start with a guarded blade first. I find I can go over those types of areas on my neck like you describe several times with a feather pro-guard blade with no problems.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Another recommendation for the 'A' plate here. It was my first SE razor as well. It shaves close and relatively irritation free 9/10 times, but the range of effective angles will likely be smaller than you're used to: I found that outside of having the top cap parallel to the skin, there's a very fine line between cutting smoothly and dragging. Mine pairs well with the barber pole handle.

In my case the Feather Professional Super blades worked more effectively with the Hawk V3 'A' than the Feather Professional. I have another SE in rotation now that I prefer more, but the Hawk will be sticking around for sure.

I have a V2 head on a heavier handle - the V3 should have more substance to it. It's a great razor (Feather Professional is my blade of choice).

It was my first SE (eleven and counting), so you could take that as a recommendation or as a cautionary tale...

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm getting interested in SEs and would value input from the B&B hivemind. I like Feather AC Shavettes, and I like the quality:dollar ratio that I get from Razorock stainless razors. That led me pretty quickly to checking out the Hawk.

Is the Hawk a good introduction to give me an idea of what the SE game is about? I'm looking for a razor that will allow me to judge SE shaving in general, but one that won't send me looking immediately for a higher-quality razor if I like the SE experience.

I have very coarse hair that emerges very low, nearly flat to the skin in some places. I'd say average sensitivity. I can do anything I want to most of my face without irritation, but frequently my lower neck will get bumps that last a few days if I shave it as close as I want. Multiple ATG passes on the mustache (darn those low-lying whiskers) will leave the area noticeably red for an hour, but then it's fine. Those neck bumps really get on my nerves.

In a DE, fewer passes with more aggressive razors seems to help — but not eliminate — the neck bumps. So I'm guessing I'd favor more aggressive SE as well, but maybe the hivemind will learn me better.
You may find this informative:

Thread 'Time To Do A SE Razor Shaving Comparison' Time To Do A SE Razor Shaving Comparison - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/time-to-do-a-se-razor-shaving-comparison.586057/

Hope this helps. :)

I have the V3 standard (is a good shaver) and the OC (a bit on the aggressive side for me).

You ever looked into Schick........there are some good ones there.....cheaper.....

I have either the V1 or V2 that came with a lot....never tried it.....

I see the Claymore is now available only in polished, which pushes the price way up. I wasn't sure about spending money on the machined, or whatever the basic one is called, so now it's a definite no. The Hawk becomes the only choice if I want to move on from the Romulus.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Is the Hawk a good introduction to give me an idea of what the SE game is about?

When the Hawk V3 came out in the early days of the pandemic it was billed as a milder AC razor for those looking to explore. I was, so I picked up parts for the V3SB and V3OC. Compared to my ATT SE1 and SE2 razors the Hawk was much more manageable for me. I found I liked the SB over the OC, which is unusual for me. The reason was that the only OC plate available with the Hawk was the "Jaws" plate which I found to be too few teeth for me. If they'd had a normal-spacing OC plate I would have liked it better.

In the end I sold off the OC and eventually did so with the SB, as I don't shave with AC format enough to keep a selection of blades on hand as I do with DE.

The AC format razor that I like the best is the ATT X1 tilted slant. I do wish, of course, that ATT had done well enough with it to bring out an X2 OC version, but the X1 is a good razor. The X1 is probably the mildest AC razor. As such it is quite smooth and courtesy of the laser-like cutting edge most AC blades have it does an ace job removing hair.

I have an amusing "problem" with the X1: An AC blade typically lasts me 9 or 10 headshaves in that thing and I tend to start getting bored with it after 6 shaves or two weeks of use. I want to change to some other razor and the thrifty Scot in me makes me hang in there until the blade's done. So for me it's an occasional luxury with a three-week commitment.

O.H.

I have all three V3 heads. I use the OC and the A more than the regular and use a Proline blade more than any other blade. I did pick up an Asylum RX V2 a few months ago and really like the shave I get with a Kai Pink blade. The Asylum is said to be a straight on a stick, one does have to use good form when using this razor. I am thinking about trying the Asylum injector, just have to save up for it.

@JimmyJoeMeeker if you’re trying out AC razors for the first time, you might even consider the V2 Hawk which is aluminum and cheaper than the SS V3 version. I don’t think it’s as aggressive, but it will be less sunk cost if you try it out and decide that AC razors just aren’t for you. Or even a cheap Yaqi Excalibur/Raster… it might also be worth “bullfrogging” when shaving your neck, sometimes a technique tweak/adjustment can make the shave better in certain areas.
Best of luck, hopefully you find an AC razor that you like because they really can give some great shaves 👍

I jumped on a Blackland Vector when it was on sale for Black Friday. I'm getting absurd shaves with it and no irritation at all every single day. I tried a feather super the first time I used the vector and it was an insane shave with no redness no irritation at all. I didn't have to shave for 2 days. Ive tried some Captain Kais and they're also amazing and much more tame blade. There is no reason at all to use DE blades. They all stink compared to these AC format blades. I'm selling all of my DE razors.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
I jumped on a Blackland Vector when it was on sale for Black Friday. I'm getting absurd shaves with it and no irritation at all every single day. I tried a feather super the first time I used the vector and it was an insane shave with no redness no irritation at all. I didn't have to shave for 2 days. Ive tried some Captain Kais and they're also amazing and much more tame blade. There is no reason at all to use DE blades. They all stink compared to these AC format blades. I'm selling all of my DE razors.

Another Black Fridayer for the Vector as well.

Ever since I got the Hawk and now Vector I might use a DE weekly at most.

Top Bottom