What's new

The Great Footwear Purge of 2021 (… and 2022)… An Essay

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
For Pete’s sake, don’t do it, man! 🤪

Everything else got a good sort through in the last 18 months. The expanding waistline meant a full overhaul, followed by the shoe exploration you're already familiar with. The ties just sat there, watching the turmoil going off around them. :lol1: To be honest, I'd be happy getting down to one hanger of ties (regular and bow ties). I think there's 20 slots on each hanger.

As to new shoes that don't quite fit. A couple of pairs of mine, don't seem to be relaxing as much as I thought they might in the toe area. No exchanges possible though, as it was a closing down sale. I might be tempted to try a stretcher further down the line, if they continue to be unyielding.

Interesting. I do not think that I can recall any regrets from NOT buying something. Bad purchases, yes, but not bad refrain.
The way I interpret this comment is related to experiences generated based on some purchase. Much how like almost no one has regretted purchasing a plane ticket to some far flung travel destination, but might regret that they didn't take that first trip sooner. Or how a person who very much enjoys music but never bought any nice hifi gear until many years later, regretting how they would have better enjoyed all those previous hours listening to music. A more haberdashery example might be the gent who finally bought their grail Swiss watch realizing that they could have bought it years earlier and been wearing it all along.

There there is the adage "buy once cry once". But in general I agree with your point, I would rather not buy something.

Jim Smith at Alden of San Francisco. Great guy. Been dealing with him for well over a decade.
View attachment 1398064

Jim was the one who found the Ravello chukkas that I had ordered many years back after nearly a 2 year search.

View attachment 1398065

He actually sent me 4 pairs of Indy 405s so that I could try them at home. Tomorrow, I will be returning 3 pairs and keeping the ones you see here.
View attachment 1398063

Lovely story, and LOVELY Indy's! I have a pair of Indy boots and low tops in Chrome excel - they're lovely, but a bit heavy with the cork sole. In my experience it take a bit of time to break them in.

Alden SF has great service for long-term customers. Even though I live just 30 miles away, I only go into SF once a year at most, but when I do, I swing by the Alden store. Only problem is - I tend to walk out with shoes too often. I've nabbed some great rare shoes though - whisky, ravello, amaretto, cigar, #6, etc.

I would buy the book you write about your relationships with things. When you went in, you went complete and of very high quality stuff. You lived with it, enjoyed it, cared for it and then passed some of it on when you decided the time was right. It strikes me as a remarkably healthy way to live.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I would buy the book you write about your relationships with things. When you went in, you went complete and of very high quality stuff. You lived with it, enjoyed it, cared for it and then passed some of it on when you decided the time was right. It strikes me as a remarkably healthy way to live.

C1AD237E-1DC9-4D45-8311-0D5213B4F98C.jpeg

As far as using things, I think the lyrics of the late, great singer-songwriter, Bill Withers sums it up best in his song, “Use Me”

“Yes, I wanna spread the news
That if it feels this good gettin' used
Oh, you just keep on usin' me
Until you use me up
Until you use me up.”

It could serve as the 3017 anthem. 😉😀

shavefan

I’m not a fan
And the payoff for printing out a few shipping labels, a little packing tape and a couple of trips to the post office is getting a new pair of Alden Indy 405s with some of the proceeds from the Great Purge of 2021 (… and 2022). :thumbup1:

View attachment 1394707

Even Mrs. Gold can’t argue with that! :nono: :lol:

I have a pair of Indie's (403 chromexcel) and the Truebalance last fits my foot like it was made for me. Wonderful boots.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I have a pair of Indie's (403 chromexcel) and the Truebalance last fits my foot like it was made for me. Wonderful boots.

The most comfortable of all the Alden lasts I’ve tried so far which includes the Barrie, Aberdeen, Leydon, Van and the Tremont.

The popular consensus is the Barrie and the Trubalance are the most similar and I would agree but the Tremont also provides plenty of room in the toebox.

They are all very comfortable.

Jim Smith at Alden of San Francisco. Great guy. Been dealing with him for well over a decade.
View attachment 1398064

Jim was the one who found the Ravello chukkas that I had ordered many years back after nearly a 2 year search.

View attachment 1398065

He actually sent me 4 pairs of Indy 405s so that I could try them at home. Tomorrow, I will be returning 3 pairs and keeping the ones you see here.
View attachment 1398063
Excellent service, seriously who does that anymore? I only have a few Alden’s, both from the SF store and I can attest the customer service is excellent.
Those are some good lookin boots 👍

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The 2022 footwear purge continues as this last pair of J&Ms sold over this past weekend. For the first time since the mid-90’s, there are no J&M’s in my shoe collection.

They served me well and I’m sure they will do the same for their new owner.

BA45F061-1F60-41EE-AC75-6DB75AB0DE63.jpeg

6D8E723F-4F45-4323-A5DB-BFE6B43FD118.jpeg

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
For the first time since the mid-90’s, there are no J&M’s in my shoe collection.

Not so much a "purge" as a "pivot" ... you probably have as many pairs of shoes as always ... but have sold off the dress shoes and stocked up on the casual.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Not so much a "purge" as a "pivot" ... you probably have as many pairs of shoes as always ... but have sold off the dress shoes and stocked up on the casual.

Very true. Most of the dress shoes have been replaced with more casual shoes as well as sneakers. Slightly more have been sold than acquired but it’s pretty darn close.

I’m starting to think, at this point, that I can begin an exit strategy for most of my other dress shoes as well.

As much as it pains me to say it, they just don’t get worn all that much anymore.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I’m starting to think, at this point, that I can begin an exit strategy for most of my other dress shoes as well.

As much as it pains me to say it, they just don’t get worn all that much anymore.

I blame the guy who tells you which shoes to wear each morning.

I understand. Other than bulling the cap toes a couple of times a year my black calf skin Oxfords haven’t been off their trees in many years. The half dozen times a year that do I wear black shoes I either reach for an Italian penny loafer or a Church’s full brogue. They just seem more comfortable with the kind of suits that I’d pair them with. Even the color 8 moccasins sit for months at a time collecting dust.

Best to get in while there is still a market at all. These old classics might be worthless in a few more years.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've gone the other way. I used to have to occasional need for dress shoes, but only had a couple of pairs. Now, I have zero need for dressy shoes, and bought several pairs... :letterk1: ... even though I tend to dress them down with more casual clothes than they are capable of pairing with. I've always been one to go against the tide though :biggrin1:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
As the “purge mindset” continues, I recently placed several pairs of Alden shoes back in their boxes since they were taking up valuable real estate in my closet (now they are taking up valuable space elsewhere 🙄).

These shoes were mainly worn at the office but with the post-pandemic shift to less formal, more casual office wear, they are just not seeing much action these days.

Although they are purged from my closet, I haven’t decided to purge them from my collection…. yet
1D5551AA-F24B-436C-97A7-D1B967656A2B.jpeg
1B7EAFE8-DA92-4B34-BE95-1FC77D087D8C.jpeg
378D54FD-77C6-470C-913C-6F3364C41AC8.jpeg
B3000211-6719-4D19-AD68-C02028B4A7D8.jpeg
46190E75-2311-41F1-8E23-373F65D5526A.jpeg

Now I have some extra room in my closet for the pair of Blundstone 550’s (in Walnut) that I just ordered. 🤪

Just in time for some April showers. :yesnod:

When I get ‘em, you’ll see ‘em. 😎

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had a similar purge as well..... but my shoes were nowhere near the price of the Aldens.

For me, the reasons were two fold. One, I sold my part of a rep business so I no longer needed suits, ties and dress shoes. The second was worse, from my standpoint. At the age of 55 (I'm now almost 69), my feet grew... from a size 11 B or C... to a 12 or 13 depending on the shoe manufacturer. All my shoes, Italian hiking boots... every single pair I owned no longer fit.

I've heard this is fairly common.... they told me men's noses, ears and feet continue to grow until we die. Lovely thought, isn't it?

I gave away all my dress shoes. Our youngest son wears size 11 too. I still have all my Italian suits, ties and dress shirts. They really need to go. It's hard to part with them.... I remember picking them out.. one by one at a amazing men's store in Cherry Hill, NJ. I'm color blind so my wife always accompanied me. The owner of the store and one of the women employees all participated in the tie selection after I'd chosen a suit. It was very fun.... of course... the right shirt... the right dress socks... all part of the journey. I have 4 or 5 ties for each suit... hanging over the suit pants... so I'd always know which tie went with which suit.

Anyway, this thread brings back happy memories for me. Thanks for starting it, Bob.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
All my shoes, Italian hiking boots... every single pair I owned no longer fit.

I've heard this is fairly common.... they told me men's noses, ears and feet continue to grow until we die. Lovely thought, isn't it?

Well, I’m a believer. The sizes of the various footwear I’ve ordered over these last few years moved into larger sizes then I’ve ordered in the recent past.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Those office shoes look far too good to dispose of, Bob. I don't have a "need" for dress shoes anymore either (even though I bought a pile of 'em last year), but still get a feel good factor from them.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
And now…. back to our regularly scheduled Great Purge of 2022.

Tonight, this pair of Rod Laver tennis sneakers just sold on Poshmark.
94796238-8358-4E95-89B6-1D50F71484AC.jpeg

I must say that I was really torn about selling these sneeks. I waited a long time to find them. I think adidas produces them for a bit and then discontinues them for a bit.

I had ordered these in Size 10.5. This was the size that I ordered for many years in previous adidas models that I’ve owned. But as I previously mentioned (and to @Phoenixkh ’s point) I have seen my adidas size go up to 11 and 11.5 in recent times, depending on the sneaker.

I had to face the facts that the 10.5 Rod Laver was just not going to cut it since my toes did not have much wiggle room in the toe area.

Unfortunately, this sneaker in either size 11.0 or 11.5 has become unobtainable as adidas no longer sells this model on its website and they are difficult to find new on the secondary market without paying an exorbitant amount of coin.

Because of the scarcity of the sneaker in these particular sizes (including the 10.5), I was able to recoup my initial outlay and therefore was not out-of-pocket on the resale.

Not bad for a sneaker I purchased in January of 2021, wore a few times and then they ended up sitting in the closet, never to be worn again.

So…. as I did before. I will await the time when (if) the Rod Laver sneeks go back into mass production and obtain the correct size.

In the interim…. I’ll figure something out. 😉😀

Last edited:
Top Bottom