What's new

Why Join This Shaving Forum ?

Another one who ran across the forum doing a web search. I started with a DE razor and canned stuff as a teenager in the 50's. Followed Gillette off the cliff with whatever was new and improved and finally stopped buying new ones with the Excel. Recently retired and wanted to get away from pricey cartridges. Now I have collected a few razors a couple of brushes lots of mugs and a new appreciation for shaving. And a sort of hobby (habit??).:redface:
I have never joined a forum before this and was so impressed with the helpful and civil tone of this group that I could not resist.

Why am I here? In a word, Frustration. Since I started shaving, I've used electrics shavers. For the past 7 or so years, I've been using a Remington foil shaver, and was quite happy with it. A few months ago, I dropped and broke it. Since then, I've been searching for a replacement.

I've tried numerous disposables, and 3 different electrics, and none provide a satisfactory shave. Out of the blue, I received a Quattro blade in the mail as a free sample. It worked fairly well, so I picked up a bulk pack of them at my local big-box club. What I purchased, was nothing like the sample. I tried several from the pack and they all feel the same. They feel dull, and drag on the face. I'm currently sitting here with the worst case of razor burn ever.

So... now I'm looking for another alternative. The idea of a straight razor is a bit intimidating, so I'm looking for an economical safety razor (and any friendly advice) to try.

Welcome to the B&B.
I suggest you take a glance through the B/S/T thread. Always something interesting at a fair price and the members here are helpful.

Having lurked around the site a bit, and finding it quite useful, I joined specifically to contribute and to support such a fine site and the members devoted to helping others. It also seemed like it might be fun around here.

I joined recently, after a fair bit of lurking, because I wanted to contribute in some small way to this highly informative site which helped me practice wet shaving techniques.

To begin with, a friend had been lamenting the fact that his dad had never taught him to shave "properly" (his words) and his girlfriend was insisting he shave far too often for comfort. I'd picked up the basics from watching my dad when I was very small and I thought "Well, hey. I'm not his dad but I know the basics of wet shaving. I could teach him!"

It was one of those ideas that spring forth after a few drinks and I got pretty enthusiastic about it. I figured his tough manly beard would be less forgiving of poor technique so I browsed the web for some hints and tips. I bought a cheap brush and some cheap soap, and I practiced making lather! It was surprisingly fun, I really enjoyed myself.

By the time I got the hang of it I'd decided I needed a brush and soap of my own but first I bought my mate a cheap DE razor and a few different blades for him to try.

Once I explained that he'd have to take his time and be patient he decided he wanted nothing to do with proper shaving after all. Sad!

It all worked out great though!
I got to keep all the stuff for myself and his girlfriend very suddenly decided she quite liked beards actually and he didn't have to shave anymore after all. :thumbup:

I lurked here for a bit and learned a lot about how to handle the Fatboy when I got fed up with the price of Fusion carts. This seemed like a good community, so I decided to become a contributor and start posting.

I had limited myself to GFT and TH products and wanted to branch out. I did a Google search on some reviews for wet shaving products and discovered B&B. I read the reviews, read much of the forum, and discovered that there were other DE wet shavers as obsessed as me. Then I read some of the non-shaving forums and realized the breadth of this community and that's when I decided to join.

If a year ago I had heard about a Web forum dedicated to shaving, I would have laughed. Shaving?! You wake up, slop some goo over your puss, and drag your Mach III through the mess. Sure, shaving sucks, but that's why I make sure I'm done in 60 seconds. I get ingrown hairs all the time, but there's nothing you can do about it. Hey, did you hear about that five-blader they're coming out with soon? I wonder if that will take care of my ingrowns?

But last September, I read the infamous MSNBC wet shaving article and was intrigued. The next month I took an unexpected $100 work bonus and got a starter set from ClassicShaving.com. I began consulting the Web for tips on angles, lathering and how to take care of nicks. And then I practiced, practiced, practiced.

Once another modest sum of money fell into my lap, I thought I better research wet shaving products before purchasing anything. Searching for info on some weird stuff called "Coral Skin Food," I discovered B&B and began poking around. Not only did they have great info on GFT's Nectar of the Gods, I learned about T&H, Musgo Real, Proraso, colognes, Gillette adjustables and Superspeeds... I never knew there was so much shaving info available!

We all know that B&B is an amazing repository of detailed knowledge and experience. But I believe it plays a few other, more important roles.

As our foundation, B&B members teach other men a simple rite of passage -- how to shave. Fathers used to do this with their sons, but today's dads are lost in Gillette cartridge world with the rest of us. Not to mention the increasing number of guys without any involved father figure!

This role as a simple mentor leads into another purpose -- an all-too-rare gathering place for men (and some wonderful women) that isn't loutish, crude or ugly. I've participated in fora dedicated to politics, sports, music and other pursuits. Angry and boorish behavior is the rule rather than exception.

Fifty years ago, men would hang out at the Elks club or VFW for substantive socialization, but those have all but vanished. In a small way, B&B helps fill that gap.

I came to B&B for the shaving, but stayed for the fellowship.

Lovely writeup! Couldn't agree more.

I needed to buy more Fusion cartridges and once again was disgusted with the prices I was seeing. Before I went to Costco to buy a mega pack, I said "there must be a better way" so I started looking around the web. I came across the "Shave Like Your Grandfather" post on The Art of Manliness site and started looking into the world of DE. With too many choices, I stumbled upon B&B which helped make my choice a little easier. Then I discovered the great group of gents on here and decided to stick around.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I lurked around for a long time reading, searching, taking in all the knowledge. I purchased a Merkur 34C and gave up cartridges. I joined because I wanted to share my experience, contribute what knowledge I could and be a part of the site that really got me started in wet shaving.

I never had any experience with online forums until this one. I saw a lot of threads that I wanted to reply to so I thought...time to jump in on the action!

I bought an EJ at Amazon, along with some Proraso and a no-name badger brush. I never did like the multi-multi blade carts. I used an Atra but the prices kept going up and the Atra carts were harder to find, so I went on a fishing trip and caught me an EJDE87. I also caught a slight case of the ADs but didn't know it. Soon I had exhausted Amazon's information and went fishing some more, and hooked Badger & Blade. I was such a noob I didn't know nothing from anything but I hung around and read and read and started to post and found out this place was full of a bunch of really friendly folks who were also smart and willing to part with some of their knowledge. I had grown tired of Facebook and its negativists, defeatists, and obstructionists. So I have settled in at B&B and learn something new every day, and wow but shaving is fun and the fishing is easy.

I read about BB in an Amazon review for a Merkur razor. I joined to learn, then various acquisition disorders began, DE razors, DE blades, creams, soaps, brushes, aftershaves...hey wait a minute, this is a never ending ride!

Top Bottom