What's new

Words of wisdom about Canned Foam shave cream.

Good friend is
fireFighter, EMT, Paramedic, and made interesting remark that all CANNED FOAM use flammable game to push good out of cans. Gas will burn, and become imbedded in foam. He said what would you put something flammable on face, only to cause irritation, in surface and in pores when shaving?

Thought his point was good, never personally thought about that, he said serval brand use Propane/Butante as gas.

After some brief research it turns out its all completely true, isobutane in Gillette's foam.

Last edited:
I use aftershaves with alcohol, I drink alcohol, my sunscreen contains alcohol in the ingredients. I smoke a pipe and cigars. I spend 80h of the month above 30,000 feet where radiation is way above normal levels. I'm not worried about a little propane that quickly evaporates before the foam even touches my face.

More than 50% of the ingredients that goes in a standard drugstore aftershave are skin irritants. People seem really selective about things that are "not good" for you. (not you @DesertIguana, I know you're only passing your friend's message).

Eat healthy, exercise and try to enjoy things (and life) wisely.

Well, the sky is not falling in

I'm going with 97.8426% of any propellant buggerin off into the atmosphere.

I bet you can set the gas on fire as it exits a can.

I bet you cant light the foam in you hand.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
No thanks, I'll enjoy my shaves without propane. And if you're going to try and light it I suggest you stay a safe distance from the can.

I used canned goo all the time. Squirt it in a cup, and some water, agitate all the gas out, and it makes for a very nice lather. Much quicker than lathering hard soap for me, and every minute for me counts in the morning when I'm getting ready for work.

The amount of isobutane coming out of the can per squirt isn't anything to worry about. You breathe far worse gasses while in traffic each day commuting to work.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
When I used Edge gel I'm not sure how much gas was in the canister but they could of used Co2 or nitrogen to propel the product out . Alcohol is a needed as a preservative or something similar to preserve products like salt or sodium was used in mass at one time.

They used to use fluorocarbons as propellants, those were banned. Currently they use propane because it's quite cheap and liquefies under pressure at room temperature. It evaporates quickly when the cream is used. It's just chemistry and business, not an evil conspiracy.

When I used Edge gel I'm not sure how much gas was in the canister but they could of used Co2 or nitrogen to propel the product out . Alcohol is a needed as a preservative or something similar to preserve products like salt or sodium was used in mass at one time.
The can would have to be much thicker or refrigerated to use carbon dioxide or nitrogen. Butane or propane can be liquefied at reasonable pressures and temperatures.

Top Bottom