What's new

Why all the hate for shave foam?

Ok, I own Palmolive tube cream, it’s one of the few soaps I get acceptable results with. FYI I usually use 40’s Super Speeds or Milords, with German Wilkinson Swords. The only real modern razor I like is PAA Ascension. If I get the load the cream super heavy and leave it really dry to begin with it will work great for the ATG pass, but if I don’t...which is where the foam outshines, it consistently performs, not guess work, no razor burn, very few, if any weepers.

Give it a try it, just may do the trick, no reason for all your nice software to go unused because of silly boring plumbing.

I do all the sinks every 6 months. You could try it more frequently, say once every month or two, and see what happens.

I just did it. I'll see how it goes. Every 6 months sounds pretty good to me. I've brought this subject up several times here, about my sink clogging up and so far you seem to have the best solution for it. What most people recommend is only good for the sink trap. It won't get down the drain say 4 feet which is about where I think my blockage occurs.
Thanks again. You're a life saver.

I just did it. I'll see how it goes. Every 6 months sounds pretty good to me. I've brought this subject up several times here, about my sink clogging up and so far you seem to have the best solution for it. What most people recommend is only good for the sink trap. It won't get down the drain say 4 feet which is about where I think my blockage occurs.
Thanks again. You're a life saver.

Well if it works for you, I will be happy to have helped. If it doesn't, you might have a bigger problem somewhere down the line. Keep us posted!

Well if it works for you, I will be happy to have helped. If it doesn't, you might have a bigger problem somewhere down the line. Keep us posted!

What has been happening is I will run a snake thru the pipes and it will be just fine for about 2 years then it will block up again. It has done this 3 or 4 times. It shouldn't block up that fast. It only started doing it when I started using the good soaps.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
What has been happening is I will run a snake thru the pipes and it will be just fine for about 2 years then it will block up again. It has done this 3 or 4 times. It shouldn't block up that fast. It only started doing it when I started using the good soaps.
It's the fat. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of a gentle-ish chemical solution. I hate liquid Christopher Plummer type solutions. I wonder if a gallon of vinegar poured down there once in awhile would do anything? Probably not. Running your water real hot and longer than you think necessary would probably do lots of good if you done did it every post shave.

Some foams benefit from extra water splashed on top. However, I recently tried Proraso foam it is great right out of the can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip. If it comes in a travel size, that would be handy. Alas, the price of everything Proraso recently seems to have jumped up in the US. In the budget class I loved their products, but now that it's more expensive it has tough competition.

Based on that rate of clogging, I’d do the dawn/hot water mixture flush every 3 months or so. For what it costs in time and money though, you could just do it monthly, it won’t hurt. Dawn is pretty awesome at cutting grease and deposits, I doubt you’ll have any more problems.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Based on that rate of clogging, I’d do the dawn/hot water mixture flush every 3 months or so. For what it costs in time and money though, you could just do it monthly, it won’t hurt. Dawn is pretty awesome at cutting grease and deposits, I doubt you’ll have any more problems.
EXCELLENT advice. I hadn't thought about the grease cutting property of Dawn. And even once a week for the first month should not bust your budget.

Thanks for the tip. If it comes in a travel size, that would be handy. Alas, the price of everything Proraso recently seems to have jumped up in the US. In the budget class I loved their products, but now that it's more expensive it has tough competition.

Price creep for all things European is getting ridiculous. Also, I have seen 50ml sizes sold on Walmart.com. Be warned the price was more than I would want to pay for travel.

Canned foam is ok. A lot of newbies should stay w canned to eliminate that variable as they learn DE shaving. I don’t like canned gel, however. Doesn’t rinse off well

I hope you are right. It was very frustrating that it clogged up so often and then I was afraid to use my soaps.

Before wet shaving I always used Edge gel. Foams never had the same slickness as the gel for me. I like it a little thicker and bring a lot of water to the face with the razor giving really good slickness.

It's the fat. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of a gentle-ish chemical solution. I hate liquid Christopher Plummer type solutions. I wonder if a gallon of vinegar poured down there once in awhile would do anything? Probably not. Running your water real hot and longer than you think necessary would probably do lots of good if you done did it every post shave.

To remove fat you don’t need an acid. You need lye which is what’s used to make soap in the first place. Lye based cleaners work great on sinks, bathtubs etc. because fat residue is turned into soap

Why all the hate? Because I hate getting razor burn and irritation, and shaving foam has always given me that no matter what I try and do.

Ok, I own Palmolive tube cream, it’s one of the few soaps I get acceptable results with. FYI I usually use 40’s Super Speeds or Milords, with German Wilkinson Swords. The only real modern razor I like is PAA Ascension. If I get the load the cream super heavy and leave it really dry to begin with it will work great for the ATG pass, but if I don’t...which is where the foam outshines, it consistently performs, not guess work, no razor burn, very few, if any weepers.
@Darkknight79, I mean no disrespect, I honestly would like to help.

With that in mind, I would venture as far as to say that your understanding of the shaving process might be the root cause of your problem. If you don't know how to make a good lather, your shaves will never be satisfactory, let alone enjoyable.

Lather should never be heavy and dry, quite the opposite as a matter of fact. Dry lather will make your blade stick and drag, requiring extra pressure to attempt to glide it over your skin. There lies your problem, that's why you end up with irritation.

Great lather should be well hydrated and slick. It should have a visible sheen on it surface. When you achieve that, your razor/blade will glide effortlessly over your skin. That's why we say you "let the weight of the razor do the work".

For the ATG pass, lather should be a tad bit wetter, to provide the extra glide and slickness. Obviously on the ATG you need to lift the razor upwards, so it's not shaving by its own weight, so you have to be extra careful.

My honest advice is to get yourself a mild DE/SE razor coupled with a pack of sharp blades. This combination - mild razor with sharp blades - will ensure you get a close, yet comfortable shave without irritation. Some people will prefer the opposite - more aggressive razor and mild blades. I don't think this will serve you. After trying many razor/blade combos, I have found "paradise" with Hawk v3 SE razor. I use the standard base plate, which is very mild, paired with Feather Pro Super blades, which are ultra sharp. This combo gives me an extremely close, yet very mild, comfortable shave with zero weepers or nicks.

I'm not a big fan of the phrase "YMMV", as certain things just happen to work, while others don't. Mild razor, sharp blades and good quality soap/cream are quite likely to provide an enjoyable shave to just about anyone. So, it's not really YMMV.

Hope it helps and keep us posted on your progress 😀

Canned foam is ok. A lot of newbies should stay w canned to eliminate that variable as they learn DE shaving. I don’t like canned gel, however. Doesn’t rinse off well
I don’t really care for the gel either, great
@Darkknight79, I mean no disrespect, I honestly would like to help.

With that in mind, I would venture as far as to say that your understanding of the shaving process might be the root cause of your problem. If you don't know how to make a good lather, your shaves will never be satisfactory, let alone enjoyable.

Lather should never be heavy and dry, quite the opposite as a matter of fact. Dry lather will make your blade stick and drag, requiring extra pressure to attempt to glide it over your skin. There lies your problem, that's why you end up with irritation.

Great lather should be well hydrated and slick. It should have a visible sheen on it surface. When you achieve that, your razor/blade will glide effortlessly over your skin. That's why we say you "let the weight of the razor do the work".

For the ATG pass, lather should be a tad bit wetter, to provide the extra glide and slickness. Obviously on the ATG you need to lift the razor upwards, so it's not shaving by its own weight, so you have to be extra careful.

My honest advice is to get yourself a mild DE/SE razor coupled with a pack of sharp blades. This combination - mild razor with sharp blades - will ensure you get a close, yet comfortable shave without irritation. Some people will prefer the opposite - more aggressive razor and mild blades. I don't think this will serve you. After trying many razor/blade combos, I have found "paradise" with Hawk v3 SE razor. I use the standard base plate, which is very mild, paired with Feather Pro Super blades, which are ultra sharp. This combo gives me an extremely close, yet very mild, comfortable shave with zero weepers or nicks.

I'm not a big fan of the phrase "YMMV", as certain things just happen to work, while others don't. Mild razor, sharp blades and good quality soap/cream are quite likely to provide an enjoyable shave to just about anyone. So, it's not really YMMV.

Hope it helps and keep us posted on your progress 😀

the problem is when I get the lather right for the 1st and 2nd pass, the lather is often to thin and airy on the 3rd pass to provide any protection or glide. I agree about the mild razor sharp smooth blade, which is why I solely use German Wilkinson Swords they perform excellent in my preferred super speeds.

the problem is when I get the lather right for the 1st and 2nd pass, the lather is often to thin and airy on the 3rd pass to provide any protection or glide. I agree about the mild razor sharp smooth blade, which is why I solely use German Wilkinson Swords they perform excellent in my preferred super speeds.
Just load some more soap/cream, a few drops of water and you're good to go.

Top Bottom