What's new

"Whoa, Can-a-da ..."

Ad Astra

The Instigator
One does wonder how this will pan out. Great beer, whisky, sports with hockey, baseball, basketball, Cuban cigars, great live theater, and the canuck buck being low vs the US dollar, and very friendly people.

I live here . . . and heck I'd buy a ticket to come here.

You left out the good food, beautiful women, and historical sites! Also the parks ...

AA

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Yep. I live on the edge of a conservation area and within easy driving distance to several waterfalls and rivers with wild trout. These things I value more than this almost meaningless change in our laws.

One does wonder how this will pan out. Great beer, whisky, sports with hockey, baseball, basketball, Cuban cigars, great live theater, and the canuck buck being low vs the US dollar, and very friendly people.

I live here . . . and heck I'd buy a ticket to come here.

Yup. Should be one hum dinger of a tourist season, not to mention the upcoming ski season.
Canadian Universities have experienced a large influx of international students in the last few years. I wonder if legal weed will be a factor for international students in choosing a country in which to study? World class Universities and legal weed?
To quote Ricky: "It's not rocket appliances"

Here in the province of Ontario, you will be able to smoke up anywhere you can smoke tobacco. But if you dare walk down the street with a beer...woe betide you! You're going to get ticketed.

I have to chuckle that the federal government foisted legalization on all the provinces. Ontario has a puritanical streak that is gradually going away. But there is still no happy hour at bars allowed legally (although some bars do have after-work specials). Sunday shopping was banned until 1992. I was well into my adult years by that point. When I'm doing weekend stuff, I still need to remind myself sometimes that I can go to a store on a Sunday, I don't have to get shopping done by Saturday.

I doubt legalization will make much of a difference. For the past few years it is impossible to go for a walk without smelling the stuff. I doubt anyone was deterred by legal concerns. If anything, it might have the effect of reducing organized crime's proceeds. If the illegal market is reduced, the dealers will be out of luck. Their only thing would be to try to undercut government prices. This used to happen with cigarettes, and could still happen with cigs, but you don't hear much about it.

Cigarettes, live near a reserve, i'm not a smoker but know those that do and Six Nations is a hop, skip and a jump away.
dave

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Was she selling cookies ... or brownies?

Ontario has a puritanical streak that is gradually going away. ... Sunday shopping was banned until 1992.

I moved from BC to Ontario back in 1990. One day I went for a walk to buy groceries; a good half-hour walk to the ... what, A&P or whatever weird supermarkets you have back there. Anyhow, I just walk right up to the automatic door and ... nothin'!

Huh?

What the ... ?

Oh ... you still do the "no Sunday shopping" thing here. How quaint. After that, I just managed to shop on the other 6 days of the week, no biggie.

proxy.php

I got a kick out of your "beer stores" too.

I'm about a 5 minute drive from a Reserve, and luckily can still buy my smokes there! 'Higher' end smokes are actually really good, and just a third the price of 'popular' brands. The Pot shops have been around for a few years already, dozens of them, the new law just makes them a little easier to slip of the Reserve and into town. The only thing that drives me nuts about the new law is having to listen to the radio at work. Pot .. Pot .. Weather .. Pot .. Pot .. Pot .. Bad Song .. Pot .. Pot ..

One of my favorite shops reminds me of a favorite from my youth:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Like much of Robert Heinlein's viewpoint about such things, Canada has a lot to attract this almost and nearly US expat. I just have to rebuild my body to take advantage of all those things I was looking forward to doing when all the responsibilities were satisfied... (Boy did that part of my future perfect get messed up.)

Pop Shoppe pop is still available here and there. University dorm fridge was stocked with beer and Pop Shoppe.
dave

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
For me the Pop shoppe was back in an era where a kid might have a 6 and 1/2 oz bottle of coke if his dad was having a good day when they went to the barber shop and about as frequently as one had their hair cut.

These days a lot of us drink a ton of pop. Now drink companies, such as Coca Cola . . . if some news is to believed, seem to be looking toward cannabis infused drinks.

Friends with kids are telling me that their kids don't drink pop. They love their bottled water.

Then I'm hearing that big corporations are getting into running distributed water systems. . . .er . . . the stuff that comes out of the taps in our homes. Egad.

Hello,

By now, the stores run out of stock and are not open half of the time. Someone underestimated the demand.

Take care
YouYou

The DC model is the most annoying. It is legal to smoke and possess marijuana but it is illegal to buy or sell it.

Top Bottom