What's new

Why I won't be buying too expensive razors.

This. By far my favourite razor, the Wilkinson/Weishi TTO. I accidently dropped it on the bathroom floor after last night's shave 😭. Tried to fix it but to no avail. I'm glad it was only 10 euro shipped or so. So no big loss. This was another reminder for me at least, that I shouldn't invest too much in razors.

IMG_20240222_215034268.jpg

As long as that razor works fine for you it's totally OK.
So if you like it, buy it again.
Spending more money doesn't mean better shaves. The truth is that there is only the fact that a razor works well for YOU or not. More expensive razors could mean nicer materials, better finish and so on.
For me the Rockwell 6s and the inexpensive Germany made Giesen und Forsthoff Timor CC work best. But remembered, your face, your rules.
Enjoy your next razor.

In general, a stainless steel razor is very hard to break, because the only weak points that it has are the thread and if it's an open comb razor, the teeth of some of the models does look a bit fragile. Other than that, you have to try really hard to damage it. Most inexpensive razors won't survive a single drop on a hard floor and that's hardly a surprise.

There's an old saying - ''If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it''. Besides, the point of buying a razor was never to impress someone, but yourself. I really have no problem or concerns if I drop any of my stainless steel or titanium razors. Sure, they might get scratched or even get a small dings here and there, but I doubt that they would break that easily.

I really have no problem or concerns if I drop any of my stainless steel or titanium razors.

My concern with stainless isn't about the razor, but whatever they fall onto.

I've seen a few posts in the last month in multiple forums about people dropping razors and I increasingly feel myself pulled to lighter razors because I just don't want to deal with refinishing a bathroom floor, vanity top, or sink because I dropped a razor. It seems like anything more than 70g is outside my comfort zone. It's not necessarily rational, as I don't usually worry about dropping my cast iron or 5-ply stainless cookware on the floor, but it is what it is.

It's a weird feeling because I find myself getting pulled toward in two opposite directions: toward less expensive razors made from plastic or aluminum, or more expensive razors made from titanium.

The only razor I've broken (so far) has been, thankfully, a Star 100 which was easily replaced for a pittance. A GREAT razor that tends to fly under the radar. I do have some expensive razors and haven't broken them yet. However, I have broken a car and that has cost more than any razor I own.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Our hobby is a bit odd. I’ve only been at for two years now. My only regret? Getting such a late start. Still, it’s fun to have something new to enjoy in my latter years. I don’t buy shaving gear to impress anyone but myself, but I do enjoy telling someone their advice has been excellent and I’m happy with the shaves I’m getting.

@blade08 there is no reason to spend much more if you are primarily focused quality shaves. My Weishi 9306 long handle delivers excellent shaves. Additionally I use a milder King C. Gillette and Razorock Adjust (rebranded Baili) that uses the same style adjustment mechanism as that found in the classic Gillette adjustables. All acquired for under $15 U.S.

Fully understand that many here are willing to pay more for features that go beyond just shave quality such as razor design, precision engineering and materials. Also there is the camaraderie from being part of the group that use these higher end razors.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Sadly, I find myself more and more drawn to brass - the worst of both worlds, soft and heavy - break the razor, crack the tile....
I'll soon have two brass razors... and 4 bronze ones.... I had to look. I love the look of both the brass and the bronze, though I have to admit, I keep mine polished... not with the patina. I don't know if the patina would affect the glide of the razor head, but in my imagination, it would. <eg>

I did buy a La Faulx Classic razor head in stainless steel for travel and will be enjoying it in just few days when I shave for the first time in Bali on this current trip. I've used it 4 or 5 times now, with the Ti Crown handle. What a lovely combination.

Nothing wrong with buying expensive razors if that's what you want and can afford. It's a hobby. It brings you joy. You don't have to justify it with a business case.

That said... my cheapest razor can be found for $5 or so and if I had to only shave with it and nothing else for the rest of my life, I would not be upset.

In general, a stainless steel razor is very hard to break, because the only weak points that it has are the thread and if it's an open comb razor, the teeth of some of the models does look a bit fragile. Other than that, you have to try really hard to damage it. Most inexpensive razors won't survive a single drop on a hard floor and that's hardly a surprise.

There's an old saying - ''If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it''. Besides, the point of buying a razor was never to impress someone, but yourself. I really have no problem or concerns if I drop any of my stainless steel or titanium razors. Sure, they might get scratched or even get a small dings here and there, but I doubt that they would break that easily.

If you drop a stainless steel tool on a hard tile floor, you can absolutely damage it. And the floor. Ask me how I know... (although it wasn't a razor, but something similar in size).

Zamak breaks, brass bends, stainless can bend too. It's easier to damage zamak than ss. But it's also easier to replace, and you're less likely to suffer "collateral damage".

I would not pay extra for ss just because it can last longer. But I would definitely pay for the craftsmanship if I felt the need to.

My concern with stainless isn't about the razor, but whatever they fall onto.

I've seen a few posts in the last month in multiple forums about people dropping razors and I increasingly feel myself pulled to lighter razors because I just don't want to deal with refinishing a bathroom floor, vanity top, or sink because I dropped a razor. It seems like anything more than 70g is outside my comfort zone. It's not necessarily rational, as I don't usually worry about dropping my cast iron or 5-ply stainless cookware on the floor, but it is what it is.

It's a weird feeling because I find myself getting pulled toward in two opposite directions: toward less expensive razors made from plastic or aluminum, or more expensive razors made from titanium.
I've got brass, stainless, titanium, zamak, aluminum razors, and even one bakelite razor. One of my absolute favorites is the aluminum Henson AL13. If you don't mind the light weight, aluminum is a great material.

Top Bottom