What's new

Who here chooses to Open Carry? Who here Conceal Carries?

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Great thread guys, very informative well thought out responses. I conceal carry, Texas law prohibits open carry. Even if that was not the case it would still be concealed.

Great thread guys, very informative well thought out responses. I conceal carry, Texas law prohibits open carry. Even if that was not the case it would still be concealed.

Consealed carry in my eyes keeps the bad guys guessing ... and that's a good thing (YMMV) !

We can open carry here in OK but I won't/don't. To me it's like playing no limit hold 'em poker with one of your hole cards turned up.

We can carry open here, too, but when you still have the option for concealed carry, why bother? Open carry only gets you unwanted attention and a lot of potential questioning from law enforcement.

On the other hand, I totally understand the sentiment that open carry can act as a deterrent to would-be criminals. Unfortunately, many folks simply use it as a form of "Look at me!" which turns me off from the subject altogether. I dunno, it's just the stigma of walking around with a visible firearm attached to your side.

For me, I'm very low key in general, so attracting unwanted attention isn't my forte'.

Although there has been some argument in my home state as of late, OC has always been legal in my state. Since I turned 21 whenever headed to the farm I would typically strap something on when I got moving at the house and not take it off. My experiences were/are frankly most people are oblivious to their surroundings and don't notice a dang thing.

There are arguments for and against. Proponents of OC say it can act as a deterrent, opponents say it puts a target on your back, and states where it's allowed see little of any instances for either IMO. There is a segment of the population who uses the mindset of "I'm not paying for a permit to use my constitutional right" as well and a large segment of those OC.

Frankly I don't do it for attention as it's mainly a convenience thing. When I'm crawling over the tractor I like quick access when something is slithering my way. I do, however, make it a point that when someone has asked me about it out and about that this isn't show and tell. When I've been asked what it is I reply 'A gun' and keep moving on about my business.

In closing I guess, I carry both ways. I always use the same holster which is usually a pancake on one of my belts. What works for me may not for you and that is the great thing about where a lot of folks still live! Most still have a choice as to how they go about their business.

I have a couple of CCW permits and I carry concealed wherever and whenever I am legal. If I am wearing clothes, I am packing.

Open carry is legal here in Michigan, but I don't see the sense in it. I have a CPL and only carry concealed. I don't want any BG's knowing i'm carrying.

If I'm at work, around town, doing normal stuff, I conceal.

If I'm helping my brother at the gun shop, in the woods, on the farm helping the neighbors with the horses, at the range, etc. then i'm open carrying.

Then again, sometimes the only difference between open and concealed is whether my shirt is tucked in or not.

Hmmm...if I lived in an open carry state, I would tote this around one day just to see what would happen...

$photomp15.JPG

Hmmm...if I lived in an open carry state, I would tote this around one day just to see what would happen...

View attachment 363282

a couple of guys did it here and it caused nothing but a headache! I get the point but they did this shortly after the mall shooting that occurred here. Easy 15 min of fame for those two guys. Since then they have done it a few more times and the response was not as much of a big deal. Still it is somewhat unnerving to here a call for a couple of guys with ARs.

Last edited:
I Carry concealed off duty under LEOSA. I support those who open carry, I simply choose not to.

To each his own.

Frank

Interesting item from MICHIGAN you can open carry in restricted areas if you have a CPL.
[SIZE=+0]
“…My office has contacted the Michigan State Police legislative liaison and has received some answers to share with you. According to the liaison, it is legal to openly carry a firearm in a "Pistol Free Zone" if you are a licensed CPL holder. I was advised that your information was correct that
[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]MCL[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
28.425o and
[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]MCL[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
750-234d permit this activity. I was informed that there was no other additional relevant laws regarding this matter…” Michael A
[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]Prusi[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]
, State Senator 38th District"

Pretty interesting
[/SIZE]

If this country let us conceal carry, I would be all over it! Geez our crap hole laws don't even let us carry pocket knifes!!

Interesting item from MICHIGAN you can open carry in restricted areas if you have a CPL.
“…My office has contacted the Michigan State Police legislative liaison and has received some answers to share with you. According to the liaison, it is legal to openly carry a firearm in a "Pistol Free Zone" if you are a licensed CPL holder. I was advised that your information was correct that
MCL 28.425o and
MCL 750-234d permit this activity. I was informed that there was no other additional relevant laws regarding this matter…” Michael A
Prusi, State Senator 38th District"

Pretty interesting

That is technically how the California law is written. The CCW is an exemption to the law which prohibits carrying a loaded firearm. It also provides an exemption to the law that required a concealed handgun to be in a locked container.
They are two separate laws and are not tied together. Technically, the CCW allows loaded carry of anything under the one law, and allows unlocked concealed carry (loaded or not) under the other law.

But especially with the new laws prohibiting open carry, even with the exemption, it's not smart, and some CCW holders have had their licenses revoked for openly carrying even before the whole OC movement started in California a few years back. It sucks, because even though they were in violation of no law, the CCW is issued at the pleasure of the local County Sheriff, and with California being a may-issue state, the holder has no recourse but to apologize to the Sheriff and reapply.

Let me kick the thin coat of dust off of this one.

I OC either a HK USP 40 in a phlster kydex, or a G20 in a serpa CQC.

I CC my HK in a White Hat IWB Maxtuck, G20 in a crossbreed horsehide.

OC is all about comfort for me, no wardrobe checks for printing, just do my thing. There is a time and place for everything, and I go CC for when I want to lay low.

I conceal carry, mostly a Ruger LCP in my back pocket.

We don't have open carry, but ever if we did I prefer CC. Open carry would make a lot of brainwashed people nervous.

Actually, in most states carry of long guns is not regulated at all. As such, open carry laws rarely have anything to do with it. I imagine NY, CA, etc have probably done so, however.

To the OP's question..yeah I carry concealed. I can open carry here, and quite a few folks do (without so much as a head turn), but I just prefer concealed.

Actually, in most states carry of long guns is not regulated at all. As such, open carry laws rarely have anything to do with it. I imagine NY, CA, etc have probably done so, however.

Long gun OC is still legal until January.
But transport of a LOADED firearm is illegal, with a few exceptions that apply in rural areas.

Can't OC in Texas and I wouldn't if I could. However, I would like it to be legal because it's a nice safeguard to accidental printing/exposure and such. I believe this latest round of legislation made it so the statute against "accidental exposure" is worded as "intentional exposure" but I'd prefer if there was no question about it. Also, other people OCing makes me even more invisible :ninja:

I think OC is asking for trouble so I have never done it. I would rather not have the Disarmament people getting in my face and I would rather not have to show my carry license to a cop 15 times a day just because a few dorks freaked out when they saw my firearm. I conceal carry it's safer for everyone that way. I have never had a situation that warranted drawing it and I hope I never do. I carry a Sig P229 chambered in .40.

Top Bottom