What's new

Who else has tried Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus?

Just had my first shave with one and got a ton of nicks on my neck, not smooth ATG at all, and I never get nicks when using Haslinger. Blade felt sharp enough, but super prickly ATG. Gillette PPI blades usually feel about the same to me and tend to agree with my skin, so it’s an oddity for me. Please feel free to share any experiences you’ve had with this blade here, good or bad.

They’re actually fairly nice blades, assertive but not too unforgiving. Similar to new production Gillette platinum “Swede” packaging last time I tried them but a touch sharper. Like a more refined permasharp would be my best description. The last flat I bought is old production so it could be possible they changed like the other models. They are also one of the first blades to be counterfeited as well.

I think I have one pack of Rubie platinum that I have not tried.

I do recall seeing a comparison of fake Rubie packaging compared to legit ones.

I had a pack of the Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus (ink marked) from about 10 years ago. When I finally tried them, they were among the smoothest and most forgiving blades that I had ever tried. I stopped using the blade after about 40 shaves, but not because it had dulled.

Then I ordered 100 Gillette Rubie Platinum (laser marked) blades from razorbladesclub.com. They were very different. They are not necessarily sharper than a Feather blade on first use, but they are very close. These are definitely the sharpest of all Gillette blades that I have tried. Somewhere around the 20th shave, they calm down and behave more like the original ink marked Rubies. I am really not exaggerating.

If you order them from razorbladeclubs.com, I am sure that they will send you the genuine blades.

It has been a long time since these were called Rubie Platinum Plus. A few years ago they renamed them to Rubie Plus. And recently they became just Rubie.
I bought my original pack about 14 or 15 years ago. It was part of a Russian sample pack that included about 8 or 9 different 5 pack blades. There are still several that I have not tired (Ladas, Rapira Platinum Lux, Rapira Swedish Super Steel, Rapira Super Stainless). I tried the PolSiilver, Voshkod, Sputnik, and eventually the Rubie Platinum Plus. When I discovered the PolSilvers, I stopped looking and deprived myself of the Rubies for many years :)

I guess I bought my original sample pack in 2009. It was part of a Russian sample collection that included about 8 or 9 different blade packs. There are still several that I have not tired (Ladas, Rapira Platinum Lux, Rapira Swedish Super Steel, Rapira Super Stainless). I tried the PolSiilver, Voshkod, Sputnik, and eventually the Rubie Platinum Plus. When I discovered the PolSilvers, I stopped looking and deprived myself of the Rubies for many years :)

Top Bottom