What's new

Gillette Platinum (Light Blue) Russian v Chinese

light bl platinum Rus v CHN.jpg

Here is another comparison. Gillette Platinum made by PPI (Russia) and Gillette Shanghai (China). On the left Russian (manufactured 11/20). On the right the Chinese (09/23). Do not pay attention to the Russian pack being a different hue. There are also Russian batches that have the darker colour like on the Chinese ones.

Usual methodology of comparison. Only brand new blades are used for one shave. Nothing changes, except the blade. Same razor, cream, brush and aftershave. The first razor used was inconclusive, so a second pair of brand new blades were used in another razor.

1) Parker 97R.
I must say the difference is small but it's there. Closeness of shave was almost the same. The Russian blade tone is higher, the Chinese is louder and lower. This usually means less sharpness. One important thing to mention. During aftershave application there was much more irritation with the Chinese blade.

2) Merkur Progress @3
Here things were different. The Chinese blade had some very light resistance on a couple of spots. Again the same difference in sound. Higher tone with the Russian blade, lower with the Chinese. Although irritation during AS application was equal, I have to say closeness of shave with the Chinese blade was less. At least 40% of my face had the stubble felt only after some 3 hours.

The bottom line:
Here the differences are even smaller than with Astra SP. I must emphasise some users probably will not be able to feel them at all. For those who thought the Russian blades were too sharp for them the new Chinese ones might be a solution. On the other hand those who need something very sharp might not be fully satisfied with the Chinese blades. Both are excellent though.

Interesting write up. For me, the Russian Platinums were a very sharp blade - I would put them in my top 3 with Feathers and Permasharps, although I always found the Platinums a little prickly. If the Chinese version solves that it could be a good trade off.

It seems like so far your reviews of relocated PPI blades have been quite positive, which is encouraging!

Interesting write up. For me, the Russian Platinums were a very sharp blade - I would put them in my top 3 with Feathers and Permasharps, although I always found the Platinums a little prickly. If the Chinese version solves that it could be a good trade off.

It seems like so far your reviews of relocated PPI blades have been quite positive, which is encouraging!
Very sharp, but there are sharper ones. I wouldn't even think of comparing them to the Feather. Minora Stainless, Iridium -Super, Bic Chrome Platinum, Gillette 365, 7 O'clock Perma-Sharp, Gillette Super Thin (the non-Platinum for Thailand) are all sharper than the light blues.

Very sharp, but there are sharper ones. I wouldn't even think of comparing them to the Feather. Minora Stainless, Iridium -Super, Bic Chrome Platinum, Gillette 365, 7 O'clock Perma-Sharp, Gillette Super Thin (the non-Platinum for Thailand) are all sharper than the light blues.

Is there a significant different between the blue tuck Platinums and the white tuck? I have only tried the white tuck and assumed it was the same blades in both...but you know what they say about assumptions!

Is there a significant different between the blue tuck Platinums and the white tuck? I have only tried the white tuck and assumed it was the same blades in both...but you know what they say about assumptions!
Don't know what you call a blue and what a white. They both have blue and white on the package. The difference is these have light blue and the old ca. 1990 model has dark blue.
To answer you question: The dark blues and the light blues are not the same blade. Dark blues are milder and will struggle if you have very tough whiskers and use a very mild razor.

Don't know what you call a blue and what a white. They both have blue and white on the package. The difference is these have light blue and the old ca. 1990 model has dark blue.
To answer you question: The dark blues and the light blues are not the same blade. Dark blues are milder and will struggle if you have very tough whiskers and use a very mild razor.

This is what I meant by the white tuck. These seem to be the ones we get in the UK:
1704205242152.png

I agree they aren't as sharp as Feathers, but to me they feel as though they are nearly up there with Permasharps (refinedshave doesn't agree). I seem to remember thinking that they were certainly sharper than the post-2017 7OC Sharp Edge or GSBs at least.

Attachments

• 1704205144530.png
    1704205144530.png
    300.9 KB · Views: 8
This is what I meant by the white tuck. These seem to be the ones we get in the UK:
View attachment 1773819
I agree they aren't as sharp as Feathers, but to me they feel as though they are nearly up there with Permasharps (refinedshave doesn't agree). I seem to remember thinking that they were certainly sharper than the post-2017 7OC Sharp Edge or GSBs at least.
Don't even get me started on the 2017 Sharpedge.

I think the Dark Blues (on your photo) and the Perma-Sharp (golden pack for Turkey) are somewhat similar in sharpness (not very sharp). But then again I never did a real comparison of them. If you excuse me I just poured a glass of vodka and thinking straight is becoming a challenge. 😁

P. S. In a few months both the dark blues and the Perma-Sharp from PPI won't be available. So it's all old news. I have bought an unbelievably huge stash of PPI (and other) blades so I couldn't care less.

Last edited:
I have bought an unbelievably huge stash of PPI (and other) blades so I couldn't care less.

I am starting to wish I had too. Even though I don't use them that much, a few hundred each of Nacets and Permasharps would be a nice safety net - I only have about 50 of each I think. Still, too late to worry about it now!

I am starting to wish I had too. Even though I don't use them that much, a few hundred each of Nacets and Permasharps would be a nice safety net - I only have about 50 of each I think. Still, too late to worry about it now!

Still on sale in the UK, but you are in the GRUYERE so yeah it's probably too late to get some more!

Thank you for posting your thoughts and comparing the two blades, Ivan. The MIR light blue is my current main blade and I have a decent supply for the next several years. Though I am looking for something just another notch sharper (but not as sharp as BIC CP and Feather) so it looks like the MIC light blues won't quite do it for me. I appreciate the information, saves me from ordering 100 of them!

I'll add just an important observation.

Second shave with the Chinese Platinum in the Progress. The blade becomes smoother. This is not the case with the Russian one (I have used them for more than 4 years), where shave 1,2,3 etc. feel the same to me.

My personal preference is for the blades to be equal on all shaves. But if you are one of those who prefer a blade that changes, this might be it.

I compared the Russian and the Chinese blades in a third razor. RR Superslant L3+.
I am now 120% sure the Chinese blades are a tad less sharp. Some very light resistance both WTG and ATG. Thankfully the 2.00mm gap helped and it was an excellent shave. In very aggressive razors like this one some users might prefer the Chinese blade to the Russian.

Now I need to get an Indian Astra SS.

Whew, I could foresee this happening. Glad I picked up an extra hundred of the Russian blades when I had the chance. 200 along with my other blades should last me til the end. The Russian Swedes are a real luxury.

Whew, I could foresee this happening. Glad I picked up an extra hundred of the Russian blades when I had the chance. 200 along with my other blades should last me til the end. The Russian Swedes are a real luxury.
As I mentioned in my original post, both blades are excellent. My advice is to try the Chinese ones as well. You never know.

As I mentioned in my original post, both blades are excellent. My advice is to try the Chinese ones as well. You never know.

Thanks for the advice. I already have 400 or so China made Vietnam Super Thin Platinums (Japanese Steel). They are quite excellent. But different than the Russian Swedes.

The Russian ones have this unique blade feel that I am not sure how to describe. Feels like finely shaved ice/snow.

No other blade I have experienced have such a feel.

Thanks for the advice. I already have 400 or so China made Vietnam Super Thin Platinums (Japanese Steel). They are quite excellent. But different than the Russian Swedes.

The Russian ones have this unique blade feel that I am not sure how to describe. Feels like finely shaved ice/snow.

No other blade I have experienced have such a feel.
Should I say the joke again: 400 is nothing on this forum. :lol:

The Super Thin Platinum is a rough blade compared to both light blue Platinums (Russia and China). And a tad sharper.

Top Bottom