What's new

Gillette Platinum (Light Blue) Russian v Chinese

The light blue Platinums are a product for Europe. We had the Chinese ones here only 2 months ago. Some stores still have the Russian ones. It will take some time, especially since you are in Australia.

That makes sense. Until that time, I guess I'll just have to make do with the bare couple of thousand blades I already have.

I know, I know... those are rookie numbers :)

Got some Chinese Light Blues from razorbladesclub. The 50-box is the same as the Russian. The manufacture date states 10/23.

Unfortunately the wax is very, very minimal on this blade, I would have liked to see more. Hopefully the blade hasn't moved too much in its wrapper and the edges are still nice and fresh.

Will use one in my second gen Aristocrat Jr in the morning and see how we go.

A good first shave.

---------------------
Gear:
Omega 48
Cella (Brick)
Aristocrat Jr #51/3
Gillette Platinum New Light Blue, China (1)
Alum
Proraso Green splash

Process:
3 minute face lather
Three pass daily chase of BBS.
---------------------

I didn't do the best job with my lather either - drier than I usually manage to make it (still half asleep I guess). But it didn't matter - the shave was still excellent.

One particular preparation I made before this shave was spending a week with one of the new Chinese KCGs - I'm interested to see if this and the KCG are the same blade with different marks.

(Incidentally, the Chinese KCG has begun to grow on me. Yes, it is a noticeably different blade from the Russian KCG, but I am starting to find the Chinese version better than I initially thought - it is a good blade that responds well to a particularly light touch.)

The jury is still out for me on the family connection between the Light Blue & the KCG. In part this is because these are clearly closely related blades with many similarities in feel. Nevertheless, my first shave has me leaning towards them being different blades, with the Light Blue being potentially a little sharper, I think.

One thing that happened with the Light Blue that has not happened with the KCG, was going through some typical pickup strokes and finding nothing to pick up. This is unusual for me as I have some hairs on my cheeks that lie very flat and usually need the extra chasing. Not today.

So far I think I prefer the Light Blue. But I need more time alternating these blades to get a better sense of the connection between them.

A good first shave.

---------------------
Gear:
Omega 48
Cella (Brick)
Aristocrat Jr #51/3
Gillette Platinum New Light Blue, China (1)
Alum
Proraso Green splash

Process:
3 minute face lather
Three pass daily chase of BBS.
---------------------

I didn't do the best job with my lather either - drier than I usually manage to make it (still half asleep I guess). But it didn't matter - the shave was still excellent.

One particular preparation I made before this shave was spending a week with one of the new Chinese KCGs - I'm interested to see if this and the KCG are the same blade with different marks.

(Incidentally, the Chinese KCG has begun to grow on me. Yes, it is a noticeably different blade from the Russian KCG, but I am starting to find the Chinese version better than I initially thought - it is a good blade that responds well to a particularly light touch.)

The jury is still out for me on the family connection between the Light Blue & the KCG. In part this is because these are clearly closely related blades with many similarities in feel. Nevertheless, my first shave has me leaning towards them being different blades, with the Light Blue being potentially a little sharper, I think.

One thing that happened with the Light Blue that has not happened with the KCG, was going through some typical pickup strokes and finding nothing to pick up. This is unusual for me as I have some hairs on my cheeks that lie very flat and usually need the extra chasing. Not today.

So far I think I prefer the Light Blue. But I need more time alternating these blades to get a better sense of the connection between them.
I don't have a Chinese made KCG. But can tell you for sure the Russian KCG and the Russian light blue are not the same blade. The light blue is sharper. And I don't have a reason to believe the Chinese KCG will be the same as the Chinese light blue.

I don't have a Chinese made KCG. But can tell you for sure the Russian KCG and the Russian light blue are not the same blade. The light blue is sharper. And I don't have a reason to believe the Chinese KCG will be the same as the Chinese light blue.
Thanks, that makes sense.

Second shave, same setup.

I am now pretty sure that these are different from the Chinese KCGs. The Light Blues are sharper, although they still have the signature ultra-smoothness that I see as the fundamental raison d'être of the Gillette Platinum family of blades (I have about 700 Dark Blues).

These new Light Blues are good blades.

Top Bottom