What's new

Why all the hate for shave foam?

That's not a great analogy. When canned foam appeared it did not displace artisan soaps costing several times more (carrots, beets) it replaced pucks and creams (apples). This at a time when SE and DE razors were the tools of choice and lube strips were still a twinkle in some industry leader's eye.

Since then what's old is new again and disposable time and income have allowed hobbiests to take wet shaving in a direction completely different than a simply daily task.

Just as some love a razor others hate, it is entirely conceivable we all don't like the same shaving lubricants or maybe in the words of the Waterboy's mama consider some of them "the devil".
Wish I could've taught of a better analogy.

No one said we all need to like the same thing, but claiming that canned goo outperforms the artisan soaps (as per OP) is not a matter of opinion or "YMMV". It's, put simply & candidly, a nonsense.

Someone mentioned a couple of pages back that they thought the creams and soaps we use clog the sink drains up. I feel the same way. I don't know what it is but since I started using these nice soaps and creams my sink starts to block up in a matter of months.
Not to mention it also leaves a residue on the sink that makes it look dull.
So I just recently switched back to canned soap (after not using it for 8 years.) even though I hate it. It feels like plastic foam to me but I'm using it because I'm tired of running a snake thru my sink drain to unclog it.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
No one said we all need to like the same thing, but claiming that canned goo outperforms the artisan soaps (as per OP) is not a matter of opinion or "YMMV". It's, put simply & candidly, a nonsense.
Nonesense??? Please tell me where shaving lubricants are OBJECTIVELY reviewed. Like just about everything in this hobby it's all a matter of opinion save for the price.

Someone mentioned a couple of pages back that they thought the creams and soaps we use clog the sink drains up. I feel the same way. I don't know what it is but since I started using these nice soaps and creams my sink starts to block up in a matter of months.
Not to mention it also leaves a residue on the sink that makes it look dull.
So I just recently switched back to canned soap (after not using it for 8 years.) even though I hate it. It feels like plastic foam to me but I'm using it because I'm tired of running a snake thru my sink drain to unclog it.

Have you considered running some hot water and Dawn through the drain once a month or so? Prioritizing your drains over your face seems kind of extreme to me.

Have you considered running some hot water and Dawn through the drain once a month or so? Prioritizing your drains over your face seems kind of extreme to me.

So how should I do this? Run some hot water down the sink then pour 1/4 cup of Dawn down the drain. Wait a few minutes and run the water again? That sound about right to you?

Nothing's wrong with a can of Barbasol, etc. I switched to mug and brush for the tradition and practice of lathering. Those are, for me, part of the enjoyment of shaving. I still used travel-size Barbasol on the road until recently, when the stores I shop started carrying only the sensitive-skin formulation. That's much too thick for me.

I use shave foam quite regularly, along with creams and soaps. In my experience, shave foam outperforms soap and creams on every metric, minus closeness of shave. So why all the hate for shave foam?
The short answer is, (imo) because it is too dry. Slightly longer answer: Too much of it is air, not enough of it is lubrication. My favorite was Noxzema, in early years the white can, then the red can. Nowadays, if I need to shave quickly and don't want to take the time to build a lather, I use Cremo. It isn't as good as a good shave soap in any way (face feel, performance, scent, whatever), but imo still much better than a can, even my favored one.

So how should I do this? Run some hot water down the sink then pour 1/4 cup of Dawn down the drain. Wait a few minutes and run the water again? That sound about right to you?

I use a stopper and fill the sink with hot water all the way. Add several squirts of Dawn and mix well. Then pull the drain plug to let the water/Dawn mixture flush the pipes.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
As to the clogged sinks, I use drano or similar when it gets slow. I've heard that shaving products with SLS help keep the drain flowing, so for those of you that use soaps that don't have that and don't want to drano their drain, you might consider occasionally running some soap with sls down the drain. I'm guessing the Dawn probably works great too.

Wish I could've taught of a better analogy.

Objectively all I know is my incidence of weepers and razor burn occur exponentially more often when I use a soap and brush. All I objectively know is I get greater results with with foam. And for those wondering I’ve played around with soap and brush for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The short answer is, (imo) because it is too dry. Slightly longer answer: Too much of it is air, not enough of it is lubrication. My favorite was Noxzema, in early years the white can, then the red can. Nowadays, if I need to shave quickly and don't want to take the time to build a lather, I use Cremo. It isn't as good as a good shave soap in any way (face feel, performance, scent, whatever), but imo still much better than a can, even my favored one.

Some foams benefit from extra water splashed on top. However, I recently tried Proraso foam it is great right out of the can.

I use a stopper and fill the sink with hot water all the way. Add several squirts of Dawn and mix well. Then pull the drain plug to let the water/Dawn mixture flush the pipes.

Thanks for the tip. I will try it. I really hate giving up my nice soaps.
How often do you do it?

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Proraso foam it is great right out of the can.
I have travel can of Prorasso Red. It is good out of the can as is Barbasol Purple and Orange. Since I participated so much in this thread I used Barbasol Original tonight. For me, that one needs a little water.

I do use soap and a brush more often than not because I like the process and can make the lather just like I like it. There are times though, usually with a brush-less when I get a shave that makes we wonder why I own a brush at all. But a proper lather and the swack swack swack of a proper badger is hard to beat too.

Thanks for the tip. I will try it. I really hate giving up my nice soaps.
How often do you do it?

Give it a try it, just may do the trick, no reason for all your nice software to go unused because of silly boring plumbing.

I do all the sinks every 6 months. You could try it more frequently, say once every month or two, and see what happens.

On the subject of aftershaves, I believe there is a Cien aftershave too? Do you have any experience?

I have a Lidl store almost next door, but always assumed Lidls budget products would be less than stellar after trying their toothpaste and shampoo with poor results.

Maybe I should give it a go though.

I used their Sensitive balm and the X-Bolt AS. I like the balm, it does not leave the skin feeling greasy and smells nice. The X-Bolt AS smells good but it will stay with you for the day. I prefer an aftershave that smells nice but fades well before I leave for work.

Check this thread: Lidl after shave splashes. Defiance & Fearless...... - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/lidl-after-shave-splashes-defiance-fearless.593273/

They are the same things but use different names in the US.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Objectively all I know is my incidence of weepers and razor burn occur exponentially more often when I use a soap and brush. All I objectively know is I get greater results with with foam. And for those wondering I’ve played around with soap and brush for years.

It sounds like you have nailed down what works best for you which is what most of us are trying to do but lots have yet to achieve despite trying many products great expense. For me the performance of soaps or creams, and even the closeness of the finished shave is not important at all. I am more interested in the ritual, tradition, and the relaxation that shaving provides. I could happily take the blade out and still shave 😁

Cause it dries my skin, doesn't soften enough my very hard whiskers and I can't get a close shave even with 3 passes. Almost every cream in a tube does better. Occasionally I would use a soap in a tub, but I am mostly a cream in a tube guy.

This is an interesting observation, but it begs for a more precise examination.

If we're talking canned foam + cartridge razor Vs. soap/cream + aggressive DE razor, then I can see where you're coming from.

However, I'd welcome your comments on a potential experiment:

Say, you buy a non-expensive, yet proven quality shaving soap, like Arko or inexpensive cream, say Palmolive to build a good quality lather. You use that lather on one side of your face, and you use whatever canned foam you do, on the other side of your face.

Rules: 1) use the same razor on both sides of your face and neck, 2) do a proper face-prep to soften the whiskers and 3) perform a 3-pass shave WTG, XTG and ATG.

Top Bottom