What's new

Why I won't be buying too expensive razors.

Also Baili. I have three different Baili razors and they are all excellent and cheap. I would have no problems using any one of them for the rest of my life.
I just ordered a Lord to replace the Wilkinson for the time being. Just over 6 euro shipped.

613d71898243a5b8e4ebdd843f20795a4421c421.jpg

For me, it’s all about the shave. If there’s a $20 razor that gives me a great shave as a daily driver, I’m using it. Right now, my go-to is an aluminum Overlander that I paid $65 for. I’m not sure I can get the same shave for a $20 razor but I’m willing to try!!

Agree with others that if your technique is solid and you have the right blade/software, the razor choice matters less.

I have a selection of quality razors of all sorts, but am currently traveling and getting great shaves from the cheapie kit pictured below. The razor was around $3 on Alixpress.

Do what works and makes you happy.

IMG_1136.jpeg

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
One of the reasons many of is purchase spendy razors is the customer service attached to the brand. I have no doubt that if I dropped one of my Timeless razors and it came out wounded (unlikely) that they would make it right with no questions asked.

This logic doesn't make sense to me. It's like not buying a nice car because you have been in an accident.

I haven't dropped a razor in 13y of wet shaving.

Don't drop your razors, problem solved.
Perhaps I should have chosen other words. Main reason for only using fairly cheap razors is that I don't have much interest in them to begin with. As long as a razor works properly, I'm pretty much satisfied.

Perhaps I should have chosen other words. Main reason for only using fairly cheap razors is that I don't have much interest in them to begin with. As long as a razor works properly, I'm pretty much satisfied.
That I can get behind.

I'm lucky in that my best performing and built razor, is a $50 RR Mamba 53 in Stainless Steel. I can change it up with $10 SS handles if I want. It's been my daily razor for years now and I have zero desire to spend hundreds on another razor and I have pretty much stopped experimenting.

The only razor I may look at in the future, is the Mamba 70. I'm undecided if I want to pursue it.

Well there are many fine Razors delivers good shave under 75 bucks.

But if money is not no I just go for what makes you happy.
Even my 1,50 Yuma delivers a good shave. It's not about money, if I wanted I could buy a fancy titanium razor that costs north of 300 euro. But I have no interest in such razors. Any razor that delivers a good shave, is good enough. Luckily many great shaving razors are also extremely cheap. And if it breaks, it gets replaced. That's the great thing about cheap razors.

Even my 1,50 Yuma delivers a good shave. It's not about money, if I wanted I could buy a fancy titanium razor that costs north of 300 euro. But I have no interest in such razors. Any razor that delivers a good shave, is good enough. Luckily many great shaving razors are also extremely cheap. And if it breaks, it gets replaced. That's the great thing about cheap razors.
I honestly doubt any of my stainless or titanium razors would break under normal conditions. I've dropped some of them in the shower, the floor, etc. And there isn't even a dent. Maybe the threads could snap but even then probably not, it's still a stainless thread...

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I honestly doubt any of my stainless or titanium razors would break under normal conditions. I've dropped some of them in the shower, the floor, etc. And there isn't even a dent. Maybe the threads could snap but even then probably not, it's still a stainless thread...
I don't know why I got out of the Vintage Gillette razor rabbit hole early on..... I guess I found another one. <eg>

I just ordered a Lord to replace the Wilkinson for the time being. Just over 6 euro shipped.

View attachment 1800968
Let us know how it works for you. I ordered one a year or so ago and found it way too aggressive. Almost like what I suspect a straight razor would be like. Also others have reported that the handle threads can be easily stripped if twisted on too tightly. Handle is made of aluminum vs different chromed metal for the head.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Let us know how it works for you. I ordered one a year or so ago and found it way too aggressive. Almost like what I suspect a straight razor would be like. Also others have reported that the handle threads can be easily stripped if twisted on too tightly. Handle is made of aluminum vs different chromed metal for the head.
I've been considering a Lord 6 and switching out the handle to a DScosmetic titanium Destroyer I have sitting around... or the thinner Yaqi Darwin copy... I should know the name but it escapes me at the moment...I looked it up... the male dancer razor handle: the Chippendale. <eg> I think the balance might be nicer than the aluminum handle but I'd have to try it to see. It might be a nice to have a very inexpensive travel razor.... I have a couple pretty expensive ones with me now on this 3 week trip to Bali.

Top Bottom