What's new

132 Blades - Gillette Rubie Platinum

The Rubie Platinum is a convincing argument for a shave philosophy of a pre-set number of shaves and then summarily disposing of the blade. I tend to push a blade PRIMARILY until it gets painfully tuggy or can't deliver a sufficient shave for a day at work. This means that a CCS will get me by, but the first CCS shave is generally the last for the blade. Occasionally, blood drawn will end a blade early.

In looking at all 6 shaves, the Rubie is a 4-and-out blade for me. The blood basically came on shaves 5 and 6, and there was plenty of it. I'm not going to post the spreadsheet but it tied with the Sputnik at a score of 7.73, just behind the Dorco Prime Platinum and ahead of the Gillette 365. Twenty-four blades scored worse and 25 blades scored better making it overall one of the common herd.

HOWEVER, when you look at just shaves 1-4, the score zooms to 8.82 and puts the blade in 9th place, tied with the Astra Superior Platinum (Laser Marked) and the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum. Blood drops to 3 weepers in 4 shaves with no outright bleeders. That graph is provided below. Of note, all 4 blades at this score level are platinum as is the Dollar.

1699223781229.png

It needs to be broken in. I found the third shave to be the highest quality shave. Funny how that works. Though I think it’s fair to assume a blade should work as intended out of the box and scored accordingly.

In my experience, weepers or nicks are user issues, not a characteristic of the blade. Razor blades are by definition very sharp, and it's up to the driver (who is shaving!) to get that sharp edge at the correct pressure and angle to cut without causing bleeding.

Blades that "cause weepers" after a few shaves are most likely being used with too much pressure -- even a blade long past the ability to cleanly and smoothly cut hair will slice skin.

The PTFE coating on modern blades will only last 5 or 6 shaves as a rule, and after that there is more drag as the blade cuts the hairs, but the edge is probably not degraded much. Just a different sensation as you shave, and if you react to more pulling sensation with more pressure on the razor, you get weepers.

After all, it's easily possible to get a very close, blood free shave with a straight razor, which has zero guards, guides, or safety bar.

In my experience, weepers or nicks are user issues, not a characteristic of the blade. Razor blades are by definition very sharp, and it's up to the driver (who is shaving!) to get that sharp edge at the correct pressure and angle to cut without causing bleeding.

Blades that "cause weepers" after a few shaves are most likely being used with too much pressure -- even a blade long past the ability to cleanly and smoothly cut hair will slice skin.

The PTFE coating on modern blades will only last 5 or 6 shaves as a rule, and after that there is more drag as the blade cuts the hairs, but the edge is probably not degraded much. Just a different sensation as you shave, and if you react to more pulling sensation with more pressure on the razor, you get weepers.

After all, it's easily possible to get a very close, blood free shave with a straight razor, which has zero guards, guides, or safety bar.
This is pure blade wisdom. There is no blade that can't give you at least 10 nice shaves in my opinion. I am learning that we destroy the blade during the first 3-4 shaves by putting a lot of pressure. I am trying to learn to use a light touch, fewer passes to complete the shave and I am finding that just these two principles make the blade last longer.

Top Bottom