What's new

First shave with the Gillette Nacet blade

I just had my first shave with the Gillette Nacet after reading all the reviews and the love this blade gets. Some claim that the Nacet is sharp like the Feathers. I completely disagree with this, the Feathers are way way more sharper. I've done 3 passes, WTG, XTG and ATG, I needed a lot of touch ups. If I use the Feather I usually get a BBS with two passes. IMHO the Nacet is super smooth, could this be the Astra SP killer because I really believe it's slightly sharper than the Astra SP I would place it in the Permasharp category. I have a full BBS and no nicks, no irritations etc, it's a good blade but not the best. IMHO the Nacet could be the little brother of the Wizamet Super Iridium, they share the same smoothness but the Wizamet is much sharper.

Here is the thing I have experienced with the Russian DE blades, all of them are super smooth and not aggressive. I've shaved with the Astra SP (RU ones), Permasharps, Wizamets they all share the same smoothness IMHO, perfect for beginners. The Nacet performed very well in my Fatip OC v1, it didn't have that Feather aggressiveness or sharpness I felt like it was hard to nick myself with this blade.

So yeah, IMHO it's an ok blade and maybe a little bit overrated? Maybe I'm just being picky because I have been using the Feather blades for a very long period with the Fatip OC v1. But yeah if you like the Astra SP's, Permasharps then you really have to try this blade out.

I love this hobby and you guys are the best (freaking enablers!)

IMHO, you should use a few of the blades for at least several consecutive shaves before jumping to conclusions on them. I agree the Nacet has many similarities with Perma-Sharp (gold/red pack). Like the Perma-Sharp the Nacet seems to become sharper after the first use. Versus Wizamet, IMHO they are not all that far apart.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Going through the multitude of blades, buying variety pack after variety pack, I committed to using an entire tuck of each to give them all a fair trial. I used different razors to see if there was a “perfect match.” I used an untold number of tucks, all five blades.

Except Nacet.

One shave on three different razors and I tossed them. For me, they are absolutely unusable. I’m glad they work for you, but, for me it was like being in a knife fight.

FWIW, I settled on four blades, which I still rotate: GSB, Gillette Platinum, 7 O’Clock Yellow, and Astra SP. all of my specimens are Russian made.

Going through the multitude of blades, buying variety pack after variety pack, I committed to using an entire tuck of each to give them all a fair trial. I used different razors to see if there was a “perfect match.” I used an untold number of tucks, all five blades.

Except Nacet.

One shave on three different razors and I tossed them. For me, they are absolutely unusable. I’m glad they work for you, but, for me it was like being in a knife fight...

I hope you don't mind if I nominate you for the annual "YMMV Award". 🏅

:biggrin:

Nacet blades really have nothing to do with Feather. They are anything but sharp. I've heard many definitions about them, like mostly, soft, smooth, gentle... to me, they're just dumb.
Once again I convince myself that I prefer aggressive razors in combination with very sharp blades - Feather, KAI... This way I get BBS very easily without repeating the same areas many times (the so-called polishing, for me digging in one place)
Glad I only ordered 200 Nacets of which I've tried two to make sure the first one wasn't the defect, the second one was just as dumb.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I don't know why anyone would compare Nacet to Feathers, in terms of sharpness, IMO Feathers are in their own ballpark.

Unfortunately, everything in wet shaving seems very subjective. All we can really do is share what works, and what doesn't work for us, and hope there is some commonality that we can go by.

I've tried 35 varieties of blades. Nacets are my favorite. But I can also get great shaves with Dorco ST301s and those often get mentioned in the "worst blades ever" threads. 🤷‍♂️

Even with all the YMMV, I still enjoy reading and considering the advice of my peers.

Congratulations!

Feathers are a great comparison!! For me, Feather blades are sharper on shave 1 and they are basically done by shave 4. In contrast, Nacets are routinely good for 7-10 (sometimes more) very fine shaves!

So, it depends on whether you rate blades after one or two shaves or if you rate the entire ‘life‘ of the blade.

Congratulations!

Feathers are a great comparison!! For me, Feather blades are sharper on shave 1 and they are basically done by shave 4. In contrast, Nacets are routinely good for 7-10 (sometimes more) very fine shaves!

So, it depends on whether you rate blades after one or two shaves or if you rate the entire ‘life‘ of the blade.
Feathers are my favorite blades, it's my number 1 blade. Compared to the Nacet the Feathers are super aggressive.

My favorites have been Nacets for some time, although recently I'm leaning more towards the Perma-Sharp as my favorite blade, closely followed by the ol' standby, the Astra SP.
There are lots of great blades out there, but those are my Top Three. Some work better in one razor than another. As many have said, YMMV.
Example: My first three shaves with my new Pearl Flexi were all with a Perma-Sharp and all were great shaves. Switched to a Nacet for my fourth shave and it was lousy. So go figure. 🤷‍♂️

On the very rare occasion I use DE, nacet would be one of my preferred blades. As @Eben Stone said, even with Dorco 301s I can get a decent shave. I have to admit that I wouldn't complain if the only blades I have available are 301s and nacets.

But I think for general day to day shaves I'll stick to straights. Perhaps that's why I can get a decent shave with almost any DE blade (British jewel blades excepted, and I just can't like Big Ben blades).

have always had nice shaves from my Nacets!!

coates almond dovo merkur vision gillette nacet taylor of old bond st james april 18 2018.jpg

I just had my first shave with the Gillette Nacet after reading all the reviews and the love this blade gets. Some claim that the Nacet is sharp like the Feathers.
So I have never used a Feather, but to my face the Nacet is the sharpest in this Gillette group and in this order [Nacet, Permasharp, 7 o'clock Permasharp, Silver Blue, Platinum, Astra SP]. Anyone disagree with my ranking?

I happen to agree, but that's not worth much.
I've read someone's List so many times and started thinking we were kindred spirits until there was something in there that was really "off the wall."
Have to try those Feathers for yourself - Great Blade Exchange is a wonderful thing!

So I have never used a Feather, but to my face the Nacet is the sharpest in this Gillette group and in this order [Nacet, Permasharp, 7 o'clock Permasharp, Silver Blue, Platinum, Astra SP]. Anyone disagree with my ranking?

Close enough. I think few would dispute Feather being the sharpest blade. That alone does not make it the best blade.

Most seem to only find that it's sharpness lasts for a shave or two. Many find it so sharp that the first shave is rough and uncomfortable.

The blades you mention, as well as many others fall not that far below Feather down the list. There are plenty of sharp razor blades out there...

Yup. I really like Nacets, along with Perma-Sharps and, alas, Polsilvers.

Alot of folks love BIC blades. They never worked for me.
The BIC is awesome for me in one razor: Henson Ti Mild. Polsilvers were great, and for me, the Wizamet blades are close enough. I like Nacets when I want smooth but sharper than a Wizamet

Top Bottom